Help with last two nights in Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2006, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are leaving a week from today for Germany and I realized that I never confirmed our last two nights on the Rhine River at Castle Hotel Auf Schoenburg. Of course they are now booked for one of the two nights we planned to stay there. I'm looking for another recommendation within one hour from Frankfurt as we have an early morning flight home. We are looking for something really special for our last two nights. We still may book our last night at Auf Schoenburg but think that it might not be worthwhile since we have to depart so early in the morning.
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 01:53 AM

ragdoll writes: We are looking for something really special for our last two nights.

If you are looking for something comparable to the Auf Schönburg in price and stature - I think you might like the Hotel Krone in Assmannshausen. I've never seen the need to rest my head on such a fancy bed or pay that much for accommodations but I'm sure someone would enjoy the Krone if they can afford it. My personal recommendation for two nights on the Rhine would be somewhere like the Winzerhaus in Bacharach. Wonderful hosts, clean room with a nice balcony overlooking Blücherstraße, very reasonable rates, great village to walk around and spend last night in Germany - Ben http://www.bensbauernhof.com/winzerhausbacharach.html

Hotel Krone - http://www.jpmoser.com/hotel-krone.html ---
http://www.hotel-krone.com/eng/
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 02:41 AM

Hello Ragdoll:

>I'm looking for another recommendation within one hour from Frankfurt as we have an early morning flight home. We are looking for something really special for our last two nights.<

Try the Hotel Krone in Assmannshausen, a small village on the Rhine near Rudesheim about 40 minutes from Frankfurt airport. If you reserve, ask for a junior suite with a terrace in the front of the main building. I think you will find this hotel and its restaurant to be something special; until recently it was listed in the small luxury hotels of the world (I inquired of slh as to the delisting, but they don't answer substantively) You should find river watching from your terrace ( less than 100 yards away) to be a perfect "wind-down" activity. We found the staff of this hotel to rank amongst the best. Example: We informed the hotel of the train that we would arrive on; it turned out to be an hour late. When we stumbled down the steps in our haste to get off quickly ( only a minute allowed at these small stations in Germany), we almost fell into the arms of the hotel porter who was waiting with a luggage cart. Assmannshausen is the only place in Germany where red wine is made and we enjoyed those selections immensely. As I write, I am thinking about the Krone with anticipation as we will be there this Fall to wrap up our driving trip in the Black Forest. Good Luck. Gradyghost
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 02:43 AM

Not sure if your itinerary includes Heidelberg or not. The Hotel Ritter is beautiful and romantic. It's less than an hour from there to the airport.

http://www.ritter-heidelberg.de/index_e.html
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your recommendations. I am checking availability of both. Anyone heard of Romantikhotel Schloss Rheinfels in St Goar?
Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:30 AM

Ragdoll:

If I read between the lines correctly you're leaning toward a castle stay. We've stayed at auf Schönburg several times and indeed it's unfortunate that you can't get in there. We've also stayed at the Krone in Assmannshausen, which is very nice albeit a bit too upscale for our tastes or needs. Although we've never stayed at Schloss Rheinfels at St. Goar, it's my understanding that it's larger and a bit more commercial than we prefer.

If you're looking for a castle stay you might consider Burg Reichenstein, at Trechtingshausen, a couple of KM south of Bacharach. Reichenstein is 45 minutes from the Frankfurt Airport; actually a little closer than auf Schönburg, at Oberwessel. Here are some ways to investigate Burg Reichenstein.

http://www.caltim.com/reichenstein/

http://www.rhinecastles.com/hotel-bu...ein/index.html

http://burg-reichenstein.de

Old Jun 12th, 2006, 08:35 AM

Ragdoll,

We have been considering Schloss Rheinfels ourselves for our next trip, so I'll be interested to see if anyone has stayed there and what they report. Reviews on Tripadvisor are mixed; some love it but others say it is more geared to business meetings. But the views from there look lovely.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 05:30 AM

The wonderful thing about Germany is it's very easy to find rooms. I have stayed at many Hotels in Germany and spent a lot of money on them. Some are very very good but all are good. My favorites are the Pensions or Gasthauses. (You get closer to the locals) The Rhine as some has suggested is one of my very favorite areas of Germany. Rudesheim is a great place and very close and easy to get to from Frankfurt.

Almost every town that has a Bahnhof (Railway Station) that has a place that has all available lodging in the town. And they will call to make reservations for you. This is almost always true when you stop at welcome centers when you cross borders in Europe.

Now you asked about the Castle Hotel Auf Scgoenburg, I know nothing about the hotel but St. Goar is another wonderful town. Bacherach ( Probably mispelled ) is another wonderful place on the Rhine, someone suggested. There is a Stein and Chystal outlet that is very nice in the town.

Rudesheim is a small place but in the summer months it really rocks with entertainment. Almost every town on the Rhien has a different wine and they are all good.

I spent nine years in Germany and learned to travel very cheaply. I'm planning a two week trip next summer and plan not to make any prior hotel reservations??? Just another thought, I have never had a bad meal no matter where I ate in Germany nor a bad nights sleep anywhere in Germany!!! Truely some of the most hospitable people in the world!!!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Try *Schloss Reinhartshausen* or *Kronenschloesschen* in Eltville, a nice village directly on the Rhein River. Both hotels are beautiful and also have excellent restaurants!