Help with this apartment location in Barcelona

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have found an apartment that I think has most of what we need for our visit in October. As far as I can tell it is located on Jonqueres near Via Laietana close to placa D'Urquinaona. I hope I spelled all that right! I asked a friend from Barcelona about this area and she seemed to think the Eixample would be better. So now I am second guessing myself. Anyone have any thoughts on this location? We are traveling with our one year old and my parents if that matters.

Thanks,

Betsy
Old Jun 5th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Do you have the apartments street address. If so, then the location is easy to check at http://www.bcn.es/guia/
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Robert2533, I don't actually have the address, but it is called Jonqueres Uno and it says it is in Il Borne. I am guessing that that is at the intersection of Jonqueres and Via Laietana. But what I really want to know is if that is a good place to be. Would it be better to try to find something in the Eixample?
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 07:47 AM

I personally don't have any problem with the El Born, but the Eixample is a nicer area overall. The area where the apartment is, near Plaça D'Urquinaona, isn't bad. It's just east of Plaça d' Catalunya, behind El Corte Ingles. Via Laietana is a main avenue. It's a busy area, but not too noisy, or touristy. The upper Ramblas is about a 10-minute stroll away.

The following is from Maribel's latest updates to her guide to Barcelona:

El Born
While in the Barri Gòtic, continue your explorations to the young, hip, trendy, happening (and tourist mobbed), constantly gentrifying, Soho or Notting Hill type El Born (alternatively spelled Borne) district. Or soak up the atmosphere of this lively neighborhood after your visit to the Picasso Museum. Be sure to visit the pretty Santa María del Mar basilica on the Placa Santa María. It's one of the best examples of elegant Catalan Gothic style, from the 14th century, with beautiful stained glass. Open daily from 9:00 - 1:30 and 4:30 – 8:00 pm. On Sunday it’s open from 10:00 - 1:30 and from 4:30 – 8:00 pm. If you hit the basilica during closing hours, just go for tapas at many of the trendy bars with spill over terraces in this area, or have a great seafood lunch at the counter of lively Cal Pep, just down Carrer Vidriera to the tiny Plaça les Olles (but arrive at 1:00 when doors open). You’ll also find many trendy, too-cool-for-school shops here in El Born, such as Custo Barcelona, Bubó and Xocoa chocolates and Origens99.9%. Or in the AM visit the newly opened Mercat de Santa Caterina.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 08:23 AM

Yep that's a good, central location. 5 mins walk from gotico and all its prettiness, 10 mins to el borne centre.
2 mins from plaza catalunya and the shopping centre, which is your city centre and you can catch the metro from there to anywhere. pl. urq is never too busy, it seems to be just off the tourist circuit (even tho its right behind El Corte Ingles).
under 5 minutes to las ramblas. also the yellow line metro is on urquinaona (which also has a nice, less touristy irish bar with good food-the George Payne), which goes to the beach. and the sun's still out in october.
Good area guide for you (which sightseeing thing is in which):
http://www.way2stay.com/area-info-Barcelona-en-52.htm
This website also has some fine vacation apartments, if you havent booked yet.
very cute mexican restaurant on Via Laietana- Rosa Negra.
You'll be able to walk everywhere, depending on your parents i guess.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your responses. It makes me feel better. The apartment I am looking at is through way2stay. I have never done apartment rental before, but it seems the way to go with a little kid and four adults.
Old Jun 6th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Betsy-
Just returned with my wife from 4 days in BCN...an awesome city. We did the apartment thing (with friendlyrentals.com) and they were great. The apartment was in Barceloneta...we thought a perfect location...great restuarants handy and a minute to the beach!!! Don't know about your folks...but there isn't any ADA requirements or barrier free regulations...agility is a bonus!!!
Be sure to have a least one meal along the harbor in Barceloneta...incredible seafood!!!
Old Jun 8th, 2007, 03:15 AM

I suppose it depends what you want from the location. Barceloneta is very pretty but could be cumbersome if your folks don't walk very far. The beach is near..the beach.. and supermarkets and little tapas bars, which are good. But if you're going about the city sightseeing, the Jonqueres location would be better definitely for pitstops for lunch and naps. And yes way2stay.com are great to work with. Did you read the area guide?
Its extremely central, El corte Ingles (2 mins away)has a huge supermarket downstairs.
The beach, barceloneta metro is 2 stops on the metro from urquinaona.
It's a lovely time to be in Barcelona, I hope you all enjoy it!
Old Jun 9th, 2007, 02:56 PM

eastave,

If you go into El Corte Inglese be sure to visit the cafeteria on the top floor for fantastic views of the city.

Jim
Old Jun 11th, 2007, 02:22 AM

i second the el corte ingles view. its worthwhile going up all 9 floors on the escalator!