Search

Help with Irish address, please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:22 PM
P_M
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Irish address, please

I would like to send a postcard to an Irish person I met while traveling. She wrote down her address, but the town where she lives is a little hard to read. I decided to pull it up on Mapquest or Mappy to make sure I am writing it correctly, but the name of the town isn't coming up on either site. I am thinking what she wrote is an abbreviation for something else that would appear on the map. I hope someone can help me decipher this because I have spent 30 minutes trying to figure this out. The way she wrote it, the name of the town looks like this:

Corr na Mona (with an accent over the "o" or the "n" in "Mona," can't tell which)

It's in County Galway. Does anyone out there in Fodorland know what "Corr na Mona" in County Galway might be? Please help if you can.

Thanks.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 06:59 PM

When I saw your post, The name Connemara came me to me. I would try that, who knows. Good Luck
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 10:44 PM

Cornamona (I have only seen it as one word but suppose in old Irish it probably is split up like that) is a little village on Lough Corrib.

Just address it w/ Cornamona and the post code and it will get there.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 10:56 PM

Postcode? This is the Republic, not the North.

Just put the best you can on the envelope with a question mark over the bits you're unsure of. An Post will do the rest. Their workers in Co Galway know the county a million times better than anyone on this board.

Alternatively, go to www.11850.ie, and input your contact's surname, with "Co Galway" (not "Galway&quot as the location. You should then get a full list of all phone subscribers with that surname, and their postal addresses, in the county
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 11:20 PM

"Postcode? This is the Republic, not the North."

Oh, duh -- I knew that

flanner is right about 1185.ie, but Cornamona IS a village in County Galway . . . . .
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 04:29 AM
P_M
Original Poster

Thanks all, I knew I could count on you. It seems strange to send correspondence without a post code or a street number. But if that's the way it's done in Ireland, then so be it. I will have faith in the Irish postal system.
Old Jul 11th, 2005, 12:24 PM

You can probably send it either way. With the name separated as in Irish or spelled Cornamona. It is a small town on Lough Corrib, actually where my family comes from. When I write to my cousin, in a little village next to it, there is no code, etc. just the addressee, village name, and county Galway. The post office will get it to the right person.