Munich/Salzburg Itinerary help

Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Munich/Salzburg Itinerary help

I'm planning for dh and I to go to Munich and Salzburg from 12/19 to 1/1. We want to spend 12/23, 24 and 25 in Salzburg, but beyond that are open to anything. And this is one area of Europe I know NOTHING about. So what would you suggest as an itinerary, where to stay and what to see. One factor, we do not want to have a car - we would prefer to use trains. Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

I should say getting into Munich the morning of 12/20 and leaving Munich the afternoon of 1/1. Thanks!
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:03 AM

radio-

Lots of people here know lots about Germany, but for them to help you best they need details, details, details.

What's your budget; do you like museums, culture, good food, etc.?

Personally, I like to get a Railpass if only for the ease it provides in jumping on and off trains whereever you like. If you travel a bunch during this trip, it may work out financially to be a good deal.

Go to Railsaver.com and Bahn.de for some ideas.

...and don't forget the details!

c.
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

I love culture - we like museums a lot too; however, I don't want to be inundated with them. Our budget for hotel would be about 100 E per night. We really want to see some true castles - would there be a good day bus tour for that? We really want to be in the "christmasy" spirit while there. We also want to see some old fashion german villages. Does this help at all?
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:26 AM

From Munich, take a day trip out of Munich on the train to Oberammergau. It is a very cutesy little town. From there you can get to Schloss Linderhof, which is one of Ludwig II's crazy castles.

It's also easy to take a day trip by train to Neuschwanstein, which is the very famous castle in the area.

Where are you flying into and out of?
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

I'm thinking Munich both ways b/c the fares are about $546 pp from JFK and $670 pp from Albany - is this a good rate or should I wait for something better?
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Castles: Neuschwanstein, of course, and Hohenschwangau (a real old castle in the same town), Linderhof.

If you are in the area, see also the Wieskirche (a baroque masterpiece in a small village).

Make a trip to Regensburg, a medieval town with a magnificent cathedral (Pope Benedict preached here), and to Nürnberg where you find everything (Christmas Market, old town, museums, huge castle).

Make a trip to Rothenburg and some other towns on the Romantic Road (You may look into my GoList on the Romantic Road:
http://tinyurl.com/yp4p7a)

Visit Bad Reichenhall (near Salzburg).

And see München. See the three outstanding art museums (Alte Pinakothek, Neue Pinakothek, Pinakothek der Moderne). Do not forget to visit the Deutsches Museum (it is unique).
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Feb 8th, 2007, 11:09 PM

Hi

I was in Salzburg in June 2006.

From Salzburg I did a day trip to the Ice Caves at Werfen, south of Salzburg. Train to Werfen, then a bus to the departure point of the caves. A good day out.

I also did a day trip to Berchtesgaden just over the border in Germany to see Hitler's Eagles Nest. Also a good day trip, there are English guided tours, you go into the bunkers and then a bus up to the Eagles Nest, before the lift to the top.

In Salzbburg, the Fortress is a good trip, the old town etc makes for a pleasant day's stroll.

Hope this helps.

Anton
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 12:09 AM

Just a note - we were in Salzburg over Christmas a few years ago and the Christams Market closed at about noon on Dec 24 and many of the other shops were closed by 3. And most things were closed on Dec 25. We actually did a trip to the Salt Mines that day -just to keep occupied.