Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP! What's the cheapest way to get from Morzine to Zermatt?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Morzine in February, but have surprised my partner with a trip to Zermatt starting the day he thinks we're flying home!
I'm trying to work out the best way of getting from Morzine to Zermatt and then from Zermatt back to Geneva airport!

I've had a transfer quote of £1,100 which is just ridiculous.
I've read a few forums that have said train is the best way, but I'm a bit confused about how it works once you get into Zermatt as it is car-free.

Does anyone have any idea of price of train fares as well?
If anyone can help me I'd appreciate it massively!
Thanks!
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 08:12 AM

check www.sbb.ch - Swiss Railways site for schedules and fares for all Swiss trains - you take the train right to Zermatt - if driving you have to park at Tasch a few miles out of town and take the shuttle trains to car-free Zermatt.

For lots of info on Swiss trains check www.swisstravelservice.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

From Morzine you'll have to take a bus or train or combo to Geneva, and then head by train for Visp, transferring there to the mountain train to Zermatt.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply!

I know the closest train station to Morzine is Cluses.
Is there no way of getting from there to Visp? Just to try and cut out the going back to Geneva part lol!

I've tried to look on the links you attached but when I try to click on a transfer ticket it says there's an error! I'll have another look later as it might be that I'm viewing it on my iphone!

Thanks again, massive help!
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 08:56 AM

Get to Geneva, train to Zermatt.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 10:09 AM

The Swiss Transfer Ticket costs about $130 or so and gives you fully flexible travel on the most direct train route from the Swiss border train station to any place in Switzerland and back out to any border or airport - need not be the same one you came from. this ticket is I believe only sold abroad - check the sites I listed above for current pricing - if just going to one place and back from outside Switzerland it is no doubt the best deal to go to Zermatt and back out of the country - or seems to be. Just hop on any train anytime - there is another rail route to Visp that goes via Chamonix and Martigny but I think it would take longer than going on the main rail line link via Geneva.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 10:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You do NOT need to go "back to Geneva" to get to Visp from Cluses by rail but what you WILL have to do is transfer several times. You can get trains from Cluses to St-Gervais-les-Bains where you transfer to a train to Vallorcine; in Vallorcine you transfer to the train to Martigny and in Martigny you transfer again for a train to Visp and transfer a final time to the train up to Zermatt.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 10:35 AM

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/que...fasScrollDir=2

Best way is to go via Geneva - as outlined on www.bahn.de/en - which has schedules for all European trains.

Dukey's way via Chamonix is much more scenic but not sure if it is quicker or much slower - check that route out - if not much more time take it - one of the most awesomely scenic trains the whole way from St-Gervais-les-Bains to Visp - I would take this route if it did not take too long.
Old Dec 16th, 2014, 12:42 PM

Dukey's right on and www.bahn.de/en wrong on - well not wrong but for some reason did not mention the rail route that Dukey did which is both quicker and infinitely more scenic than any route via Geneva or that area. Two simple changes of train - in St-Gervais-les-Bains because of a track width difference (from standard gauge to narrow gaauge at St-Gervais and at Vallorcine, Swiss/French border town where everyone gets off one train and on another - there used to be thru Chamonix-Martigny trains but I can't see them now - no problem though with those two simple changes and the overall cost even at full fare should be less than $100 p.p. each way or less.

That is a sweet way to go - one of Europe's most scenic trains to Martigny from St-Gervais and also the Glacier Express route from Visp to Zermatt, end of the line.