Barcelona apartment opinions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! We've been researching Barcelona apartments through the Habitat website which many of you recommended, and I wanted to see if anyone had opinions on the 2 we've narrowed down to. I believe the location is very similar, but I appreciate any thoughts or concerns. Thank you!

Princessa 3 - pros are larger bathroom and more square footage; con is first floor (but since it notes "with lift" i assume that is what i'd considered 2nd floor in US?)

http://tinyurl.com/2kftqn

Sots 3 - pro is terrace, con is smaller shower and less space

http://tinyurl.com/2ksm29

Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

ttt - come on guys, i even figured out how to use tinyurl thanks for any insight you might have on either apt or location!
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 12:37 PM

beckytx,
The locations are both similar as they're both in the Old City (Ciutat Vella).

The Sots 3 is technically in the lower Gothic Quarter, near very busy (and noisy) Via Laitana, not quite as "hip" a location, I don't think.

The Princessa 3 lies further east in the trendy, young, hip, urban-chic, lively 24/7 area of El Born with lots of cafes, bars, clubs, restaurants (Commerc 24 and Santa Maria just around the corner).
Think of El Born as the Barcelona equivalent of NYC's Soho or Tribeca. Has a NYC downtown vibe.

If I had to choose between the 2, I'd choose Princessa 3 (yes, 1st floor is 2nd floor US).
It looks more chic and more archetecturally interesting.

And I would always go with more square interior footage, all things being equal.

The Habitat 1 bedroom apartment that I'd like to rent someday (thanks to Nikki's review) is the Pedrera in the chic Eixample, which is the area we prefer, but we're not youngsters anymore O and it's 20 euros per day more expensive.

Hope this helps you to decide!
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Wow - the Pedrera looks beautiful! I think for our first visit we'll really like to be in Born, and its very good to know about the busy Via Laitana. I replied to Habitat that we'll take the Princesa 3. Thanks so much!
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:29 PM

oops,
Make that "architecturally". In the neighborhood of Princessa 3, you'll have some great tapas bars/restaurants like the legendary, super famous "lunch counter" Cal Pep on Placa de les Olles,

the less known but excellent Boss Born on Placa Palau,

an authentic place for Basque pintxos (tapas), Euskal Etxea, Basque Cultural Center, on Placeta Montcada

a pleasant wine bar with outdoor terrace, La Vinya del Senyor on Placa Santa Maria in front of the Basilica

a traditional, old-style bar for cava, anchovies, El Xampanyet, on also Montcada

chocolate/dessert sampling at Bubó on Caputxes

food shopping and sampling at the Mercat de Santa Caterina on
Francesc Cambo

a great place for coffee/snacks after a visit to the Picasso Museum, the Textil Cafe on Montcada-music at night

plus the two avant-garde, cutting edge small plates restaurants mentioned in my first post.

The Time Out Barcelona 08 is a great guide to take along.

Enjoy El Born!
Old Jan 24th, 2008, 03:58 AM
Original Poster

That is great info! Eating is top vacation priority for us, so I really appreciate these recommendations. Thanks Maribel!