Help with finding old thread

Jun 7th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Help with finding old thread

I've been searching for that wonderful thread about funniest travel experiences in Europe from a few years ago, totally in vain. Using "funniest" I get a lot of similar threads but not the one I'm searching for. I'm specifically looking for my own post on lost Dutch tourists in St.Cirq.

Can anyone help?

I thought the search engine was improved but it's sure not working for me today!
Jun 7th, 2009, 09:05 AM

you click on your name at the top of the page and then see the list of all of your topics.
Jun 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM

>>you click on your name at the top of the page and then see the list of all of your topics.<,

In StCirq's case - that will get her a couple of thousand posts.

Stu Dudley
Jun 7th, 2009, 09:59 AM

It's this one, I believe

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-europe.cfm

It was very easy to find by using the search box with terms that are fairly unique to the post. You had a couple that were very unusual and wouldn't occur together in very many threads -- I used Dutch and Cirq (which I am surprised found it as it turns out you never actually used the term "St Cirq" but only StCirq or St-Cirq.

In searches, it is important to use unique words or combinations, or as unique as possible. Funniest isn't unique at all, and in fact, that wasn't what the post topic actually was and that word probably never even appeared in it.
Jun 7th, 2009, 10:03 AM

BTW, I don't find anything wrong with the search engine. Good search technique, thinking of fairly unique and targeted words, are an important technique not just on Fodors, but on Google and other places. Many people don't search properly on Fodors, they use too common words or include words that are irrelevant or search for very unique and specific phrases that are not necessary (ie, searching for "the hotel danube" when some people may refer to it as Hotel Danube or Danube Hotel.
Jun 7th, 2009, 10:59 AM
yk

ditto what Christina said. The search function here is very good, IMO. It takes a few tries to "experiment" with it and learn to use more specific word or phrases to find what you're looking for.
Jun 7th, 2009, 12:14 PM

When I first search, I didn't notice the date fields, which default to the last year. After I realized I should change the date, I've searched very successfully.
Jun 7th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.

I did try a couple of "Dutch" combinations, but I never thought to use just Cirq.

I know about searching on my own posts. That could have taken up a week of my time!
Oct 12th, 2009, 09:24 AM

Hi StCirq-

New to this website- but see that you have an enormous amount of info/insight regarding Dordodgne/Lot. I don't know how to send you a direct question - so am posting here.

We will be in the Dordodgne staying near Sarlat for two weeks next July (family of 4- kids 8, 10). We will see many main sights west of there during those two weeks.

The week before we get there, though, we have an extra week to plan on visiting places like Albi, Cordes, possibly the Gorges l'Aveyron, and also St. Cirq and Rocamadour-including the caves north of St. Cirque and Figeac.

Ideally we will rent a cottage for 1 week, rather than spending overnights in various hotels on route- and just drive from the cottage provided it is central enough. What would be a pretty base?

Is the driving going to be too much from a central location? Are we better off simply focusing on the region by either Albi or St. Cirque? (My son gets a little carsick with twisty terrain- so we are trying minimize excessively long cartrips.)

Thanks!!!

Nicolena

PS I live in NYC- I saw your next trip will be here. Let me know if you need any tips!
Oct 12th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Nicolena,

Welcome to Fodors.

If you want to ask a particular question about Dordodgne and Sarlat, then start a new topic, giving it a descriptive title that will attract attention, something like "Looking for pretty base for exploring Dordodgne." Then add all your details--you can copy and paste your info from your post in this thread.
Oct 12th, 2009, 11:11 AM

ditto what ellenem says. St Cirq will possibly see this one -- but if you start a new thread w/ Dordodgne/Lot in the title and tag it 'France' then not only will St Cirq see it - but so will other Fodorites who know the area.
Oct 12th, 2009, 12:51 PM

Thanks ellenem and janisj for the tips- will do.