Help with prague vacation

Old Dec 26th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with prague vacation

I would like to go to Prague on May 26th and want to return on June 6th. While in Europe I would also like to go to vienna and Budapest. I would like to go on a shoestring, but every time I see a special it is sold out. All ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 01:42 PM

HI
Okay, you'll have about 10 days?
First, you don't have to listen to me, but I'd recommend you consider going to two of the three cities so as not to shortchange them.

Getting from one city to another will take half to 2/3 of a day; you might want to travel in the evening if you can so as to lose less sightseeing time.

Whether it's two or three cities, try checking in (no pun intended) at Czech Airlines and Austrian Air to see what vacation packages they offer. Go-today also sometimes has well-priced packages, though I'd check out the location of the hotels to make sure they are central.
www.tripadvisor.com also has guest comments on hotels, in addition to here at fodors.

I believe that ricksteves.com, frommers.com, and lonelyplanet.com cater often to budget travelers and they may have some tours or suggestions.

I have files on Vienna and Prague; if you'd like to see them, email me at
[email protected]
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 01:58 PM
rex

Just reflecting my own tastes - - but of the destinations nearest to Prague, Vienna is not nearly as appealing (strictly my own opinion here) as say...

Poland (only been there very briefly to the area around Jelenia Gora) - - especially Krakow and vicinity (never been there)

Munich and Salzburg

or

Berlin (so much to love, so alive) and.or Dresden (never been there).

or

other destinations in Czech Republic.

Make sure and spend some time browsing/reading at http://www.livingprague.com and at http://www.inyourpocket.com

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 02:25 PM

Yes, I have friends who combined a trip to Prague with Berlin, and as much as they liked Prague (and most people on this forum do) they absolutely fell in love with Berlin.
Old Dec 26th, 2004, 02:40 PM

I agree that for 10 days 3 cities is too much - a large part of your time wil be spent traveling.

If economy is one of your key concerns I would stick to Prague and Budapest - cheaper than Vienna, Berlin, Munich or somewhere in Germany.

Not sure what you mean by "specials". Is this airfare? Packages??

For airfare I think you need to check every day until you run into the day the special appear. If you;re talking packages - I think you can do better on your own with checking airfare (above), modest lodging (how about a pension or a hostel) and basic train between the two cities.

this trip can be done very econoically if you plan properly!