help with open-ended ticket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bit of a quandry. I'm wanting to book a ticket to London from Dallas, as I'm studying in the UK. I'd like to leave Dallas around January 8-10 or so (but it's flexible as I don't have to be back until Jan 15). The problem is the return from London to Dallas. My program ends September 8, 2007, but I can leave a bit earlier if need be to start graduate school ... the problem is I wouldn't know where/when this is until I decide in April, 2007.

I have enough FF miles with Northwest or American (and partners) for the cheapest economy tickets. Should I try to book using miles and then just pick a fake return date and change later? Or buy a ticket and change later?
Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:18 PM
Neopolitan

One of the great benefits of an American FF ticket is that you can change your return without any penalty (at least you can on their Business Class award tickets). Buying a ticket that you can change later may be much more of a problem or certainly add to the cost for the type of ticket that will allow such a change.

Old Sep 4th, 2006, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I'll have to ask about economy. A larger concern is just the time of year; in August or September, it could be quite hard to find a availability if I change my mind in April. I'm wondering if I may have more options with Northwest because of their more extensive partnership. I think AA only has BA, but they don't let you fly trans-atlantic. I'd prefer AA because you can fly non-stop to Dallas, but I probably won't be in a position to be choosy.
Old Sep 5th, 2006, 04:52 AM

Another option would be to get 2 one-ways. Normally, one-way tickets are expensive. (I have personally seen them at twice the price of a RT.) However, since you're studying, you should qualify for student tickets, which may be no more than half a cheap round-trip. (This was the case on NW when I moved to Germany a few years back.) It's worth checking STA Travel or another student travel agency.

Paul
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Sep 7th, 2006, 07:04 PM

You might want to call the airline and find out when is the earliest date you can get a ticket for September 2007; I suspect it may not be until October of this year.