Notices

Need Itinerary for Italy for 6 days

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:04 PM
Tracy

Need Itinerary for Italy for 6 days

Driving from Munich to Italy. Can anyone suggest a doable itinerary for a 6-day trip? Would like Rome, and perhaps Venice and/or Florence. Thanks!

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:14 PM
Red

Tracy,
Munich to Venice is a long drive - 6 hours if you don't get stuck in traffic at the toll booths. Why not take the time to see the Alps as you drive south - stop in Balzano and drink some wine. Stick to Venice, Verona and perhaps cruise Lakes Como and Garda. Save Rome and Florence for another trip.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:50 PM
KH

I agree with Red that Rome and Florence should be saved for another trip, if possible. I'd go to Venice for a few days (2 is plenty, in my opinion), then go through Verona (a long afternoon), staying somewhere that interests you, along the way to the west coast - Tuscany. A few days & nights could be glorious depending on the time of year. I'd do Santa Marguerita Ligure, Portofino, Cinque Terre, and some of the hill towns around there. SML is a good base if you will have the car the whole time.

Have fun!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 03:35 AM
Tracy

Thanks for the feedback! My children really want to see Rome, though. Would the following plan work:

Day 1: Drive to Venice, spend the night.
Day 2: Drive to Rome, spend the night.
Day 3: Night in Rome
Day 4: Night in Rome
Day 5: Drive to Florence, spend the night
Day 6: Drive back to Munich.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 06:58 AM
topping

topping

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Jan

Find some cheap air fares from Munich to Rome - then fly from Munich to Rome on day 1, tour Rome day 2, then rent the car and check out Florence,and Venice while driving back to Munich.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 09:38 AM
lisa

With the itinerary you suggest, you will see nothing of Venice since you will only be there for one night (zero days). And you will basically have less than half a day and one night in Florence. What is the point? If the point is to see Rome, then the main problem for a 6-day trip is the distance, so I would agree with the person who suggested flying. Regardless of the means of transport, in 6 days you cannot even make a dent in two destinations, let alone three. With 6 days I would recommend 3 in Venice and 3 in Florence, or all six in Rome.

By the way, a car is really nothing but a nuisance in all of these cities. Have you considered the train?

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 12:13 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Tracy, You only have 6 days, and you do not want to drive in any of those cites.
Be smart and stay in north Italy--even Florence is a stretch. I would do 3 destinations--Bavaria, Dolomites, and Venice. That is a full 6 days.