Help with March 2006 Honeymoon in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My fiance and I are trying to plan our honeymoon to Italy, and neither of us have been before. We'd definitely like to stay in Rome, and are thinking about Sorrento/Positano. We will only have 6 nights/7 days in Italy. Also, we're on a somewhat limited budget, and can't stay at 5 star hotels. Any suggestions in generaly, but especially on places to go, things to see, and not too expensive hotels that would be honeymoon-appropriate would be great!
Old Nov 21st, 2005, 07:17 PM

March is still low season, so you'll get better hotel rates, but it can still be pricey. If you could be more definitive here with your budget, that would be helpful. Also, honeymoon appropriate - very subjective. Would that be mirrored walls & ceilings, or just a room with a sea view and a balcony?
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 04:40 AM
ira

Hi Le,

With only a week, I would fly into Venice - VCE (3 nights in one of the world's most romantic cities), train to Florence (3 nights with a visit to Siena), fly home from FLR or PSA.

If you really wish to visit Rome, I suggest that you spend the week there. You can visit Orvieto (1 hr by train) for a hill town experience, Ostia Antica for ancient ruins, Hadrian's villa..... as well as seeing Rome.

Also see this thread
Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34568596

Have a lovely honeymoon.

Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 05:15 AM

In August we stayed at the following hotels. They were each around 140 Euros a night (including breakfast) and I would highly recommend them. Rome - Hotel Teatro di Pompeo (excellent location one minute from Campo di Fiori, walk to everything), Sorrento - Hotel Settimo Cielo (get a room with a terrace, they overlook the Bay, absolutely fantastic, an easy walk downtown) and Positano - Villa Rosa (spectacular location - all rooms have terraces overlooking the water). Rome for the whole trip makes sense, but alternatively you could spend 3 nights in Rome, take the train to Sorrento early and spend 1 night there and then go on to Positano early and spend 2 nights there - that would involve rather a lot of travel, but would be terrific.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:31 AM

Have you thought of the Cinque Terre on the Italian Riviera? It is made up of five small towns surrounded by olive groves and vineyards set on cliffs high above the water. There is a path that will take you from town to town (depending upon your speed the hike can take one or two days) and a train that links all of the towns. It is devoid of all of the tourist-traps found in places like Sorrento and Positano and makes a wonderful escape from Rome. Also, if you are adventurous, there is no need to book a hotel in advance. Simply arrive and there are a number of apt. agencies that set you up in a place with a beautiful view of the Ligurian Sea. Also, the Cinque Terre is about the same distance from Rome as the Amalfi Coast is.
Old Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:43 AM

I would not go to CT in March. I agree with Ira's suggestion of a week in Rome with a daytrip to Orvieto.
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 07:04 PM

What about a day trip to Assisi?
Old Nov 27th, 2005, 08:16 PM

Motor city girl - why would you not recommend CT in March?? It is because of weather? I am spending a couple of night there in early April....
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 03:43 AM
ira

Hi chel,

Early April on the CT is still iffy weather. It could be beautiful, it could be less than pleasant.

Old Nov 28th, 2005, 01:17 PM

I like the orig plan of Rome Amalfi for your week of time. A great combo of beauty and relaxation on the coast adn the busy city time. Check for inns and b&bs, we stayed all over Italy in June (high season) for under 125 euro per night with private baths in lovely little places for our honeymoon.
eurocheapo has some great stuff, as does this board. Congrats!
Old Nov 28th, 2005, 01:38 PM

I like the prior poster's idea of Venice/Florence for a honeymoon.
But you say you would definitely like to stay in Rome -- so I would split the the time equally between the two cities.

I am a huge fan of Rome but it is a large busy city (although there is limited traffic in the central area). To me it would sort of like honeymooning in New York City -- yes, there is the Metropolitan Museum, and so many other fabulous things to do but it's pretty hectic pace for a honeymoon.

My brother has lived in Italy for a few years. He says Sorrento is known to be cold and windy in the winter. I am not sure what it is like in March.