Help with two weeks in Turkey

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting Turkey May 2013 for 12 days (not including fly in and out days). We will arrive from London. We are a couple in our early thirties with a child (will have turned 4 when we travel). Our tentative plan is as follows

Wednesday 5/8/2013 Day 1 Late arrival at Izmir (from London). Drive to Kusadasi
Thursday 5/9/2013 Day 2 Kusadasi (day at beach and about town)
Friday 5/10/2013 Day 3 Kusadasi (early visit to Ephesus then Selcuk)
Saturday 5/11/2013 Day 4 Drive to Pamukkale (via Aphrodisias)
Sunday 5/12/2013 Day 5 Day at Pamukkale / Heirapolis, then back to Izmir
Monday 5/13/2013 Day 6 Very early morning flight Izmir to Cappadocia
Tuesday 5/14/2013 Day 7 Cappadocia (Ballooning, then Goreme)
Wednesday 5/15/2013 Day 8 Cappadocia (Underground cities)
Thursday 5/16/2013 Day 9 Fly to Istanbul
Friday 5/17/2013 Day 10 Istanbul
Saturday 5/18/2013 Day 11 Istanbul
Sunday 5/19/2013 Day 12 Istanbul
Monday 5/20/2013 Day 13 Istanbul
Tuesday 5/21/2013 Day 14 Morning flight to Edinburgh

Aside from general feedback on the itinerary a few specific questions

a) Is 5 days in Istanbul too much given the overall trip is a fairly brisk 12 days. Would an extra day in Cappadocia make more sense
b) What is a good base, Selcuk or Kusadasi. We wanted to spend a day relaxing before we get ruined out with Ephesus, Aphrodisias, Pammukale/Hierapolis
c) Any alternate ideas on spending time in the Selcuk area. Is Pammukale worth it... other ideas instead of doing that drive which does seem a little out of the way.
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 07:11 PM

Shhonye...thee scanned scenes of Turkey may help you decide the value of time spent in each sector of the country.

https://picasaweb.google.com/stuartt...nesOfIstanbul#

Below will be the countryside (Pamukkale, Aphrodisias, Cappadocia, Lake District, Antalya, Turquoise Coast, etc....it you decide to stay in Kusadasi (koosh-a-desu), the beaches range from non-existent to not great, but this hotel (Kismet) I recommend, is outstanding, with a view over the harbor..see pics).

stu
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 07:14 PM

Shoonye (continued)

http://picasaweb.google.com/stuarttower/ScenesOfTurkey#
Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 10:06 PM
kja

a) Is 5 days in Istanbul too much given the overall trip is a fairly brisk 12 days. Would an extra day in Cappadocia make more sense

That really depends on your interests and how your child will react to various options. I was glad to have just over 3 full days in Cappadocia, but I travelled solo and took several very long hikes (which might be too much for your child). The good news is that you should be able to find plenty of wonderful experiences whichever way you allocate your time!

c) Is Pammukale worth it...

Again, depends! I haven't heard of any travertine formations like those of Pamukkale anywhere else in the world (which doesn't mean they don't exist!), and they are impressive! And while I'm glad I saw both Hierapolis and Aphrodisias, there are enough similarities between them that I can imagine an argument to visit only one.

> Any alternate ideas on spending time in the Selcuk area.

I believe some people head south for a day trip to Prienne, Mellitus, and and Didyma. And some people recommend a relaxing day at Foca....

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses.
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 06:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Before any comments, do not forget that you probably should stay the night before your flight to Cappadocia in selcuk rather than Izmir if you are returning rental cat at the airport. If you are returning car at your hotel in izmir, it may be simpler to take a taxi to the airport from izmir early in the morning.

Kusadasi does have some excellent beaches depite what my good friend Tower says, but they are not inside the city limits. Nort of thje city and North of kismet hotel asre some good hotels or resorts directly on the beach and only 20-25 kilometres from Ephesus/Selcuk.

Kismet is an excellent hotel but not for a four year old for whom there will not be any beach but a concrete platform next to the sea.

In your place, I would take the rest at the beach instead of rushing around for more sightseeing.

Istanbul has more than enough to excite a 4 year old, Rahmi Koc Museum, Bosphorus boat tour, miniaturk, Florya aquarium, to name a few fun spots for him.

Take precautions against sun, allergies and dehydration while at Selcuk.Kusadasi.Pamaukkale.Ephesus
Old Oct 24th, 2012, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

otherchelebi....thanks much for the helpful advice. Do you have any hotel recommendations for kusadasi that are next to the beach as well as for Selcuk.
Old Oct 25th, 2012, 03:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
We stayed at Tusan on the way to selcuk from kusadasi many many years ago and found it reasonably priced and child friendly, but it could have changed.

At Selcuk, we stayed at Nazhan http://www.nazhan.net/ and liked it. Try the new rooms which are larger. The owner, Cemil, is a taciturn but good man. (pronounced 'gem-mill') We were both on the board of a now defunct company called Black Sea Trade in the 1990's.

bella, next door to Nazhan also has friendly owners and a good restaurant but very small rooms.