Help with Fiumicino terminals

Feb 23rd, 2011, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Help with Fiumicino terminals

We are having a difficult time finding an up to date "map" of the airport and just exactly where we will take off from when leaving Rome to fly direct to Chicago. We will be arriving at FCO from Alghero on Alitalia Air One and will then catch an international flight to Chicago. The times don't look real intimidating if all is on time (arrive Fiumicino at 8:05am and depart Fiumicino at 11:30am) but I would just feel more at ease if I had a decent lay of the land so to speak. Thanks for any real-time info you can provide.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
J62

Here's the FCO website with maps.

http://www.adr.it/static/en/portal/p...minal_FCO.html
Feb 23rd, 2011, 08:41 AM

There's a map of the terminals here:
http://www.adr.it/portal/portal/adr/...0ew**.adryww05

Are your flights on the same ticket? Then you can probably go from Terminal 1, where your flight from Alghero will land, to Terminal 3, where your flight to Chicago will depart.

If they are *not* on the same ticket and you are flying to Chicago with an *American* carrier, you will have to collect your luggage and take a shuttle bus to Terminal 5 for check-in. The flight will still take off from Terminal 3, where you will be taken to a secure area after processing in Terminal 5.

Either way, you have enough time.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 08:48 AM
J62

Most airports are laid out by airline, not necessarily by destination. You don't mention which airline FCO to ORD. US carriers use T5 for departing flights. Not sure who flies non-stop FCO to ORD. AA & Alitalia, maybe UAL. I'm not sure what terminal Alitalia uses for that flight - you'd have to check with them

In my experience trying to get a feel for the layout of many airports in Europe can be quite confusing, since you are often bused to/from planes or redirected through some long corridors that can take you to some random exit door.

The flight today from Alghero to FCO arrived at T1 (from Alitalia website). You can just follow signs for T5 once you arrive and you'll be fine.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
J62

You don't necessarily need to collect you bags if you are flying on separate airlines & separate tickets.

Legacy airlines such as Alitalia and AA usually have interline agreements. You could show your AA flight info to Alitalia at Alghero and they should be able to tag your bags all the way to ORD.
Feb 23rd, 2011, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, these are the maps (for whatever reason) we were not able to find! We are flying AA to and from the US and Alitalia Air One from Alghero to Rome. We booked the flights separately. Thanks J62 that puts my mind at ease. In a mere 188 days.................