standby to avoid Sat night stay over

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to fly CLT-Boston on frequent flyers (USAir) in two weeks on a Tues. I would prefer to come and go on the same day or stay only one night to avoid/reduce hotel costs.
It appears the frequent flyer tickets require Sat night stay based on trying to book it online. Can I get around this? Can I fly standby on Tues after my appointment even my front end was just the day before on Mon? My timing is flexible and I don't mind risking the uncertainty of standby.
Old Sep 29th, 2004, 04:09 PM

You can check that with USAir, but what you describe isn't really a standby situation. Same-day standby is one thing. Trying to get out on a Tuesday instead of the following Sunday is a change of ticket. A restricted award ticket doesn't seem like what you should be using for this trip.
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 04:47 AM
Cassandra

Check the requirements of the award ticket -- I was under the impression that most FF award tickets are either issued one-way at a time or essentially the same as non-discounted fares. Of course USAir may be imposing any restrictions it wants on an award ticket, I know. But perhaps there is more than one "level" of FF award ticket and you could spend more miles to avoid the restriction.

Otherwise, stand-by is one of the diciest propositions in airtravel today -- subject to all kinds of limitations, regulations, and priorities (premiere flyers always get first shot), not to mention that planes are generally flying 100% or overbooked nowadays.

Old Sep 30th, 2004, 09:19 AM

<b>Flyboy</b> is totally correct. You are NOT standingby, you are changing a ticket. You have to read the fare rules and it will tell you if it's even possible, and if it is, HOW MUCH WILL IT COST YOU?, because I guarantee it, IT WILL COST YOU.

Standby is only for the same day and many times that has restrictions (certain time of the day, only if the same fare code is available, etc.).

Get the unrestricted award ticket and you won't have to spend a Saturday night, otherwise plan on it or plan on pulling couple of Franklins out of your pocket if changing the ticket is even possible under the fare rules.

Now, all that said, is it still somehow possible? A very long shot but you may find a friendly TA. I wouldn't count on it, because it is a VERY LONG SHOT! Almost non-existent, not someting one would plan their life around, etc..etc..
Old Sep 30th, 2004, 10:36 AM

heidiho...I strongly suggest you call USAir........Just my HO...