Help with Italy itinerary

Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:00 PM
Original Poster

Help with Italy itinerary

Hello everyone
We have been making revisions to my itinerary based on suggestions and other post. We havent planned out the details of the things to do in each city yet, we are just trying to nail down cities so we can book hotels. Im hoping this will be doable.

Leave USA arrive next day in AM in Venice
spend day 1-4 in Venice
Leave early morning on the 5th day to Florence
spend day 5-9 in Florence
Leave early morning on the 10th day to Sorrento
spend day 10- 12 in Sorrento
Leave early morning on the 12th day to Rome
spend day 12-15 in Rome
Leave day 16 @9:15 pm to the USA from Rome

Should we add more days to Sorrento or Rome? Both my friend and I want to spend more time in Florence to do some cooking classes and wine tasting so if we change days it would be in Venice, Sorrento or Rome only.

Thank you for any suggestions!
Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:05 PM
Original Poster

Correction

Leave USA arrive next day in AM in Venice
spend day 1-4 in Venice
Leave early morning on the 5th day to Florence
spend day 5-9 in Florence
Leave early morning on the 10th day to Sorrento
spend day 10- 12 in Sorrento
****Leave early morning on the 13th day to Rome
**spend day 13-15 in Rome
Leave day 16 @9:15 pm to the USA from Rome
Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:30 PM

Sounds like a lovely trip, Mirta. I would take away a night in Venice and add it to Sorrento. If you leave Florence early on day 10, you will only have about a day and a half in Sorrento before you're packing up again! I feel like that's too short a time there for all there is to see and do. Hope this helps.
Enjoy every minute!
Feb 3rd, 2012, 10:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank You... I will be our first trip to Italy... so looking forward to it!
We might shorten the trip in Rome since day 16 we fly out in the evening ... what do you think?
Feb 3rd, 2012, 11:31 PM

Regarding Rome, there are different opinions on how one allocate time in Rome. Some prefer absolute number of days - Rome: must be so many days while others use ratio to other key cities.

I propose another way if you think this is only "first trip to Italy." Rome is a gateway city, so in your future trips you tend to go through and stay in Rome even if your actual destination is elsewhere. In another words, it is very easy to recover even if you have short changed Rome this time.

Of your destination, Sorrento is the hardest one to back fill later on. It is rarely, if ever, a destination you can just stop by on the way to somewhere else. So I would encourage you to think about moving a day to Sorrento along this line.

Florence is another city that can be easily back filled later one. Why? Look at the map. If you travel from Rome to Venice, you have to go through Florence. Same thing for Rome to Milan. Even Venice to Milan trip can include Florence easily because of the frequent high speed trains.
Feb 4th, 2012, 01:51 AM

venice-tourism.com my fav would maximize my time there.
Sorrento was there in May is small worth a few days Pompeii amalfiweb.com maybe a day trip to touristic Capri. Rome
has the most to do more there. www.ostia-antica.org a do not miss. Also in Venezia Torcello isle where it all began very historic. eurocheapo.com GREAT budet tips foreach of your cities. Most tourists do a Venice driveby with the crowds get off the beaten path there it is MAGICAL!

Have fun,
Feb 4th, 2012, 03:31 AM

We could quibble about a day here and there, but the amount of time spent in each place is often dictated by personal interests. Some people will tell you to spend more time in Venice because, for them, there's never enough time in Venice.

Me? I'd spend one less day in Florence and one more day in Rome. Florence is compact and easy to see in a short time. And if you don't have a great interest in art, then you really can cut the time there. Then again, if you love art ...

There's a lot to see in Rome. You've allotted two-and-half days to see it. For me, that's not enough.

But I wouldn't obsess about a day here and there. Overall, your itinerary looks OK. In the end you may say, "I wish we'd spent more (or less) time in ..." But that often is just how a place strikes you at the moment.
Feb 4th, 2012, 04:23 AM

For what is worth, I would spend more days in Rome. It is an incredible city with delights at every turn. On my trip, I had 41/2 days and I felt I only touched the surface. Just to make matters worse, I thought Venice was enchanting. I agree witht the other posts though. It is a matter of personal taste. Sorrento is sun drenched and a total different feel. I had been to Greece and felt it had the same feel. I had never experienced anything like Rome before. It is the kind of city where you can roam (no pun intended) and explore for days. You will want some time to go to the Borghese if you are an art lover. It is simply magical. You will have a great time regardless. Enjoy!
Feb 4th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for you input.... now onto planning the daily activities!
Feb 4th, 2012, 03:05 PM

I agree with those calling for more time in Rome. And you need to go to Positano from Sorrento. Amazing place. Capri...I wouldn't waste the time. Not that much to see or do. Rome is fantastical. See all you can.