Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help needed with Munich lodging and car rental!

Notices

Old May 13th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So after months of planning we've finally nailed down our itinerary and secured apartments in Berlin and Prague and hotels in Mittenwald, Rothenburg, and Bamberg. I'm stuck for our three nights in Munich however.

I would much prefer an apartment with a washer as these three nights fall right in the middle of our 16-day trip and we've always enjoyed having this sort of accommodation. It certainly makes us able to pack much lighter than we might otherwise. But I have had a much harder time using our typical resources...vrbo, homeaway, etc....and even justngoogling...than I typically do in finding any sort of apartment in or near Alstadt. I wrote to a couple of hotels recommended in a popular guidebook...Pension Lindner and Pension am Jakobsplatz - no luck there either.

I'm going to check some other resources and send out other email to hotels in Alstadt. Do any of you have hotel recommendations or, even better, ideas for locating an apartment? If we don't find one in Alstadt, is there another recommended section of the city that would be convenient for an apartment? We may take a day trip by train to Salzburg so would want connections to the main train station to be relatively easy.

On a related topic, we plan to pick up a rental car when we leave Munich to head to Mittenwald area. Do you recommend picking up at the train station or the airport? Is it nightmarish to drive out of the city if we pick it up at the train station; would we be better off taking public transportation to the airport and getting it there?

Finally - does anyone know if we can drop the car off in Bamberg?
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:35 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Altstadt isn't exactly a residential area where a relevant part of the Munich population lives.
Nearby neighborhoods of Schwabing, Ludwigvorstadt or Haidhausen or Lehel should have more.

Do not rent from the airport. It's 30kms in the wrong direction.
If you want to avoid to drive from the station, all major rental car companies have locations in other districts. Which company will you rent from?
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Cowboy1968. I always feel better when you're in the conversation.

I just booked a room at Hotel Monaco for three nights, near the train station which was not exactly my first choice...but considering we may take a day trip to Salzburg, and I don't relish traipsing on and off public transportation with the bags after arriving, I think it will suit us fine - and the price was right.

As I said, now that the hotel issue is solved we can start to think about the car. I think it will be Sixt or AutoEurope (though you have to remember I haven't really done too much research yet, that's just the sense I get from what I've read and the one or two quick searches I've done). We could take public transport to wherever it would be easiest for us to pick up and drive south from (yikes, lousy grammar but you get the picture). So any suggestions you have would be a big help. Thanks.

I know I can check on the rental site to see if there's a Bamberg dropoff...was just wondering if anyone had experience with this.
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:28 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the hotel is a good choice esp. with the train travels you have planned.
If you are in desperate need to wash your clothes, you will find several laundromats all over the city.

Recommending a rental car location in Munich is difficult as only with Sixt I could check the options.
AutoEurope resells rentals so it could be anywhere...

First of all, driving from the station area is not that difficult. Though traffic can be quite heavy on the middle ring road which you will probably have to use if your gps does not offer an alternative.

One very convenient alternative would be to rent from the Pullach location.
Actually, it's Sixt's HQ, and literally right next to the S-Bahn station Höllriegelskreuth (S7 from Munich main station, direction Wolfratshausen). The only disadvantage would be that this station has just stairs and no elevator for your luggage.
You would have avoided both, the inner city drive, and the nerve wrecking morning rush hour on the middle ring road with its many road constructions.

From Pullach, take B11 south to Schäftlarn (which has a very nice monastery/ church down at the Isar river valley), and get on A95 towards Garmisch. That would be just 10kms on a regular highway with regular traffic outside the city limits before you hit the autobahn.
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:18 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The train station and the nearby hotel Monaco are within an easy walk of the pedestrian zone, Marienplatz, Viktualien Markt, Hofbrau Haus, and the Frauenkirche.

For your rent car contact Gemut.com. They have always treated us right. Also, DO NOT rent at the train station or airport as there is a 19% surtax on cars rented at any airports or train stations in Germany. There are no restrictions on where you drop it off so you can turn it in at the airport or train station. I have picked up cars a number of times at a lot about 4-5 blocks from the train station.
Old May 13th, 2012, 07:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I always rent through kemwel.com. My Munich car pick up was a street or two behind the train station at Europcar. I went a bit early and the car wasn't available, when I returned they had upgraded me to a Mercedes C220.. sweet!!!