Best travelling Dordogne to Barcelona?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2017, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. In mid-May we will leave the Dordogne area after 10 days and head for Barcelona. We thought the scenic train Toulouse -Barcelona through the Pyrenees might be nice , but now hear it's a 13 hr voyage and am cooling on the idea and looking for alternatives, preferably not driving (parking and car return problems). We have allowed about 3 days for the trip , so is there a nice scenic way to do this, with a few nice stops along the way?
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 07:34 PM

If you wish to spend more time in Barcelona, there is a train around 1PM from Brive-la-Gaillarde taking 6:25, changes in Toulouse and Narbonne.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 07:59 PM

I see three daily connections from Brive-la-Gaillarde to Barcelona - at 07:02 (arr. 16:34), at 13:06 (arr. 19.31), and at 13:59 (arr. 20:34).

That’s for a random date in April - the month of May isn't posted yet - at www.sncf.com.

They all require a change of trains at Toulous and again at Narbonne (the near-the-border station where all trains have to change because of the difference in track width).

The slow but scenic yellow train http://about-france.com/tourism/yell...n-pyrenees.htm sound like a lot of fun.
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 08:32 PM

I would go go to Perpigan and take the 1 hr 20 min train to Barcelona. Lots of stuff to do & see around Perpignan.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Just to clarify.....we will have a rented car in Dordogne which we thought might be good to drop off in Toulouse. We could spend the night there before going on to Barcelona possibly by rail. If the scenic trains take about 7 hours that could work.....
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 09:07 PM
kja

Toulouse is charming! Consider giving it a day or two (or three!).
Old Jan 6th, 2017, 11:07 PM

If you already have a car,keep it and drop it off in Perpignan, taking the train from there to Barcelona. You can then do a brief tour of the eastern Pyrenees by car--you could go by Foix up to Latour de Carol and from there go down to Prades and Perpignan, stopping at the sights that interest you. Mont-Louis has Vauban fortifications, Villefranche de Conflent is a <i>plus beau village</i>.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We have a little time till we need to decide, but driving further towards Barcelona could be a good option before switching to the Spanish train. It depends on where we can drop off the car (rented from Bordeaux and driven to Dordogne) without penalty I guess. If they ok Perpignan or another nice French town along the route to Barcelona we'll look at doing that and having a stopover.
Any suggestions?
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 01:56 PM

If you use Autoeurope to rent the car, you will be given a list of all the cities where the car can be returned, which does not necessarily include all the agencies they use, and usually Europcar will provide the car. There is often a pick-up charge for picking up the car at a train station, but no drop-off charge within France. There are a few extra charges such as a pollution tax if you order an automatic, and a road tax. All this will be specified in the contract provided in English by Autoeurope. If you use the "basic" rate, make sure that you do not sign for extra insurance on the actual rental contract from the agency that provides the car.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 03:14 PM

>> If you use the "basic" rate, make sure that you do not sign for extra insurance on the actual rental contract from the agency that provides the car.<<

This is IF your credit card covers CDW. I have not checked recently - but some cards cover a max of 17 days (?) rental, and some cover up to 31 days. Check with your CC company.

Stu Dudley
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 03:26 PM

If you have a car anywhere near Toulouse, go see Carcassonne - read up on it, and visit. Very significant.
In Toulouse, note the bilingual street signs.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Yes the car insurance issue is understood. It's a change of plan to drive instead of train through the Pyrenees (inc. Carcassone ) now.
Seems we CAN drop the car in Perpignon for no extra charge, then bus or train via Costa Brava to Barcelona. Don't know if this a good route ?
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 04:39 PM

There are limited ways to get from Perpignan to Barcelona. I would use the most direct train route. If you want mountains, follow my suggestion to Foix and Latour de Carol on the way to Perpignan. The Col de Jau is another option, but the road gets very narrow, to the point that one gets the impression that it will change into a dirt track, but it doesn't.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Michael. Now we are thinking of driving to Perpignon via Carcassonne and dropping the car , then after a day or two there taking the fast train to Barcelona. We can do a day tour back to see the Dali museum and Gerona during our stay in Barcelona , where we'll have an apartment as a base and be free of bags.
Old Jan 7th, 2017, 11:38 PM

Carcassonne takes half a day. Drive on to Narbonne or Perpignan, via the autoroute if you are in a hurry, or back roads if you have the time to see the countryside.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

I've been assured that local trains Toulouse to Barcelona would be no problem, but also been told there is little co-ordination between France and Spain as to connections when you must change along the way. Anyone have any recent experience doing this? Nothing recent I can find on internet searches.....
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 12:55 PM

For trains between Toulouse and Barcelona, check www.voyages-sncf which will give you the train schedules (usually 4.5hr with a transfer in Narbonne) and the direct bus schedules (about 6.5 hours with no changes).
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 01:10 PM

If you want to take the scenic train thru and not under the Pyrenees and want to break your journey - take the train to La Tour de Carol, on the Spanish border-stay the night in this resort area and continue by train thru the Pyrenees to Barcelona the next day.

But a nicer way is to from La Tour de Carol take the fabled Le Petit Train Jaune -Little Yellow Train from La Tour de Carol thru lovely mountain valleys to Perpignan (or almost -changing before it back to standard gauge trains. then the fast-track to Barcelona.

https://www.google.com/search?q=litt...w=1536&bih=760

If you wanted another gem to break your 2nd day on this route stay in a seaside gem like Couliers, just before the Spanish border.

for lots on these trains check www.budgeteuropetravel.com; www.ricksteves.com and www.seat61.com. www.voyages-sncf.com for fares and schedules.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 01:54 PM

I think you mean Collioure, Pal.
Old Jan 9th, 2017, 06:39 PM
Original Poster

I'd say he does...
As we can return the car to Perpignan without penalty, we are now looking for a scenic route to drive Dordogne to Perpignan over 2-3 days .
Will weather be ok in early May or is there a chance of thick fog or heavy rain? - not good for enjoying mountain passes!
Also a couple of nice places to spend the night in B+B's along the way and any other nice diversions. thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -