Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Air Travel
Reload this Page >

Can I redeem my miles with Capital One AND upgrade to business class using my AA miles on the same ticket?

Search

Can I redeem my miles with Capital One AND upgrade to business class using my AA miles on the same ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2004, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried this on the Europe forum but I'm not getting much response there:

I have a Miles One (or Capital One--whatever they're calling it nowadays) credit card. I have enough credits for one RT ticket to Europe. I also have an AA frequent flyer account, and enough miles with them to upgrade both DH and I to business class. Can I redeem both on the same ticket? I need to use Capital One's travel agent to redeem those miles. I've never redeemed upgrades or tickets with AA.
I called AA and their answer was "I don't know because we don't work with that credit card." Big help. I have an email message in to Capital One but I fear their answer will be the same. Has anyone else tried to do this?
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 07:52 AM

The reason the AA agent could not help you was because s/he really could not help you without knowing the fare code that CapitalOne issues ticket with. You need to talk to CapitaOne and ask for the fare code. Once you know that, ask again here or call AA and they will be able to tell you if it's possible to upgrade. AA is one of the best for upgrades as they allow to upgrade from any published fare, but there are few restricted fares they do not allow. Usually, tour fares, their own award tickets, consolidator fares, and maybe 1 or 2 others. So knowing the fare code will get you an answer here or from AA. Without it, it just speculation.

Good luck!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, AA. I called Capital One and they said their fare code differs from day to day. I'd have to call the day I'm ready to buy the ticket to find out if I can swing this. The woman at Capital One said the ticket they issue looks like it was purchased by me, but the credit card company pays for it. She said they use the lowest published fare, although last time I was able to dictate my itinerary which was NOT the lowest published fare, but still under the $1000 limit.

Another potential catch: in the past when I've redeemed my miles with Capital One they've issued a paper ticket (I've already confirmed that Capital One cannot do the AA upgrade for me). Will AA redeem my miles for an upgrade with a pre-existing paper ticket that I bought through (essentially) a travel agent?
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 11:19 AM

As long as the ticket is upgradeable, it should not be a problem. The only difference is that you will have to go in person to a nearest AA ticket office, since this is a paper ticket. There are not many AA city ticket offices left in the US (only 4 I believe). If there is no city ticket office in your area then you will need to go to the nearest airport where AA has a desk. The ticket will have to be reissued, and it can't be done over the phone, because, once again, it's a paper ticket.

I'm not sure, I didn't have a paper ticket for years now, but you may be able to do that on the day you fly. If C fare code (business - mileage or VIP upgrade inventory) is available when you call, they may just confirm you and tell you to wait till the fly day, but I'm not sure about that. I'm actually thinking that you will have to go to the tiocket office as soon as your upgrades clear to have the ticket reissued. What I mean by "as soon" is usuaklly within few days.

Good luck!
Old Aug 19th, 2004, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

I talked to AA again and I CAN do it. I'm nervous about the reissue thing though. On our last trip, I was supposed to have a paper ticket reissued with BA (for a different reason) on flight day during our layover and it became a big mess. They ended up putting a little sticker on the original ticket, telling me "Hopefully this should get you through." Thank goodness it did.

Thanks for your help AAFF.