Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Greece Itineary

My husband and I will be traveling to Greece on June 1. We plan on:

4 nights Santorini
3 nights Mykonos
4 nights Chania
3 nights Athens

I've been reading this site but still need some help with questions on traveling between the islands. I know we can fly from Athens to Chania but if we were going to use the ferry back to Santorini, I believe we have to drive to Iraklion. Does anyone know how long it takes to drive from Chania to Iraklion? If we arrive in Athens around 10:30 a.m., is it possible to fly to Chania without staying over in Athens. Would like to save Athens for the final leg of the trip.

Also, do you think we are trying to do too much in that period of time. I considered going to Naxos instead of Chania but not sure that would be a good substitute. Do not want to miss Santorini or Mykonos even though they are very touristy.

Any suggestions would really be appreciated.
Thanks.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 12:24 PM

In June the highspeed ferry will be running daily between Mykonos and Crete. This means that if you start out on Mykonos you can take it to Santorini and then on to Crete. It arrives in Heraklion, and you'd have to rent a car or take a bus to Chania, but at least that way you wouldn't be backtracking.

The distance between Chania and Heraklion is about 75 miles along a well-developed highway, so the drive shouldn't take more than 1.5 hours.

http://www.aegean-air.gr/aegeanen/home/

You didn't say if you're arriving in Athens on June 1 or June 2. On both days there are flights from Athens to Chania on Aegean Airlines at 11:30 AM and 2:05 PM, so you should have no trouble catching a same-day flight, although the 11:30 one might be a bit risky. Aegean is having a great airfare sale right now.

Overall your plan sounds good. You're not spreading yourselves too thin and you'll see a lot in 2 weeks' time.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks brotherleelove2004. By any chance to you know if Olympic Airlines is reliable from New York to Athens. They have a much better fare than Delta for a non-stop flight.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 01:08 PM

I haven't flown on Olympic for a long time, but I'd take the chance since you'd be dealing with U.S. ground crews and air traffic controllers. But once you're in Greece switch to Aegean Airlines.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 01:26 PM

I have flown Olympic between London and Athens two or three times, and between Athens and Paros many times more, four in the last two years alone. So far they have been totally reliable for me.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Heimdall. The fare on Olympic is much cheaper than Delta and they are the only 2 carriers that offer non-stop service to Athens.

Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:02 PM

Glad I could help. One more thing - if you do proceed to the islands the same day you arrive in Athens, it would be better to stick with Olympic than to switch airlines. First, you can check your bags straight through. Second, if your flight from NY is delayed and you miss your connection, Olympic will be obligated to get you on a subsequent flight. I'm not sure Aegean would be that helpful when the delay was caused by their rival airline.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:28 PM

That last is very good advice. You'll pay more for seats on an Olympic flight, but it might be worth it.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 02:32 PM

Hey, Brotherleelove, we seem to be in agreement on most things except airlines. I would try Aegean too if went to Paros. BTW, we have a mutual friend on Paros by the name of Michael, aka Paroshep.
Old Jan 20th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Hi Heimdall-

Yes, I met Michael and Karin last May. They were kind enough to host my stay on Paros. As far as our respective airlines' recommendations are concerned, I'm glad that you've never had any problems with them, and I'm sure most flights are fine. I prefer Aegean because they're cheaper, and since I'm such a tightwad when it comes to my travel budget it makes good sense for me to use them (also, they fly to Santorini!).

Do you stay on Paros or do you go over to Anti Paros?
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 06:05 AM
Original Poster

Let me be sure I have this correct. When I fly into Athens, I could take the highspeed ferry to Mykonos that same day. Then ferry to Santorini and then onto Iraklion. Fly back to Athens from Chania....or in reverse....flying to Chania first.

I'm going to contact Fantasy Travel with our plans to see if they can do the bookings for hotels and ferry for us.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 07:21 AM

Much depends on the timing of your arrival in Athens but yes, that scenario is possible. You could also take advantage of the Aegean airfare sale and fly to Mykonos.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 09:39 AM

dianabruce, there are several ferries for Mykonos leaving both Rafina and Pireaus each morning, mostly around 0730. There are others leaving in the afternoon if you can't make the morning departures. No need to book the ferries in June.

I don't know what day you will be traveling to the islands, but checking the airline websites, Aegean is currently showing four flights on Jun 2nd, and Olympic only one. Whether the latter is because they haven't loaded their summer schedule yet, I don't know. Based on that alone, Aegean looks the better bet at the moment, especially when you consider the €19 airfare.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 09:49 AM

Brotherleelove, I stay on Antiparos. I use a different handle on the Thorn Tree website, and sent you a PM last year. We just missed each other on Paros in June, but I got to meet Michael, and looked him up again in September.
Old Jan 21st, 2006, 10:13 AM

I had a feeling that was you.