Help with potential trip route please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2014, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the early stages of planning a trip to southern France/northern Spain for June 2015. I am considering flying from Toronto to Marseille but back to YYZ from Barcelona. I have found a fight for under 800$ which seems to be a good deal. From Marseille, I'd like to travel to Montpellier, Nimes (day trip from Montpellier), Toulouse, Carcassone and end in Barcelona for the remaining 5 days. My trip to France May 2014 included Provence so I'm not interested in that area this year and I have never been to Spain.
Is this feasible for 12 days? Toulouse and Carcassone are top of my list to visit in France so would it be easier to fly in/out of Barcelona but take a train to Toulouse/Carcassone and drop Montpellier/Nimes? If I fly in/out from Barcelona I could add 2 days to the trip for about the same plane fare.
Thanks for your help.
Old Dec 6th, 2014, 11:12 AM

It is very feasible - no need to rent a car, you can travel by train. Train from Marseilles to Montpellier. Use Montpellier as a base to visit Nîmes, trains are very frequent between the two towns. Take a train from Montpellier to Carcassonne and to Toulouse, and take one of the fast direct trains from Toulouse to Barcelona. Fly out of Barcelona.
Old Dec 6th, 2014, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I am happy that I can still include Montpellier and Nimes during our trip. Would you recommend any other day trips from Montpellier?
Old Dec 6th, 2014, 11:44 PM

Pezenas, Beziers and the Roman ruins of Enserune, Narbonne and the Canal de la Robine, Aigues-Mortes ..............
More info here : http://www.ot-montpellier.fr/en/around-montpellier-546
Old Dec 7th, 2014, 03:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. I will start planning my itinerary now that my route is finalized.