Help with Italy Itinerary

Old May 11th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Italy Itinerary

My husband and I are trying to plan a 10 day trip to Italy end of late June/early July. We have skymiles and so we have some flexibility with airports. We can fly in and out of Venice, Milan or Rome. My thought was to fly into Milan or Venice and fly out of Rome. We have never been to Italy. I would like to do Venice, Cinque Terre, Amalfi coast (positano) and Rome. Any thoughts on how this would work for an itinerary? I think we would like to stick to trains and not have to rent a car. We aren't huge museum/art people. We want to see the highlights in Rome and Venice but arent looking to hit all the tourist spots. Anything else that we have to see? Any help would be appreciated!
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:35 PM

That is a lot of territory to cover in 10 days. I would choose three of the four locations.

Fly into Venice
train to Cinque Terre
Then train to Rome and fly home from there.

You might replace CT with Amalfi Coast.
Some might suggest you just stick with Venice and Rome if your 10 days includes your travel to and from Italy.
Old May 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

if you had to choose between cinque terre or amalfi coast, which would you choose? which is more beautiful?
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM

We preferred Amalfi (Positano) over Cinque Terre (enjoyed both though). Both are beautiful, I don't know that I would say one is more beautiful than the other. CT struck me as more casual, Amalfi Coast was more resort like. We did a lot of hiking in CT, I know you can in Amalfi, but its not as well known as the paths between the towns in CT.

I would do Venice, Rome and Amalfi. If you can fly home from Naples I would put Amalfi on the end of the trip with Rome in the middle. You can visit all without a car (although I highly recommend a driver from Naples to Positano).
Old May 11th, 2009, 01:21 PM

Venice is a must because it is so unique - two days would be enough. If you fly into Rome it's a 4 four train ride up to Venice. I however, would fly into Venice and then move south from there.
Rome - need three days.
I am partial to Amalfi - you can make Sorrento your home base and do day trips from there and you must make one of them Capri.
If you arent info art then Florence could be skipped but Tuscany would also be very high on my list.
Old May 11th, 2009, 02:15 PM

We tend to talk in nights here when planning. How many nights do you have? Four locations in 10 days is pretty hectic. If you have ten nights, fly into Venice (2 nights), train to CT (2 nights), train to Amalfi Coast (this location change will eat a whole day of time)two nights, train to Rome (4 nights). Is flying out of Naples an option with your miles?
Old May 11th, 2009, 03:09 PM

I did Venice/Positano/Rome in 10 days and it worked well.

Flew into Venice, spent 3 nights, flew to Naples and took a ferry to Positano, 3 nights in Positano (with visits to Amalfi, Ravello and a day trip to Capri), and then 4 nights in Rome, and flew home from there. I didn't feel too rushed and got to see pretty much everything I wanted to see. You could easily choose the CT over the Amalfi Coast, but I don't think you have time for both.
Old May 12th, 2009, 08:05 AM
ira

Hi cit,

>I would like to do Venice, Cinque Terre, Amalfi coast (positano) and Rome. <

I usually recommend the CT or the AC on the same visit.

I would fly into Venice and out of Rome.

Train sxhedules and costs are at http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...0080a3e90aRCRD

Old May 12th, 2009, 12:06 PM

You inquired about yacht charters on another thread. With only 10 days, you don't have time for the sail you were considering.