Help with Alsace Hotel

Mar 6th, 2009, 12:37 PM
ira
Original Poster

Help with Alsace Hotel

Hi All,

My Lady Wife and I will be visiting Alsace in Sept.

My original plan was to stay at the Frankenbourg in La Vancelle and have dinner there one night and dinner at Maximilien the second night.

Logis de France rates the Frankenbourg as 2*, 2 chimneys - the resto is "table de distinction" - their very highest rating (I knew that).

I have also found a Logis de France property in Ville - abut 10 min from La Vancelle - La Bonne Franquette.

It is rated as 2*, 2 chimneys, 2 cocottes (pretty good kitchen).

The rates are almost identical.

I have found nary a review of LBF, and only one of F.

The F review of the rooms was C-.

Has anyone stayed the night at either of these two properties?

Anyplace else close by for about 75E/dbl w/bkfst?

Thanx

Mar 6th, 2009, 12:41 PM

Sorry, I have not stayed in that area. But as you know, Sélestat is only a few kilometers away and might provide more numerous options.
Mar 7th, 2009, 06:23 AM
ira
Original Poster

Thanks, K.

Selestat was included in my searching.

Mar 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM

Near Selestat is Rathmanhausen, which you might have already checked out. The neat Les Pres d'Ondine would be my pick, but I didn't stay there recently.
Mar 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM
ira
Original Poster

Thanks Wayne,

I shall look onto it.

Mar 7th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Hi Ira,

Have you checked out the 2008-2009 Pudlo Alsace book. Several hotels listed in it. What week will you be in Alsace? We have a gite booked in Bergheim the week of Sept.5!
Mar 7th, 2009, 04:56 PM

This one looks interesting: hotel valliant

http://www.webagoo.net/portail/clien...6~Les-chambres

http://www.cheznorbert.com/en/alsace-stay.html# gets good reviews.
Mar 7th, 2009, 05:11 PM

This has great trip advisor reviews and booking.com reviews, but it a bit higher in price:

http://www.presdondine.com/

And this looks very nice also: http://www.illwald.fr/

Good luck!
Mar 8th, 2009, 03:55 AM

Hi Ira,
My wife and I will be in Alsace again in late June, but I suspect that, while we seem to frequent similar standard restaurants, your accommodation is certainly more upmarket that ours! We will stay in either a gite further up in the hills near Orbey, or in one of the cheap chain motels near Colmar. Either way, nothing as flash as 2*!!
Anyway, if you care to drive as far as Rouffach, Philippe Bohrer's restaurant is well-worth the effort. It's certainly on a par with Maximilien's in Zellenberg. Are you not tempted by lunch at the Auberge De L'Ill in Illhaeusern? It has been a 3* Michelin restaurant since time immemorial. Lunch there is almost affordable, and was certainly one of our two greatest culinary experiences, the other being Troisgros at Roanne. We are on the lookout for a new experience so might give Frankenbourg a visit. If we do, we'll report back. We only have about five days in Alsace this time, and that's at the end of a six week European visit, so energy levels might be declining. I dare say that, when confronted by pleasant restaurants, we will rise to the occasion!
Mar 8th, 2009, 05:11 AM
ira
Original Poster

Thanks for the help Images and Adeben.

Mar 10th, 2009, 06:24 AM
ira
Original Poster

Hi folks,

An update,

Ondine it is.

>Are you not tempted by lunch at the Auberge De L'Ill in Illhaeusern? ..... Lunch there is almost affordable,.............<

Am I tempted? Is Ahmadinejad a Muslim?
I'll let you know if I give in to temptation.

Apr 1st, 2009, 05:36 AM

Is there a website for Philippe Bohrer's restaurant in Ruffach?

If not, does anyone know if there is a prix fixe and what it might cost?

Merci!
Apr 1st, 2009, 10:14 AM

I don't think they have a website, but there is a reasonable prix fixe. see

http://www.ot-rouffach.com/237000642.html
Apr 1st, 2009, 11:55 AM

Thank you; yes, it is reasonable.
Apr 1st, 2009, 01:41 PM

Adeben, can you tell a little about Philippe Bohrer's restaurant?

Ira, might you go there?
Apr 2nd, 2009, 04:07 AM
ira
Original Poster

Hi G,

It seems to be well worth considering, although it is listed as "gastronomique".

Apr 2nd, 2009, 05:00 AM

Ira:

We're going to be in Alsace mid-October; I'll be eager to hear about your experiences there before we go.
Apr 2nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
ira
Original Poster

Hi gm,

I promise to submit a trip report.
Apr 7th, 2009, 04:32 AM

Hi GM,
Sorry about the delay in responding, but I have been away from home for a while. (Actually, I've been in the Barossa Valley in South Australia, drinking fine wines, and eating very well indeed, but that's another story!)
At Philippe Bohrer's, I was there for an evening meal, and had a 'menu': unfortunately, I did not note the price, but, given that I can't remember, it must have been 'reasonable'. However, I do remember that, on this 'menu', there were various entrees, the main course was duck, and all were excellent. We had very local wines as recommended by the sommelier, and they were both fine, and matched the food. There was a Seppi Landeman Riesling, and a Rene Mure Clos De Landelin Pinot Noir, this latter being of the first order. The room was as pictured on the website mentioned above: it is a room tending towards 'grand', of the type that creates the ambience that is much loved by Michelin reviewers. The service was first-rate, being efficient and unobtrusive. I thought the restaurant well-deserved its one Michelin star, a level it has maintained for at least fifteen years now.
I will be in Alsace soon from June 27 to July 3, as part of a seven week European sojourn. I had intended to try Frankenbourg as mentioned by Ira, but, alas! they are closed during my time there. Still, other opportunities will present themselves!
Apr 7th, 2009, 08:41 PM

Hi, Adeben,

Thanks for all the details; I hope we get there during our sejour in Alsace.

Happy travels in Alsace to you, Ira, and Images!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO