Help with Paris!!!

Search

Help with Paris!!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Paris!!!

We were supposed to return from Turkey to Atlanta on the 20th of June after a 2 week cruise. Just found out that hubby has to be in Brussels on the 25th for business. Our return flight from Istanbul takes us through Paris. I have never been. We are thinking about staying over, but at the last minute I am concerned about the budget since $$$$ is not great. I am OK to go to VRBO but am not sure where the best area to stay. I am a first time tourist to the area. I do not want to spend a fortune but AC is a must. What area will give me the most bang for my poor $$$. At this late date our summer plans were made with a budget in mind, but I think it would be crazy to pass up this opportunity. I've always gotten such great help on this board..I am hoping it pans out now.
Thanks

teach 905
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:17 AM

You're looking for hotel bargains in Paris at the height of the tourist season? Or renting a VRBO with AC two months out? The mind boggles.

How about pushing on to Brussels, settling in there, and making a day trip to Paris via Thalys (high-speed train)? Another to Brugges, another to Köln, and (a long day) to Amsterdam?

Or you could spend one night in a hotel in Paris along the RER B line instead of a day trip (my personal favorite is hotel-alixia.com for 69€ weekends), and then continue on to Belgium from Gare du Nord.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:25 AM

Congrats on such a wonderful problem to have. I agree that you should go for it. Compensate for the cost by eating cheaply while you are there- very easy to do. You can pick up breakfast at patisseries, lunch on the run at crepe stands or sandwich shops, and dinner from a grocery or markets (think wine, cheese, bread, roast chicken).

I think you'll get the best bang for your $$$ AND still be near sites a first timer will want to see if you stay in the 1-5 arrondisements.

Some apts. only rent by the week, not nightly but vrbo is a food place to check. If you go the hotel route I find www.venere.com to be very user friendly. You can enter your dates then look at hotels available by location. You can also do a search here to get a discout code for 4% off when reserving through venere.

If you give a rough estimate of your budget you will get many ideas from the Paris experts.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:27 AM

vrbo is a GOOD place to check, not food place to check but I'm hungry as I type...
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:28 AM

For an apartment rental try this guy, parisbestlodge.com. He is really honest and has some nice places.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:28 AM

So you're looking for 5 nights in Paris?
Can you translate those $ signs to an amount for a budget?

Your $ will probably go the furthest in the 4th, 5th, or 6th, which are all tourist friendly and "atmospheric" neighborhoods.

Unfortunately most of the apartments I know only rent by the week, but there are some that will rent for less. AC is fairly hard to come by in apartments in Paris, however, particularly for lower priced ones. What about a nice hotel in the 6th with AC for around $200 a night? Does that suit your budget?
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:35 AM

I can't understand why you want to stay in a vacation rental apt. when you are only going to be in Paris five days, have never been there before, and insist on AC. I think that is a bad decision. Stay in a hotel.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 08:39 AM
ira

Hi T,

I also suggest a hotel.

What's your budget?

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

OK...to clear up confusion...I am willing to stay in a hotel for up to $200 night...still want AC.

I do want to spend the time in Paris...I do not know when I will get over the water again. Next time I will be able to see more of France once I've seen gay Paree.

It' hard to believe how many posts I've had in such a short time. I told dear hubby this was doable. He's the more budget minded one...I don't want to miss the chances that life puts in front of us...

We'd be in Paris for our 34th wedding anniversary. How bad does that sound?

teach 905

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Hi teach,
Sounds like a great idea!

Do a search on this forum for "Paris Hotel AC". This topic has come up a few times.

Mike
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 09:21 AM

I went to a website parisby.com. I like it better than TripAdvisor.
I clicked in the Latin Quarter (nice area to stay for a first timer) I then clicked on "required amenities" and chose no higher than 3*...LOTS of air conditioned hotels came up. One, the Parc St. Severin was listed there VERY popular and I think one of the more knowledgable Fodorites stays there. It is within your budget...and awfully pretty.
Last time we stayed in the 17th and got a bargain farther away from the 1st through the 7th arrond.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:22 AM

Check out Hotel Muguet in the 7th ( paide 125 euro in Sept)
or Hotel Monge in the 5th (I paided 105 Euro in Sept). Both are under $200 and have AC. Ira mentions Hotel Bonaparte in the 6th quite a lot and it is on my list to call for my next trip. Bonaparte is probably the most expensive of the 3.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:10 AM

The Relais Bosquet , in the 7th, has apartments that rent for a nighly rate, 2 night minimum, in your price range. They are air conditioned. After 2 weeks in a cruise ship stateroom, I could understand the need for a bit more space.

http://www.relaisbosquet.com/English/App01_rates.htm
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:14 AM

I forgot to add..I especcially like the fact that the apts. are cleaned and fresh linens every 2 days instead of once a week!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:14 AM

If you have to change your holiday plans (e.g. delay your return home) because your husband has a business meeting, why isn't your husband's company covering at least some of the cost of your accommodation in Paris?

Best Westerns can be a surprisingly charming and are often a good value in Paris. They vary quite a lot in quality, service levels and price - but generally are in the 80-225 euro range.

You might also look at hotels in the Accor Chain (Ibis is at the low end, Mercure or Novotel might be in your price range).
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 04:25 PM

Again, check the sight for www.parisbestlodge.com, a few of his places have A/C.

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:48 AM

I booked two hotels with Venere.com last summer and was very pleased with the accomodations and the price. I feel confident you can find something in your budget with AC. That is wonderful that you'll be in Paris for your anniversary!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 06:40 AM

Check out the Hotel Sainte beuve in the 6th. It's very near Luxenbourg Gardens. I'm not sure if it has AC, but I would grab this hotel if possible--it's a gem. Check out the reviews/photos on trip advisor. Good luck!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:06 AM
tod

Teach - read the report a little further down the page from Peter Krynicki titled 'Paris Trip Impressions'.
He got a great deal at the Millesime Hotel on Rue Jacob.
You can't really beat that for a first timer as it's in a great location.
Check if they have a room with aircon.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Yes the company will be paying for the price of Hubby's ticket to fly him over. We want to make it go as far as possible since we will have already been on a 2 week holiday. We have a deviation charge for 2 of us on the cruise and 5 extra nights in hotel. We'd like to do a more budget conscious Paris...so we can see the sights.
teach905

teach

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -