Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Help with Hotels-Santorini, Naxos and Athens

Help with Hotels-Santorini, Naxos and Athens

Mar 6th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Help with Hotels-Santorini, Naxos and Athens

I am going to Greece the beginning of July for two weeks, there are three in our party myself and two teenage girls. Am struggling with where to stay in Santorini. We do not need nightlife and I was looking at staying in Oia, the two girls can share a queen/king and I can sleep on a single. Want to stay somewhere nice, clean and with a pool but keep the cost down to under 300 USD. Any suggestions.

Also, looking for a place to stay in Naxos and Athens. In Naxos, want to spend less and in Athens I would love a view of the Acropolis.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Mar 6th, 2010, 08:48 AM

I stayed in fabulous places in Santorini and Naxos that I loved, and an adequate place in Athens, that did have a view of the Arcropolis. But they were all under 100€ so if you are in the 300€ range you probably wouldn't be interested. If you are say so and I'll post the links.
Mar 6th, 2010, 08:54 AM

In Oia check Strogili Houses, Rimida Villas, Lauda Hotel, Anemomilos Hotel, Oia's Sunset Hotel and Olympic Villas.

Keep in mind that you can save money by staying in accomodations without a pool and use the public-access pool in Oia, the Lioyerma Cafe/Pool on the sunset end of the village. Admission is free but you are expected to purchase food and/or drinks.
Mar 6th, 2010, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I will check out those places. Isabel, if you could post the information that would be helpful as well.

In Naxos, I was looking at Kavos Naxos but unsure about the location.
Mar 6th, 2010, 05:28 PM

Kavos is an excellent little hotel with a great pool and gardens. It is within 10 minute walking distance to a beautiful beach. We enjoyed our stay there very much and the staff could not have been any nicer.
Mar 7th, 2010, 07:36 AM

You say you do not need nightlife but what do you want when you visit Naxos. Nightlife will be in Naxos town but so will dining, shopping, strolls on the waterfront and exploring the old town and kastro.
Are you going to Naxos for the beaches? If that is all you want then you should consider the west coast beaches of Aggia Anna, Plaka and Aggia Procopious. There is good bus transportation back into town for all the activities and sites there.
If you want to maximize your opportunities then consider St George Beach. It is adjacent to Naxos Town a short 10 minute stroll away. It will be busy due to its convenient location but in early July you are not yet in the ultra high season.
There are lots of good hotels at St George. Hotel Glaros is 10 meters to the beach and all rooms have a sea view. Hotel Galini around the corner does not have the view but is well regarded. Hotel Asteria is right on the beach. You should be able to get all three for under 100 euros.
Here are some pictures of Naxos to help you decide.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/552001505EYxVYT
Mar 7th, 2010, 08:36 AM

Another hotel in St. George that stanbr often recommends is HOtel Spiros, which has a pool, but may be only 100-120 with a 2-room situation. Also check Sun Beach which is only 10 yards from the beach, has 2-rooms, kitchenette balcony and right near the Sport Center for renting Sunfish, wind-surfing thingies, etc etc. http://www.thegreektravel.com/naxos/sunbeach/index.html
-- Despite some busyness by July, St. George has a big advantage for families with teens -- Less Work for Mother. They can wander around, go to town & back, have moderate independence WITH safety, you don't have to be taking them places all the time. And since it's a family-oriented beach, if they are at all outgoing they'll find plenty of kids their age -- Brits, GErman, scandinavian etc etc.

Search this Thread