Reload this Page >

Help w/ Ireland Itinerary Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:11 PM
annieladd

We will be in Ireland in late April, arriving on a Sunday and leaving the next Sunday. We will need to be in Galway by Thursday night, for a wedding on Friday. I think we will probably arrive/depart from Shannon (pick up car), and spend our short time in the Southwest/West part of the country. One day will be reserved for golf (perhaps horseback riding for me). Should we just stay those first 4 nights (Sun-Wed) in one spot, maybe Killarney? From there, can we take day trips to Dingle, Ring of Kerry, Skellig, Adare? Or maybe 2 nights in Killarney (or someplace close by), then a couple of nights close to The Burren, Cliffs or Moher and Aran Islands? We will use that last Saturday to get back to Shannon Airport, for one night close to hotel. We love to travel, but Ireland has never been on our radar screen, so please help with whatever suggestions you have. I do have several travel books which I am researching. We like beautiful sites, historical places of interest, good food and wine, and art. Any suggestions on itinerary, must sees, hotels/inns/B&Bs, and restaurants are all welcomed. Thanks, annieladd

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we did a similar itinerary in 2004 and loved every minute. I would pick two spots for two nights each. I would recommend Dingle (check out greenmount house) and Killarney or better yet, Kenmare. You can do the cliffs of moher on your way down or on your way up. Book your golf early. Try to get ballybunion (old) or lahinch but many other choices. You can easily spend two days in and around (and getting to) dingle, and 2 days at Killarney natl park. Look at www.irelan-withpatpreston.com a great web site.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 03:19 PM
annieladd

K- Thanks, Kenmare looks like a good alternative to Killarney, I'll check that out, and Dingle as well. If anyone has suggestions on lodging $150-200 a night, let me know. Any other ideas, let me know. Thanks, annieladd

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 07:37 PM

We really liked the Doire Farmhouse which is in between Kenmare and Kilgarvan (about ten minutes to each). http://www.doirefarm.com/
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 09:00 PM

I second the two-and-two plan - we did that in June and it was great. We stayed at a hostel in Killarney, but at Emlagh Lodge in Dingle. Loved it.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Depending on where you are traveling from, you don't want to go too far on the 1st day. If you are coming from the States and the east coast you could make it to Dingle but jet lag gets worse the greater the distance from the east coast. You could easily spend the first night in Calre and then maybe three in Dingle. Kenmare would be my second choise.

On the north side of the Dingle Peninsula is the Shores Country House. Wonderful place, beautiful rooms overlooking the longest beach in Ireland, great food and Annette, an absolutely wonderful hostess. After between 60-70 B&Bs she still ranks at the very top. http://theshorescountryhouse.com/

On Dingle, you could play at the most westerly golf course in Europe, the Dingle links and horseback riding is nearby.
http://www.longsriding.com/
http://www.dinglelinks.com/

Dingle has one of the most intersting and compact displays of archeological interest and you could easily fill three days there. Sciuird Archaeological Tours (email: [email protected]) are well known and respected.

Lots of folks poo poo the Iveragh (Ring of Kerry) Peninsula as dull compared to Dingle. I tend to disagree, but it is much different. Dingle is blanketed in post card perfect green slopes with segmented by ancient stone walls crisscrossing the hills. The views to the sea are uninterupted from most of the peninsula. Iveragh on the other hand has a more rugged interior with less opportunities to enjoy where the turf meets the surf. You'll find small sections of forest as you drive through. Iveragh also has the Skellig rocks off the coast, one of the most amazing sites in Ireland. They are both very different and both worth a visit. I vote for Kenmare over Killarney. I just like the feel better. I stayed at the Waters Edge in Kenmare and liked it very much. http://www.kenmare.eu/watersedge/ Very comfortable, large rooms, good food and a bit less expensive than many. Noreen is very nice. It sits just on the opposite site of the Kenmare River. If the weather is good and the path is dry, it's a nice energetic walk into Kenmare. Quite a bit longer if you have to follow the road out.

Hope this is helpful.

Bill
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 02:11 PM
annieladd

Bill, fabulous! I'll start looking at your suggestions. Thanks, annieladd

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 07:25 PM
annieladd

Thanks everyone, just want to make sure I this general itinerary looks OK.

Arrive Shannon Airport Sunday, pick up car. Drive to Kenmare. Sunday night and Monday night Kenmare.

Tuesday, drive to Dingle. Tuesday night and Wednesday night in Dingle.

Thursday drive to Galway. Thursday night and Friday night in Galway.

Saturday drive to inn near Shannon Airport. Return car. Sunday, taxi to airport.

OK to start in Kenmare and work our way up? Thanks, annieladd

Old Oct 13th, 2007, 08:30 PM

The main problem I foresee, which I didn't think about till Bill mentioned it, is your long drive on the first day. Is this your first time driving in Ireland, and are you coming from the US? If so, the drive to Kenmare on the day you land will be a really long and, to me, nerve-wracking drive. If you want to see the Cliffs of Moher, what about driving just to Doolin on your first day and doing that, then on down to Dingle Monday and/or Tuesday nights and Kenmare till you head to Galway? You wouldn't see much in Kenmare Sunday anyway.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 07:15 AM
annieladd

We are coming from US, and yes, it is our first time driving in Ireland. We've arrived in other parts of Europe and driven a few hours without problem, but I understand this may be more trying. I was hoping to limit those one night stays (so much schlepping), but maybe I should rethink. I checked to see if I would be better off starting in Dingle, but it looks like it's 2 1/2 hours either which way to Dingle or Kenmare. If I did one night in Doolin, then that means Kenmare or Dingle will be cut to one night as well (which one?). Or, we just decide on Kenmare and Dingle for 3 nights, but then that may put us too far to see all the sites. Thoughts?

