Help with Munich

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Help with Munich

We were originally supposed to return a rental car in Munich at the Munich airport. We think it is very far from the Hotel Torbraeu located at Tal 41. There are 2 other Budget car rental places we
can return our car to. Which one is closer:
Riesenfeld Strasse 115 or
Landsberger Street

I don't know the exact name for Landsberger street or the street number.
Would anyone know where exactly these car rental agencies are and which one is the closest?
Thanks,

natjgc
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 01:25 PM

You are right. Makes no sense to drop off the car at the airport unless you approach Munich from the North or Northeast, and want to get rid of the car before you hit inner city traffic.

Of the two you mentioned, Landsberger Strasse is the closest. Budget is at number 18.
You should find the location with viamichelin.com
Almost right at the Budget place there is a tram stop, in case you need to get to Hotel Torbräu after you dropped off the car. (Line 18 goes direct to Isartor, which is where your hotel is)

But there is one other Budget location in Munich, called "München Ost/Haidhausen", which would be even closer to your hotel. Since you did not mention it, maybe you can not choose that one due to limited opening hours...
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 01:29 PM

Well, Riesenfeldstr. is east of Oberwiesenfeld U-Bahn station and far far away from your location. You can either walk from there or take the bus. Landsberger Strasse is the road going from central station to Pasing. It is quite long, about 10 kilometers at least, BUT the S-Bahn always runs parallel and there's tram too. So post the house number and we can tell for sure where on Landsberger it is.
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM

Budget is located at
LANDSBERGER STR.18
and
RIESENFELDSTRASSE 115

I think the Landsberger Str. 18 address will be the most convenient place to return the car.

Your hotel is near the Isar Tor, which is central to what I call "downtown Munich."

Landsberger Strasse is the street on the south side of the main train station - the Hauptbahnof.
The street number of 18 is in the 80339 postal code area which is printed on my map close to the train station itself.

From that I would assume that the rental office is near the train station, which would be a logical location for a rental car office.

The other location is farther away near the BMW works in the northern section of Munich.

If you are leaving by air and return the car at the airport, that would be fine. But if you are returning the car and going elsewhere, the airport is a long ways out. By S-Bahn it is a 45 minute ride.

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Hello again

I have spoken to my husband and we now think we might go to Dachau before we get to our hotel in Munich. We still need to get to our hotel from the car rental.So we are going to drop the car off from Dachau. Do we still use the Landsberger Strasse address or are the other 2 car rental places mentioned closer to where we'll be? natjgc

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 05:22 PM

You will need to travel from the car drop point to your hotel. If the Landsberger Str. location is close to the main train station as I think it is, you will be able to return to your hotel from the main station fairly easily. The Isar Tor is centrally located and near U-Bahn stations.

Old Jun 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Original Poster

Bob,

Do you know how far Dachau is from Landsberger Strasse?? That's what worries me. It could be very far.
I think we could get back to the hotel without a problem. natjgc
Old Jun 11th, 2008, 11:15 PM

>Dachau is from Landsberger Strasse??
Yes it's far, it's another town, about a 20min S-Bahn ride. Still, it's more convenient to go to Munich central than to Riesenfeldstr from there.

Hotel Torbräu at the Isartor is a great location and I love the food too .
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 04:08 AM

The Concentration Camp memorial site in Dachau is 17km from the Riesenfeldstrasse location, and 21km from the Landsberger Strasse location.

Riesenfeldstrasse 115 is easier to reach from Dachau by car. But it's more complicated to go from there to your hotel by public transportation.

Landsberger Strasse 18 is a few kilometers more from Dachau, but you have the tram right in front of the Budget office, which will take you to your hotel within 10 minutes.

Why don't you use one of the online mapping services like viamichelin.com or mappy.com to get an idea of the location of Dachau, your hotel, and the various rental car locations?

Actually, I do not really get what you are worried about. Is driving 20 kilometers from Dachau to one of the Munich locations of Budget "very far" from your perspective?
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

Cowboy1968,

I am a worry wort by nature but you are right, it should work out well.
My travel agent has been useless. I've actually planned about 85% of this trip myself and only used her for a few things. She know nothing of where to return the rental car except for the airport and I had to figure out a closer drop off
point. Thanks to all of you who have given me great advice..
Fodorites are the best.

Logos999,
I found Hotel Torbrau on the internet and it looked great.
I am glad the location is perfect and the food is great too. This is going to be a wonderful trip!

I'll more than likely be asking more questions on Fodors as it gets closer to the trip. natjgc
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

I used the mapping service and got directions.. Thanks so much. natjgc
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 07:18 AM

No worries. I was just worried that I maybe did not understand your question correctly

If you should decide to drop off your car at the Landsberger Strasse location, you can pour down your worries at the Augustiner brauhaus - which is on the other side of the street from the Budget office. Best beer in town.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 08:03 AM

The distance question has already been answered. The Augstiner Haus virtually dictates that you return the car at Landsberger Strasse.

I had forgotten just where it was because I have not been there since I was 22.

That was a lOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOg time ago.
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Don't worry, my husband LOVES beer and he's a physician and he believes it has medicinal value used in moderation of course.
As for me, I really don't like beer but I LOVE wine and I hope to enjoy the wonderful wines Germany had to offer. I esp. love Reisling as I have mentioned in another post I wrote some months back when we were just starting to plan this trip.
We're going to the Mosel Valley for a bit to go to some wineries..
I have written down the name of the brauhaus across the street Thanks for the tip.
Bob, thanks for you input also.
natjgc

Old Jun 12th, 2008, 09:10 AM

>location is perfect and the food is great too.
The Sunday brunch is very nice too. The manager even came to every table asking how we liked the food and gave us free entry coupons to the Oktoberfest-Museum. It's not the museum, that is particularly interesting, but it's the oldest house in Munich from 13 something. Worth seeing.

Landsberger Str. is about 300 meters from my location, but it's a long way to walk to Munich central station. ;-)
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

The oldest house in Munich sounds interesting.. I'll find out about it. Munich's central station?
Pardon me I might have misunderstood something. Is the car rental return place in Munich;s central station or is Landsberger strasse somewhere else and the central station is a central area in general?
Old Jun 12th, 2008, 03:08 PM

If it's Landsberger number 18, it's rather close to Hackerbrücke S-Bahn station, which is one stop or about 500 to 800 meters from munich central station. A "rather short" walk, but NOT right at the station.