Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with our trip plans - my boyfriends first time in Italy!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone - I have read so many posts - and enjoyed realing them all - but, still need suggestions. I have been to Italy twice before (Rome, Venice, Florence, Lake Como, and a night in Chianti). I think my boyfriend and I will fly into Rome, for an abridged visit, perhaps spending 2-3 days there. Then, we would like to go visit Pompeii for a day. Here's where I need some assistance. Should we go to Sorrento and go to Pompeii from there, and spend a few days in Sorrento and the AC area? Or, should we just visit Pompeii from Rome, then spend a few days in Umbria or Tuscany? Unfortunately for us, we only have a week to spend (so we can't do both the coast and wine country - could we?)- and it will be in November. Thanks for the help!!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:10 AM
ira

Hi C,

With only 1 week in Nov, and the desire to visit Roem, I sugget that you spend your week in Rome.

You can visit Ostia Antica for the ruins and Orvieto for the hill-town experience.

Nov on the AC or Cinque Terre could be cold, rainy and foggy.

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:17 AM

On the other hand you can luck out as we did last year and the first week in November in Sorrento was warm and wonderful.

Pompeii was a full day for us, a very long day because it was that important. We enjoyed Sorrento and found it a very pleasant change from Rome. But, we also had a full week in Rome.

Keep reading the posts and talk to your boyfriend to see what is most important to him, other than spending the time with you Have a great trip. Deborah
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:23 AM

If it were me, I would probably skip Pompeii in favor of Ostia Antica, a really neat ruined town easily accessed from Rome via public transportation. I would spend a minimum of 4 nights in Rome. From there perhaps you could head up to Umbria, maybe staying in Orvieto or Assisi, and spend a few days exploring the countryside.

I wouldn't try to do too much, as you will likely end up exhausted.

Good luck!
Tracy
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your posts. I know - only 2/3 days in Rome is too short - I guess I was being a bit selfish because I have been there twice and wanted to try to squeeze in a new place for me to visit. Having said that - Deborah you're right - he just wants to spend time with me, right?!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tracy - really - you would skip Pompeii? That is actually the only request my boyfriend made! So, I don't think we can skip that - do you think Pompeii and Ostia Antica would be too much ruins? I do like the idea of Orvieto or Assisi - what is your opinion - best with a car?
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:31 AM

Hi Caramia, unless you are going to rent a car anyway Orvieto can easily be reached from Rome via the train and it certainly would make a lovely day trip. There is a train to I believe to Assisi but that would take longer to reach from Rome. Best wishes.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 01:02 PM

Caramia,

Pompeii is fabulous and if he really wants to do it, I say go for it. We've been to Rome several times. On the fist visit we daytripped to Pompeii. Sure, it was a long day but perfectly doable and we were back in Rome in time for dinner. Ostia is really interesting in and of itself. The sight is pretty large and there are some interesting in-tact ruins. The other benefit is that its not nearly as crowded as Pompeii. Both are fantastic, but I think I would just pick one. Perhaps you can wait until you get there to decide what to do. This way if your boyfriend finds that he loves Rome and doesn't want to leave you won't have to worry about it. If he gets there and he still wants to make time for Pompeii its easy to do because trains leave for Naples quite frequently. Ostia could be done as a half day trip, leaving from the Pyramide station.

We spent five nights in Umbria in March and just loved it. If you are plan on touring around the countryside a bit, I would go with a car because its much easier. But if you prefer to stay in larger towns, such as Orvieto and/or Assisi, trains would be fine. Both towns are fantastic. I prefer Assisi myself, but Orvieto is closer to Rome.

Best wishes,
Tracy
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 02:02 PM

With only one week you'll really only have time for Rome and a possible day trip(s). You can wait to decide on any day trips from Rome once you are there. Trains are very frequent to both Naples and Ostia Antica. Just make sure you get an early start!

I wouldn't suggest less than 5 or 6 days in Rome on a first visit.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 04:08 PM

Although I agree that Ostia Antica is fascinating, if your boyfriend is set on Pompeii, figure out how to fit it in.

It took me 5 trips to Italy somehow to finally get to Pompeii and for me, it outmet my expectations. But then I love roaming around ruins! The hand-held audio guides were great and less restrictive (IMO) than using a tour guide. However, a guided tour from Rome could be the most efficient way to do this as a looong daytrip.

Also like the Umbria idea -- easy enough to access from Rome, either by car or train, (ie, train to Orvieto or Perugia and pick up a car there at the train station) and you have your choice of interesting hilltowns and cities -- and probably some good Fall food specialities (I've only been to Umbria in the spring, so I'm just imagining...)
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 05:20 PM

maybe 3 Rome 3 Sorrento.
That way you could see something new.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:48 PM

Why not spend one night in Pompei? If the weather is fantastic, the next morning take the train to Salerno and if the ferries are running, Take a ferry to Positano. Have lunch, walk around, stay for sunset, and then catch a bus to Sorrento to go back to Roma for a late dinner (I'd make it Lo Zozzone near Piazza Navonna for take out pizza bianca).

If the ferries aren't running, take a bus to Positano, and do the same.

I'd probably make that the last 2 nights of my trip.

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:49 PM

(PS: If the weather isn't fantastic, then just take the train back to Roma for your last day.)
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

All great ideas - thanks for the help. If we decide on Umbria - it sounds like Orvieto would be a nice place to stay. Doe the train go directly to Orvieto, or Assisi? If we stay in Orvieto, how difficult would it be to get around to the other towns without a car?