Help with Granada to Seville 10-day trip

May 8th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Help with Granada to Seville 10-day trip

Need advice on upcoming trip to southern Spain. We arrive in Granada on June 12th and depart Madrid on Sat afternoon the 21st. Places we really want to stay are Seville and a beach city. We will have a car when we arrive in Granada. Have read many postings for similar itinerary (Maribel - low road) and want to stop at all of them!! But I don't want to change hotels every day if we can avoid it. This is what we've come up with so far:

Day 1 Tue: Granada (arr 11am)rent car
Day 2 Wed: Granada
Day 3 Thur
Day 4 Fri
Day 5 Sat
Day 6 Sun: drive to Seville
Day 7 Seville
Day 8 Seville
Day 9 fly to Madrid (no time-not booked)
Day 10 Madrid/ fly to London @ 6pm

Not sure where to stay in between Granada and Seville. Read other postings that suggest Rhonda, Nerja, with trip to Frigiliana, Mijas. They all sound great. I would like to incorporate Cadiz and maybe Jerez de la Frontera and Marbella. I really want a beach place to stay during this trip if we can. We don't want to change towns every day if we can avoid it. That's why I have us in Seville for 3 nights. Could I extend that for 4 nights and day trip to Jerez? or Stay 1 night in Cadiz and visit Jerez on the way to Seville?
We are really wanting to take it easy and! Not a big history buff but a castle here and there is ok. Looking for beautiful drives, quaint towns, beach, and just hanging out to enjoy the ambience. I don't have us in Madrid but 1 night this trip - prefer small towns. We will have a car when we arrive in Granada through Seville.We are flying into Granada & out of Seville.
I read the "low road' thread from Maribel (and others)and it sounds great! I don't want to spend more than $200/night on hotels -around $150/less would be better. Our splurge is Casa 7 which is avail only 17 June for 3 nights during our visit so we will take that, of course! I've e-mailed the parador in Granada to see if anyone has cancelled for 2 nights 12th and 13th (I know its wishful thinking but I have to try!)?? to stay in Granada?
Also, we can use points for a hotel in Marbella (Le Meridien Los Monteros) and hotel in Granada (Hotel La Bobadilla) to help with costs. Has anyone stayed at either place?

Would appreciate any help!
Thanks!!
May 8th, 2003, 12:56 PM
Original Poster

Moved this from the "Europe - gen. interest" area - put in wrong area! (sorry)

Thanks for the reply about the Hotel La Bobadilla - won't stay there and will rent our car when we leave Granada.
thanks! Any suggestions for hotel in Granada? I'm still holding out hope for reply from the parador!

Also, we don't arrive into Madrid until 12:30 so next flight gets us into Granada at 5:10pm.
May 8th, 2003, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Because of the late arrival into Granada should we stay over in Madrid and take the first flight out at 8:30? or is it worth the layover? Also, the parador in Granada was not available so what hotel do you prefer - Reina Christina or Casa Capitel? others? Price around 150euros. We can go higher if you think its worth it - doesn't matter if in town or Alhambra area.

Thanks and please post something! You all are so knowledgeable about this area.. I am making reservations as we speak - almost lost my $649 air today by waiting - went to $1089 but talked her back to $723 - sale on BA ended today! Boy did I learn don't put off the essentials!!!

Thanks
May 9th, 2003, 03:28 AM

In Granada, I have a friend who just stayed at the new AC Palacio Santa Paula, a 5 star, remodelled from a historic building -a convent, I think-, at a 106 Euro weekend rate.
He liked it a lot and it's right in the center.
May 9th, 2003, 12:12 PM

I have noticed Casa 7 mentioned alot. How do I fet this hotels website. We are in Seville for 2 nites in July.
May 9th, 2003, 12:23 PM

BeachGirl,
Sorry I had to post on your other thread but my post here went haywire.

Dock,
I've posted about the Casa 7 several times here, as it's our favorite Seville hideaway but only has 6 rooms.
www.casanumero7.com
May 9th, 2003, 12:29 PM

Is that 5 nights in Granada? I just spent 3 nights there and probably would have been good with 2. Stayed at a charming little place built in the 16th century, if memory serves, just below the Alhambra, Hotel Casa del Capitel Nazari. Small room, but reasonably priced, nice courtyard. Go around the corner to Los Italianos for yummy (but cheap!) gelato. As for stops, we went from Granada via rental car for a quick stop in Nerja (if you want to do the caves, make sure the ticket booth is open - lesson learned); 2 nights in Marbella, much bigger and more crowded than I realized it would be, and unfortunately raining (!) while we were there; Gibraltar, good for half a day, but DON'T feed the apes; Arcos de la Frontera, 2 nights, cute but not much to do and on to Sevilla for 5 nights. While based in Arcos, we took a little day trip through Jerez (what we saw we didn't like, but I'm sure there must be a reason to go there) and on to El Puerto de Santa Maria, where we toured a sherry bodega had lunch and just wandered around for a half day as we'd exhausted the options in Arcos. Note: Many of the sherry houses in and around Jerez require reservations.
So many options, so little time! Wherever you go, enjoy.
May 12th, 2003, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Hi Jenneepoo,
It is 2 nights in Granada and we will have a car to travel from there on Day 3. Open for other towns for 3 nights. Probably Ronda for 1 night.

Maribel: thanks for your reply. I like the idea of Ronda for a night. Do the hotels accomodate a car? (Parador & San Gabriel) If one night do you recommend the Parador for the view?
What are your thoughts on Cadiz for quiet beach village?

Does anyone know if you can ride horses anywhere in this area?

Thanks everyone - you all are helping so much!