Search

Help with 3 days in Tuscany

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with 3 days in Tuscany

Hello!

Our family of 4 -- 2 older teenagers -- is heading to Europe for 3 weeks next June; most of our lodging is booked except for 3 nights in Tuscany. Based on the advice I have read here, I am leaning towards Pienza as opposed to Siena for our base. Piccolo Hotel has good reviews on Trip Advisor, so was thinking of staying there (it is affordbale).

Question is -- is this the best plan? We want a base that we can walk to a small town in the evenings. And what about the days? I know 3 days is not much time... want to do Siena one day, what about the other day?

We will be renting a car on our way out of Rome -- where do we rent the car? How far of a drive is Pienza from Rome? And then how far to Venice (we will drive there next and drop the car off)?

Thanks so much,
Michele
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:05 AM

Michelle,

I would train to Chiusi and rent a car there. Chiusi is nearest to Pienza. If you are leaving Rome early, you could stop enroute and visit Montepulciano, while waiting for check in time at your Pienza hotel.

If you visit Siena one day, I would spend the other 2 days visiting Monte Oliveto abbey and driving around southern Tuscany enjoying the scenery. Another day visiting Montalcino and San'Antimo and wine tasting.

Add a couple of fabulous dinners and you'll have a lovely time.

Buon viaggio!
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:06 AM

Get the car in Chisui as Dayle says. Then, drive via Pienza to San Quirico and stay at www.palazzodelcapitano.com The perfect place for you.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:15 AM

I hate driving in or out of Rome - take the train as others have said.

In addition to picking up the car in Chiusi, drop off the car there and take the train to Venice. I know that 4 train tickets can get expensive - but so is the car - but you may be able to save 1 days rental (however, you mave a short enough rental where you hit their "minimum&quot.

Many shops in Siena are closed on Sunday & Monday mornings - so that's not the best time to visit Siena. Do a search on "Stu Pienza" and see if you can locsate my past post describing scenic drives in that region.

Stu Dudley

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:34 AM

You just got advice from 3 "Hall of Fame" Fodor posters.
I can hardly add more. I've driven and trained from FCO. Both are fine, but agree that the train edges driving out.
I have sometimes actually saved money driving from FCO than picking up a car at Orvieto or Chiusi.
I prefer Montalcino,but the other choices are also great.
If you drive to Venice,figure about 3 1/2 hours.
FCO to Pienza should be around 2 1/2 hours ,depending on the route.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:58 AM

The Hall of Fame ??? and I did it all without steroids!!!!

Here is a link to my post about scenic drives
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34862110

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:05 AM

The train station in Chiusi is actually a little south of Chuisi. I think there are two car rental firms in Chuisi - one at the train station, and another in town. It would probably be best to use the firm located at the train station. AutoEurope www.autoeurope.com
would know about the locations of the offices - I always rent through them.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:34 AM

I stayed in Siena for 2 nights and Pienza for 3 nights a couple of years ago. I enjoyed Siena and absolutely loved Pienza. The only thing you might want to consider, with 2 teenagers, is that Pienza is very very quiet at night, while Siena is more lively. Don't know if that matters to your teenagers. Make sure you bring some of that Pecorino in Pienza home to enjoy later!
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 11:43 AM

>>Make sure you bring some of that Pecorino in Pienza home to enjoy later!<<

If you do - you sure won't having any difficulty telling which bag is yours at baggage claim !!!

Stu Dudley

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great advice! I will look into taking the train and renting the car in Chiusi. The website for the palzzodelcapitano looks great as well. Is it within walking distance to the village there?

I did think about staying in Siena to have more to do at night, but also think that between Rome (we are there for 5 nights before this) and then heading to Venice, some relaxing will be appreciated!

It sounds like we should plan to do Siena on Tuesday, and Dayle gave us great advice for the other 2 days... any suggestions on where to have those fabulous dinners?!! My birthday will be our second night there, so would like to go somewhere special!

Thanks again,
Michele
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 02:57 PM

The hotel is within the medieval walls of San Quirico - short walking distance to several restaurants. The hotel proprietors also own a restaurant in San Quirico.

You'll love San Quirico. If you go to the link I furnished, you'll find more info about the restaurants in/around San Quirico - with phone numbers, how to get there, and a brief description. Read all the stuff I posted on that thread about this lovely region of Tuscany.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:10 PM

CRAZY - if spelling errors cancel out content - I would have everything I've ever posted cancellel.

Stu Dudley
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:10 PM

I posted the above to the wrong thread
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Stu,

You're having the same kind of day I had - only mine was at work.

Michele, I stayed in and absolutely loved Montalcino too. The town is all about the Brunello! My hotel was Il Giglio *** an excellent value for the money. Had a room with staggering views of Tuscany.

I had dinner in Montalcino all 3 nights a Grappolo Blu. Wonderful traditional Tuscan food, just made for Brunello. Highly recommend.

Buon viaggio!
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Hello All,

I am arranging the rental car for our time in Tuscany, and can't get a car in Chiusi because we start our time there on a Sunday.

I am looking at renting from autoeurope as recommended here, picking up at the Rome Termini station (we are staying in Trastevere) and dropping off at the "Venice City" location. Are there better options for pick-up and drop-off locations in Rome and Venice?

We need an automatic and they are expensive! Would 4 people + 4 22" suitcases fit in one of those compact cars? Price for that was $377, for a Nissan $520 and discounted rate for a Mercedes $622... what would you suggest?

We are staying in San Quirico if that makes a difference -- any other options for taking the train somewhere and picking up the car in Tuscany?

Thank you!
Michele
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 11:49 PM

Hi

Maybe you can get an idea of what to expect by checking out my Tuscany trip report with pictures and links on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/tuscany_italy_travelogue.htm . I have also made this Google map that shows you the various locations that we visited: http://gardkarlsen.com/Tuscany_Italy_google_map.htm

If you also want to read a little about Rome you can check out my Rome trip report on http://gardkarlsen.com/rome_italy.htm

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 06:26 AM

Hmmm ! The Sunday pick-up problem--always a bummer.
Talk to AE[ 800-223-5555] about what is open in Rome on Sunday. I know the airport, but I suspect Termini as well. Driving out of town is easy on Sunday AM. You want a mid-sized wagon---nothing smaller. It will not be cheap with auto. Good luck !
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 06:47 AM

Michele,

I had a VW Golf (stick) on my last trip which I think falls into the compact category. It would have been OK (tight) for 3 people plus the 3 22" rollers. Nothing more! It was great for me solo, and I just love a stick shift.

Agree with Bob, you will probably need a large (by European stds) car. Just don't drive it into the hill towns. Park in the public lots outside town (look for the Blue square with a white P) and walk in.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 08:03 AM

I'm not certain about a Sunday morning pickup but we dropped our rental car off on a Sunday afternoon in Rome at the AutoEurope office near Villa Borghese on Via Galliapatoia (sp). Getting to it was fairly easy, and traffic relatively light. Leaving would be even easier since you can get directions from staff at AutoEurope.