Reload this Page >

HELP with Itinerary

Search

HELP with Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 03:53 PM
BTD

HELP with Itinerary

Hi - i need some help with the last bits of my itinerary for Italy.<BR><BR>We'll be there 2 weeks - flying into Florence and out of Naples.<BR><BR>Florence - 3 nights<BR>Tuscany - 3 nights<BR>Rome - 3 nights<BR>Positano - 4 nights<BR><BR>I've managed with GREAT help from this forum to familiarize myself with the cities and areas and hotels and booked for Florence, Rome and Positano BUT I am having one HECK of a time with Tuscany (yes I know Florence is in Tuscany).<BR><BR>I wanted to stay in the countryside for a few days while on the way to rome. I thought I had settled on the Siena province but the more I search the more confused I'm getting. I just found another B&B in Lucca which isn't really the direction I was planning to go, but it looked interesting and nice too.<BR><BR>We are not wine officienados (don't know how to appreciate). More interested in horseback riding/hiking/nature oriented activities for a few days. I realize there's lots more art to see around the country - but I don't want to overdose between Florence and Rome.<BR><BR>I really really really need some help.<BR>I think my brain is about to blow up from overload.<BR><BR>Thanks everyone - please respond!!!<BR><BR

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 05:41 PM
Rex

How soon are you hoping to do this? I know you may have posted this elsewhere, but I have forgotten - - and it might influence my advice quite a bit.<BR><BR>There is no one right way to apportion six days in Florence and Tuscany. There wouldn't be if you had six weeks or six months.<BR><BR>And I know little or nothing about advising you on locations where horseriding and related outdoor activities are prominent.<BR><BR>Even though your brain is on overload, here are some possibly useful threads to confuse you more:<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1363288<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1358812<BR><BR>http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessages.jsp?fid=2&tid=1317050<BR><BR>Last of all, you might attract more responders with a title that reflects the questions on your mind - - like mentioning Lucca, Siena or other place you re considering.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 05:48 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Stay south of Siena in the Montalcino or Pienza area. Go to www.tuscany.net for more help on places to stay. Lots of good choices depending on price.

Old Aug 4th, 2002, 07:13 PM
BTD

thanks Rex and bob<BR><BR>I've been to www.tuscany.net and doing a lot of text searching here on fodors.<BR>also been using initaly.com and karenbrown's website, and a few others I can't remember right now.<BR><BR>We're going to be there the last week of September and I'm trying to finalize all my accomodation details ASAP - so I can start figuring out everything else (ie. where to eat, what to see, etc. etc).<BR><BR>any particular recommendations in Pienza or Montalcino for under E150 per night? I'm looking for a B&B so I don't have to worry about what to eat in the morning.<BR><BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:15 AM
Rex

&lt;&lt;looking for a B&B so I don't have to worry about what to eat in the morning.&gt;&gt;<BR><BR>This may get you a few "snickers" (little laughs, not candy bars), BTD. virtually every place in Italy (Europe) will see that you have some breakfast - - it doesn't have to be a "B&B". the vast majority will include it in your room rate.<BR><BR>Search "breakfast" here and you will find tons of posts on what makes up a European breakfast, and the many and varied reactions that travelers from OUTside Europe have. This is integral to the experience of traveling in Europe.<BR><BR>With 7-8 weeks to go, you need to move along in making your choice, but no need to panic yet. Karenbrown IS a good resource. Two other good ones are <BR><BR>www.venere.com (people think of it as just cities, but they have provinces also - - see http://www.venere.com/cgi/ihr/vcom/r...region=toscana for example).<BR><BR>and<BR><BR>www.charmerelax.it or more specifically...<BR><BR>http://www.charmerelax.it/Default.asp?lang=eng with properties showing as available in Lucca, Siena, Montepulciano and much more.<BR><BR>My only experience in the Tuscany countryside was with a villa for 14, so I can't make a specific recommendation for your exact needs.<BR>

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 07:58 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Try www.lacosta.it--a hidden gem.<BR>Also, Hotel Posta Marcucci.<BR>Good luck !

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 09:13 AM
up

up<BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:19 AM
mary jane

Check out my website specialized in beyond Rome, before Tuscany...www.elegantetruria.com

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:32 AM
kristen

Hi...<BR>I can't speak from experience (yet!), but we are staying in a beautiful hotel in Sinalunga called Locanda Dell'Amorosa. It is situated south of Siena, near Montalcino, so it is a nice distance away from Florence and Rome. In fact we are doing exactly what you are doing in terms of staying there between those two cities.<BR><BR>The only catch is that is pretty pricey, but it looks so wondefrul, we decided to splurge. Check out the website at http://www.amorosa.it/ even if it's just to look for fun!<BR><BR>Have a great trip and report back!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:12 PM
lisab

Ah, Tuscany. Was there two years ago for our honeymoon and so glad we tood advantage of the private tour guides offered through initaly.com. Well worth it--- spend the money on these and learn about the culture from a native! Request Dario in Tuscany. Have a blast!

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 12:34 PM
sue

Try www.wel.it. There are many accomodations listed in the Tuscany region which offer horsebacking riding either on the premises or nearby.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:11 PM
btd

thanks everyone<BR><BR>Laconda Amorosa was my first choice.<BR>Unfortunatley for me, they didn't have any openings for the dates I needed.<BR>I was really bummed about that since I was ready to splurge.<BR><BR>Oh well, I'm going to splurge in Positano instead.<BR><BR>Thanks again.

Old Aug 27th, 2002, 09:20 PM
ttt

topping<BR>

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 08:08 PM
donna

BTD, checkout casateresa.it, Positano a small B&B several people(on another travel board) raved about. I booked for October, for 100 euro a night.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Tommaso

The Locanda dell'Amorosa is a beautiful small country inn just a few km outside of Sinalunga with a great restaurant. I'll be staying there again this October for the 5th time. Unfortunately, the prices are very high. If you're adventurous, you might try agriturism around Pienza. I've stayed at Cretaiole (www.cretaile.it)and the owners are very friendly. It's not the Amorosa, but it will cost less than $100 euro, complete with kitchen.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Theresa

My husband and I just returned from Italy on Friday. We had SUCH a good trip. A highlight for us was our stay at Il Falconiere just outside Cortona (a hilltown on the border of Tuscany and Umbria). This is a Relais et Chateau property and is a very quiet, peaceful base to explore southern Tuscany from. The breakfast buffet was great (excellent coffee, real pastries and breads, lots of fruit and cheese, yoghurt, cereal, fresh juice... breakfast on the terrace overlooking the valley was an enjoyable part of each day there.) Our room also had three windows with views toward the town and the valley. It was the least expensive room they had (240 E) and was large and comfortably furnished and decorated.There is a vineyard and olive grove on the property and they are producing their own wine as well. The narrow country roads to get to the property added to the charm. A GREAT place to stay in my opinion!