Search

Ireland SW/West Itinerary--Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland SW/West Itinerary--Feedback?

Hello,
I'm in the early stages of planning a May 06 Ireland trip for me, my SO, and my Mom. For SO and I, this is second trip (first was in 2002). For Mom, first trip overseas.
This is what I currently have sketched out for our itinerary. I welcome any suggestions, red flags, etc...

Day 1:
Arrive SNN either 7:00 or 10:00 am. Drive to/stay in Roundstone.
Comments: SO is concerned about length of drive to Roundstone on arrival day. I'm not. We'll stop as needed/wanted/possible. We stayed in Roundstone for a day and a half last trip, loved the area, and decided we wanted to return for more exploration.

Day 2 & 3:
Explore Connemara. Stay Roundstone.
Notes: These days for exploring Connemara will also include lots of relaxation! I hope to include the park, Clifden and Sky Drive, Cong, possibly Kylemore, short hikes.

Day 4: Drive to/stay in Carrick-on-Shannon.
Note: SO and I stayed in Manorhamilton and Carrick-on-Shannon last trip. Actually found some great sites in the area. We would not, however, return this trip except that Mom will want to check out area that her grandfather was born in. Unfortunately, we still aren't sure WHERE in Leitrim that is.

Day 5: Explore Leitrim area (the falls, old monestary, some of the great artist galleries in Leitrim). Stay Carrick-on Shannon.

Day 6: Drive to/stay in Kenmare.

Day 7 and 8: Explore area. Beara. Possibly ROK. Killarney National Park. Stay in Kenmare.

Day 9: Drive to/stay in Doolin.
Now, here's a question. Is it doable to leave Kenmare, drive Dingle with a bit of exploration, and then get to Doolin?

Day 10: Cliffs of Moher, Burren. Stay Doolin.

Day 11: Drive to SNN for 1:00 pm departure (guessed time...tickets not yet purchased)

Thanks for your feedback!
oh...additional info...last trip we also had 3 days in Donegal and 3 days in Dublin.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 08:34 AM

The Leitrim Heritage center in Ballinamore is staffed by folks who love to dig through their records on ancestor searchs. You have plenty of time to contact them with the info you do have.
http://homepage.eircom.net/~leitrimgenealogy/
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 08:44 AM

oopsy,

I am a novice at this, having only been to Ireland once (last Fall, but returning next month, can't wait!).

But I really like your itinerary a lot because you leave time for exploration. Interestingly, we did the Kenmare & Dingle area last time and are doing Connemara & Donegal this time.

Kenmare is one of my favorite places on Earth. I think you are wise to spend a lot of time there (definitely Beara, easy drive from Kenmare; and Killarney National Park); we did a partial ROK, going as far as Sneem along the east shore and then heading back--we called it the Ring of Sneem.

Your question about Day 9 (driving from Kenmare, through Dingle, and then on to Doolin)? Don't do it. Dingle deserves much more time, and in May you won't have a lot of daylight. I'd either save Dingle for another trip (you're seeing so much already!) or cut something else out of your itinerary to free up at least a day & a half for Dingle. Personally, though, I would not cut Kenmare out (or even cut it short) to add Dingle.
Old Jul 6th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great website Cavan97. I will definitely look into this. Might be a nice birthday gift for Mom!

Thanks for your feedback Beach Dweller. I too, felt like we were building in time for exploration, but others have suggested the itinerary is way too packed. Of course, we all have different styles and preferences for travelling, and really, we won't know until we're there whether or not it is too packed.

I can't imagine that we will cut Kenmare time. I'm a bit fixated on it as a base for a few days. Unless I get good reason from others, we'll probaby cut Dingle this trip unless Mom cuts Leitrim.
Thanks also for the tip on the Ring of Sneem!

Oh...we LOVED Donegal and would love to return there for a couple of weeks. Do make sure you make it to Slieve League (Bunglass Cliffs), and we absolutely loved Silver Strand. (My SO had a hard time getting me to leave).

Old Jul 7th, 2005, 09:14 AM

oopsy,

I don't mean to de-rail your thread, but . . .

We plan on visiting Slieve League and Glenveigh National Park. I had not come across a reference to Silver Strand before--what and where is that?

Thanks in advance! Oh, to get back on track, make sure you eat at Packies in Kenmare--it was great!
Old Jul 8th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

We hadn't seen a reference to Silver Strand during our planning, but happened upon it one day on a leisurely drive. It's an absolutely stunning beach surrounded by cliffs. There were only a few other people there when we were there, and I was just taken in by the place. I think the car park was actually at the end of a road, but I don't recall which road. Near Malinbeg, perhaps?

Old Jul 11th, 2005, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

ttt