Help Us with our Itinerary?

Apr 19th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Original Poster

Help Us with our Itinerary?

My husband, two sons and I will be in Europe for 4 weeks beginning June 7. Have our plans all set from 6/7 to 6/26: Garmish (meeting other relatives), Salzburg, Venice, Florence; then full week near San Giamagno.
We are having trouble deciding what to do after that. We want to be back at relative's home near Frankfurt by 6/30 or 7/1 and will do day trips with them around Frankfurt; then possibly do Rothenburg 7/4&5 before ending up in Munich to fly out 7/6.
So we have 4 to 6 days to work our way back up to Frankfurt. Should we try to visit the Lake Como region on our way back up to Germany from San Giamagno? Or Lugano? Or get back to Germany quickly and do the Mosel River Valley? Thought about trying to get to Paris, but feel it might be too much. We've never been to Europe. I haven't had time yet to map out the mileage. We will be driving.
Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Apr 20th, 2004, 01:21 AM

Hi, what a nice trip!!!!
For Venice and Tuscany I used a travel consultant, secret-tuscany.com
On my opinion is faster. They also give advice about amenities, food, wine....
Apr 20th, 2004, 03:19 AM
ira

Hi Amanda,

I agree that trying to get to Paris is too much.

Is there a reason that you have left out Rome?
Apr 20th, 2004, 08:36 AM

I agree--what a nice trip. I have done that route twice and you have 2 good options. Option one is to spend 3 nites at Lago Como and then drive up the Engadine valley via Landeck. The other is to spend time in the Dolomites and Lake Garda--perhaps 2 nites at the north end of Garda and then up to Val Gardena to explore the fabulous Dolomites and the hiking area at Alpi di Suisi. Either would only be a 4 hour drive or less from San Gim. and give you some great scenery.
Apr 20th, 2004, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your suggestions.

To Ira - we haven't ruled out Rome. We think we may take train from Florence during the week we are staying near San Giamano and try to see the highlights in one lonnnng day! We hope to contact a tour guide a friend is recommending who will meet us and spend the day in Rome with us. What do you think?
Any other recommendations will be appreciated!
Apr 20th, 2004, 05:04 PM

Rome is our favourite city in Europe. Our favourite was Paris... until we visited Rome. It is an amazing city of ancient history, Renaissance, you name it! The food is amazing, wine bars are great. It is a very beautiful and romantic city.

We did 5 days in San Gimignano as well, and it is a great base for Siena and Florence, but if you've never done Rome -- be sure not to miss it.
Apr 21st, 2004, 09:48 AM
ira

Hi Amanda,

>...We think we may take train from Florence during the week we are staying near San Giamano and try to see the highlights in one lonnnng day! <

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

It's doable, but I'm not sure that it's a good idea. From San G it will take you about 2 1/2 hr to Rome by bus and train.

You might want to save Rome for another trip.

You will go back to Italy.

Have a great visit.
Apr 21st, 2004, 01:35 PM

Rome is our favorite city in Europe also. You seem to be spending a lot of time in small or quant towns. Rome has history, museums, piazzas and art. Please go!
Apr 21st, 2004, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all. This may start some debate, but after reading guidebooks last few days and your comments, we are thinking of changing our itinerary to: Garmish, Salzburg 2 nights, Venice 3 nights, omitting 2 nights in Florence, and going to Rome for 2 nights before starting our week in San G. Then we will see Florence on a day trip from San G. I think it would be a mistake for our boys 11 and 14 to miss Rome. They are great readers and Rome should interest them more than art/architecture of Florence. Now my next request for help is this: we'd like to experience the speed train to Rome, so two questions: 1) Should we drive from Venice to Florence or Bologna, park the car for 3 days, and take train to Rome so that we can then pick up our car on return from Rome and not have too much of a drive to San G? Or should we leave car at parking structure in Venice, take speed train to Rome, and then upon returning to Venice by train, make the longer drive to San G? Hope that was a clear question.
Question 2) If we take speed train to Rome, we need recommendations for a moderately-priced hotel (preferably near train station I would think).
Might as well keep going: If we go to Lago Como region on way back to Germany, would the route take us through the Alps? And is that a difficult drive?
Thanks for your responses!
Apr 22nd, 2004, 03:56 AM
ira

Hi amanda,

Are you driving from Salzburg to Venice?

If not, you can train from Venice to Rome and then to Florence and pick up your car there.
Apr 22nd, 2004, 09:57 AM
Original Poster

Sorry for not being clear - We have leased a car for the entire 4 weeks and will be picking up the same day we fly into Munich. Therefore, yes, we will be driving from Salzburg to Venice.
Thanks !!!!