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 11:43 AM

One thing to know is that the driving will ALWAYS take longer than you think. Viamichelin.com says 30 minutes from Killarney to Kenmare, but it easily took us an hour on those narrow, curvy roads.

With being in Galway Thursday night a non-negotiable, I'd probably go to Doolin or somewhere near for the first night, seeing the Cliffs that afternoon. I don't know much about golf or horseback riding, so I'm not sure where to tell you to cut a day from. Without those two activities, I'd say Cliffs on Sunday, drive to Kenmare Monday, explore the national park or Ring of Kerry Tuesday, then get up early and drive to Dingle Wednesday. You'll definitely be busy, but if you want to put in all three places and not drive too far on the first day, that's the best I can think of right now! Others may have better advice.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 03:14 PM

The 1st day will be hard, the rest will be fine. Be sure to get out of the car a lot on the way to Kenmare. For instance, plan a stop in Adare for a cup of coffee. Adare is a cute photo op town which always strikes me as not a lot more than that. There are some interesting things in the area like adare manor and the a couple of friaries and priories but nothing to go crazy over. The drive from Adare to Killarney is pretty especially as you approach and veiw the Magillicuddy Reeks as a back drop. Killarney has a number of nice places for a stop to wake yourself back up. A walk along the lakes, perhaps a trip around the grounds at the Muckross House and a few miles outside of town towards Kenmare is the Torc Waterfall, a very short walk to a pituresque area.

jent is right that the drive will take more than 30 minutes, 40-45 at a min probably an hour if there is any traffic. The later in the afternoon you are, the more perilous as busses begin to complete the trip around the Ring of Kerry and that is a very narrow road. Just beware.

As an option to getting to Galway, catch the ferry at Tarbert and follow the coast. Everybody raves how much faster that route is but the big plus is the drive up the coast passing the Cliffs of Moher. There is now a big tourist center there which for my money, detracts from the feel, but it helps control the crowds a bit.

Bill
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 05:00 AM

There would be enough around Galway to keep me there for a full week.
Clifden/Roundstone
Westport
Cong
Croagh Patrick
Galway itself
There are plenty of good golf courses & pony trekking places. The views are just as stunning.
You will also be close to the action surrounding the wedding. If you know the relatives they will probably be prepared to include you in all the festivities leading up to the wedding. If you don't know them, then you will do, by the end of the week. Irish relatives are renowned for their friendliness & you could really relax for the week being entertained by them. If this fails you will still have the option on the places listed above plus any others you may get suggestions for in the area.
Personally I would prefer to stay in the one area rather than drive all over the country to see 'THE sights'.
Old Oct 18th, 2007, 03:42 PM

I think if you take your time you should be fine going to Kenmare on the first day. We did this in reverse on our next to last day and it really wasn't a bad drive...and we even had a detour because of an accident.

We stopped in Adare and didn't find it worth the quick stop. I would head on to Killarney. Once you are in Killarney there is a quicker route to Kenmare (not the scenic route on the narrow mountain roads...I would suggest saving this route on your way to Dingle from Kenmare).

You will be in Kenmare in plenty of time to relax and enjoy the town and have a nice dinner and turn in early.

I would suggest you spend the next day exploring the beara peninsula (don't miss the healy pass).

As stated above, take the scenic route (actually part of the ROK) from kenmare, thru moll's gap, past ladies' view, thru killarney national park to dingle). You could make a stop at Muckross House and/or Ross Castle.

When we were in Dingle our group split up and did various activities. We enjoyed horseback riding (Long's Stables just outside of Dingle town), golf and pitch and putt course (quicker/cheaper) while in Dingle.

You could do activities in the morning then drive the sleahead loop.

You will enjoy pubs,dining,strolling, and shopping in both Dingle and Kenmare best if you stay in town...or within walking distance of town.

I think that taking the killimer/tarbert ferry is a good idea. you will enjoy the scenic drive up the coast, make a stop at the cliffs and either go on around the coast or go thru the center thru the burren on the way to galway. this will be a long drive but a very scenic drive with lots of opportunities to get take a break and enjoy the wonders of Ireland.

have a great trip!
Old Oct 20th, 2007, 04:56 AM
annieladd

Thanks everyone for your replies. I'm patching together my day to day itinerary and will post later for review and comments.

I don't know that we'll have time to take the boat to the Skellig Islands or Aran Island, but I'm just curious to hear from others who have been. One travel guide states the boat to Skelligs as "white knuckled" and somewhere else I read about the hike there as being a bit scary. So, anyone been there and can comment? How about Aran Islands, is the trip to there a bit easier? As I say we may not have time, but I'd like to hear about your experience at both these fascinating places.