Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help with airports to fly in and out of for Rome and Sorrento trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're planning a trip for June 2011 to Rome and Sorrento. We'll be flying out of a New York City (NYC) area airport and can get direct flights to and from Rome. However, to fly out of Naples (closer to Sorrento), there are no direct flights to NYC. Also, it seems a little more expensive to fly out of Sorrento. To me, it makes sense to fly in and out of Rome since travel time including the 1 stop on a return flight from Naples to NYC would be similar to the travel time it would take to travel back and fly out of Rome. Am I missing anything? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 03:36 PM

You are missing the additional cost and agony of taking the local commuter train from Sorrento to Naples, switching to a train to Roma Termini, all with luggage. Plus, you would need to change hotels to be in Rome for your last night to be sure you can reach the airport for your flight the next day.

If you stayed in Sorrento and flew home from Naples, it is straightforward to reach Naples airport for a morning flight. I wouldn't chance having to travel all the way to Rome for a flight the same day. Any luggage dragging when you connect fights will be handled by the airlines.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 03:42 PM

We have flown RT to Naples from JFK twice in the last 3 years--both times on Iberia via Madrid.
This is an excellent connection offered at a good price and it will get you to Naples around noon. I would try to fly into Rome and home from Naples, or vice versa. There is no airport in Sorrento, but you probably know that.
Old Aug 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

OK, flying out of Naples maks sense. It would give us more time in Sorrento instead of returning to Rome the night before our flight. I like direct flights since I am not a fan of flying, particularly landings and takeoffs. Thank you for your input!
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 03:36 AM

Do check out the Iberia connection. Madrid airport is a snap to navigate and the connection times are very good in both directions...(the flights home have a very fast connection of about an hour but you can make it..)
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

I'll check the Iberia option. I'm keeping an eye on fares and may also try to use United miles for a ticket or two (there are 4 of us). I think United can get us direct to Rome but we would have connect through Munich on the return flight. How far out do you usually book your flights Italy? Thanks!
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 04:59 AM

I have flown in to and out of Naples nonstop from JFK on Eurofly. The problem for you might be that they may not do the route at that time next year. This year they changed their schedule and ceased direct flight to Naples earlier than usual. However, June is primetime and I'm sure they will fly, except they don't do each route every day. (maybe 3 or 4 days for NAP)Otherwise you may have the option of booking a ticket into FCO and out of NAP on Eurofly. Check out euroflyusa.com.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I've been using Kayak.com and I'm not sure if it captured the rates for this airline. I checks fares everyday but haven't seen much movement.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 07:55 AM

Eurofly (aka Meridiana) flights usually don't turn up on Kayak, Expedia, etc. You have to book directly with them. That said, I just looked at their site and saw they really cut back this year, so who knows what's in store for 2011. They used to fly to Milan, Rome, Bologna, Naples, Palermo and maybe 1 or 2 other cities and now it's reduced to just Naples and Palermo! I don't know when they announce the 2011 schedule, but if you're not in a rush to book right now, you can check with them periodically to see what routes they will service.

It sure was convenient to get the direct flight to/from Naples. Hope it doesn't go away completely!

You can always connect through MAD, as suggested above, FCO, and MXP are also popular.
Old Aug 16th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Hamlet. I'm not in a hurry to book so I check in on Eurofly.