Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with train routes between Engelberg and Zermatt

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please offer your opinions on these three train routes (traveling with Swiss Pass) between Engelberg and Zermatt. Which would be the most scenic and/or easiest to do?

Rt #1:
Engelberg--Luzern--Olten--Brig--Zermatt

Rt #2:
Engelberg--Luzern--Goschenen-Andermatt

Rt #3: 1 hour shorter, but 5 trains, instead of 4
Engelberg--Luzern--Konolfingen--Thun--Brig--Zermatt (What is Konolfingen? There is only a 3 minute connection time there; is that enough?)

I also had the impresson that we had to change trains in Brigg for a private rail line to Zermatt, but Rt #2 doesn't do that. Also the trip from Goschenen to Andermatt is only 10 minutes?

We'll be returning from Zermatt to Grindelwald via Brig--Spiez--Interlaken Ost

Thanks for any suggestions anyone may have.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Intrepid

Unless you are coming from another direction (from Geneva for instance) and changing at Visp, you HAVE to go through and change in Brig to get to Zermatt. You'll be changing to the BVZ (Brig-Visp-Zermatt) Railway which as you already know is covered by the Swiss Pass. The station for the BVZ is across the street from the one in Brig...go out the front doors and turn right...you can't miss it.
The scenery above Visp (the first stop after Brig) on the way to Zermatt is pretty impressive and portions of the trip are "on the rack" since the ascent is so steep...try to do this while it is daylight.
From Andermatt the usual route to Zermatt would again be through Brig but this time taking the Furka-Oberalp Railway..first to Brig...same station as the BVZ..and then onward. The portion Andermatt-Brig is part of the traditional "Glacier Express" route and the scenery around Andermatt is pretty spectacular, too. I'll check this latter route for you and reply in a subsequent post.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 05:56 AM

Good morning, Clousie
Going into www.sbb.ch., which is the
railway schedules for CH. and
VON - Engelberg
NACH-Zermatt
VIA -Brig
DATUM - Morgen
Zeit - 08 00
You come up with six possible rails that
leave between 0645 and 0945 ,it takes
from three to five changes of trains
and between 6 to 7 hours of travel.
Would suggest Verbindungs 3 or 6 with
three changes each. Upon arrival in
Brig you have to change to the BVZ
narrow gauge railway and that requires
you walking out of the SBB station to
the BVZ platforms in front...If you
have 1st class tickets, they usually
load at the far right end of the platform, however both classes fill up
very fast, seeking goo seats for the trip. Most hotels will arrange pickup
upon arrivalin Zermatt, as it is a car-
less town. Think the rail between Luzern to Andermatt and then to Brig
is very senic as well as Brig to Zermatt.....If you have any questions
on Zermatt drop me a line, have been
there about four times over the years
and found it a very wonderful town..
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il...

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 06:04 AM
Intrepid

I agree with Richard...the route through Andermatt will be the most scenic of all these you've proposed (I just checked the schedules to be sure you had the right ones..you do). You needn't be intimidated by the changes involved or the times...Swiss trains are notoriously on time and the changes usually involve only moving from one platform to another..and if you look at the departures posters which are on each platform it will be easy to find where your train leaves from.
Zermatt is, as Richard say, car-less but you can easily get one of the electric golf-cart-like taxis to your hotel...and some are within easy walking distance. Enjoy your trip.

Old Jun 30th, 2003, 07:10 AM

The train ride Luzern-Andermatt is incredibly scenic. By the way, Clousie, did you see my reply to your question about a Halde Mt.? FYI: There is a Haldigrat Mt. between Engelberg and Stans.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 08:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate the comments you've made so far. The train going through Andermatt does sound better so far.

Intrepid: You said the train from Andermatt to Brig goes through the same station. Since Brig isn't listed on the official schedule, is it possible that we just stop there, and don't actually change trains?

Chris: Yes, I did see your post about Halde Mt and appreciate your help. I checked the Haldigrat Mt site, but unfortunately, my high school German is rather limited, or should I say forgotten? I take it that this is a ski mountain? What is the meaning of "grat?"

Richard: I may get back to you with some further questions about Zermatt. We'll be there three nights and naturally, plan to hike. Were last there 10 years ago. Do you know anything about the English church there? May I contact you via email?