Help with my Itinerary

Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with my Itinerary

I have 10 days to hit Germany/Austria/Switzerland. What areas are an absolutely "must see" and what can I skip? I have to idea where to start...Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:12 PM

When will you be travelling? Winter? Where will you land in Europe, and from where will you depart? What are you interested in - - - - scenery, winter sports, castles, churches, big cities?
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:14 PM
ira

Hi j,

In 10 days, you can do 2 of the three and actually see something.

Doing all three becomes an expedition, not a visit.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

I'll be visiting in mid-October and probably will be flying into Munich. But I'm flexible.

In terms of interest, I would say that quaint/old towns, castles and nature would be at the top of my list. Big cities are secondary. Thanks again.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:23 PM

I agree with above. In 10 days you may be able to see 4 destinations--if you hustle. For a first trip I would fly into Munich, get a car, and see these:
Castles of Bavaria
Salzburg/Hallstatt/ Wolfgangsee
Romantic Road--ending back in Munich.

That is a tight itinerary with minimum travel time. Good luck !
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 12:42 PM

What made you choose those countries initially? Knowing that would help in making recommendations.
Old Aug 23rd, 2004, 09:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I returned yesterday from 10 days in the Vaud region of Switzerland. Traveling mostly by train from Geneva thru various towns along the lake out as far only as Montreux. Quaint old towns, castles and nature galore. Don't even get me started on the friendly people, outdoor street markets, music, bakeries, amazing food and scenery.

For me, 10 days is far too short to attempt 3 countries. Your largest percentage of time & money will be spent in transport (airport, train, bus, taxi, hotel lobbies, dragging your suitcase place to place, etc.). What you can "skip" is much time and energy spent moving about.

Your region doesn't have to be mine, but the concept of a deeper experience in a smaller geographic area has always served me well.
Old Aug 28th, 2004, 12:27 PM

2 Sugggestions: (1) Fly to and return from Zuerich. I found that Northwest/KLM has some good rates going there.

Take a train from the airport direcvtly to Lauterbrunnen via Interlaken, for a few days and visit some of the Bernese Oberland (Jungfrau train). Then rent a car out of Interlaken and drive Lindau/Bodensee (Lake Constance). From Lindau drive to Fuessen (Neuschwanstein Castle), and spend the nigh in Garmisch Partenkirchen. From Garmisch drive to Innsbruck and return to Zuerich via Vierwaldstaetter See.

(2) Fly to Munich. Stay outside of Munich, in a place such as Prien on the Chiemsee (lake) Take day trips by train (Salzburg = 45 min., Munich = 1hr, boat (Schloss/palace Herrenchiemsee from Prien) and by car (Berchtesgaden, Hallstatt) and possibly return to Munich by way of Fuessen, Lindau. Both itineraries would be more fun by car. #2 would give you more flexibility in case you encounter bad weather. On those days you can do your train trips. In Munich and Salzburg a car is a pain, thus the train.

In any event, you want to pick up and return the car in the same country (not necessarily city). Inter-country drop-off charges are prohibitively expensive.

If any of the above suggestions make sense, let me know and I can give you more detailed routings.