Reload this Page >

Help us decide which Chateau to pick in Bayeaux

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:36 PM
Richard

Hello all,<BR><BR>What a tough & happy choice to make. We'll be in Bayeaux the end of Sept. & are trying to decide between Chateau de Sully or Chateau Bellefontaine. Sully doesn't have a lift . We'll be ok with one flight of stairs but don't want to do more. Bellefontaine has a lift & is a bit less money. Sully seems just a bit nicer. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge?<BR>What is the difference between superior & standard rooms?<BR>Or should we just ditch the idea of the Chateaux & stay at the Lion d'Or in town. Since we will be staying at several other in town places along the way , I thought this might be a nice change from the town stay.

Old May 9th, 2002, 07:45 PM
StCirq

We stayed at the Bellefontaine last year and loved it - huge, airy rooms, walking distance to town but the place was on a country road with a stream and cows..divine. There was an elevator? We never saw it, but no matter, the place was lovely. I though the Lion D'Or was stuffy and overpriced by comparison. I have no knowledge of the Ch&acirc;teau de Sully, though I've heard good reviews of it. We thought the Bellefontaine was a great bargain. There's no restuarant and no pool, if those things ar important to you. You can walk into town (it's only 800 meters to the cathedral, and the tapestry is about 20 yards from the cathedral), but it's got a total rural feel to it. We loved it. And the price was exceptional for 4 of us in two rooms-under $150.

Old May 10th, 2002, 04:28 PM
topping

topping

Old May 11th, 2002, 06:06 AM
topping

tippy topping

Old May 12th, 2002, 07:58 AM
LivinginLondon

We staying in Chateaux Bellefontaine last November and it was a charming hotel. It is a spacious old chateaux that has been nicely remodeled with antiques. The room was very large with a modern bathroom (probably largest that we've ever had in our recent travels around Europe). The rate included a nice continental breakfast as well. The staff was very pleasant and friendly and provided us with a few great restaurant recs. It was located close (a few min drive) to the centre of Bayeux - we had a car, so I'm not sure how far the walk was. It is on lovely grounds, tucked away down a narrow road off of the main thoroughfare, but very convenient. We are planning another trip to the area soon and are planning on staying there again. Hope this helps!

Old May 12th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Richard

Many thanks for both of these answers. And to StCirq-- I always enjoy reading your replys & your willingness to share. <BR>We still would like to hear from someone who has stayed at Chateaux de Sully- anyone???<BR>By the way- what is the difference when a 'hotel' offers a 'standard twin/double or a superior twin/double? There is of course a difference in price but what is it that makes it so. Do you recomend booking the 'better' room? Will the hotel tell you the difference & are they usually honest?

Old May 12th, 2002, 05:36 PM
StCirq

LivinginLondon: Are you sure breakfast was included at the Bellefontaine? We didn't have breakfast, nor did we see anyone else having it, or even a place where it might be had. There was no mention of it on any documents we got from them, either. No big deal, but others might want to know for sure. Maybe they offer it in months when it might be harder to secure in town? We went into town every morning and had breakfast opposite the cathedral.

Old May 12th, 2002, 10:58 PM
John H

Hi, Richard,<BR><BR>Will be staying at the Chateau de Sully in early September, but won't be back -- or near a computer -- before you leave. <BR><BR>Superior doubles are larger rooms than standard doubles -- that is the main difference. Especially in the larger cities like Paris, some of the standard rooms can be quite small. So, on this year's trip, we have opted for superior doubles at each location. But, it's very much a personal and budget-driven choice.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.<BR><BR>John H

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:19 AM
lana

Richard,<BR>I stayed at a different Chateau near Bayeaux, and you need to look at some maps to see where the Chateau is located because the one I stayed at was miles away from anything in the middle of the countryside. While this was enjoyable, it did change our plans for transportation a lot and we ended up having to rent a car there for a week in order to get around as much as we wanted to. Depending on your plans, you might want to look into transportation also.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Linda

We stayed at Sully about 6 or 7 years ago.I remember liking it very much. There is a wing with rooms on the ground floor, which was where we stayed.The rooms were fairly large,well decorated, nice bathrooms.It was a well run, upscale hotel.<BR>We looked at some rooms up one winding flight in the main house. Those rooms had higher ceilings and windows, but I did like the accessability of our room.

Old May 13th, 2002, 10:04 AM
Anthony

We leave tomorrow with our first stop at the Bellefontaine in Bayeux (for the first time). I repeat St Cirq's question, is there continental breakfast facility at the Hotel?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:23 PM
Richard

Anthony- Please do post a message when you get back & let us know how Bellefonte was & where else you stayed & what you did in Normandy. Are you also going to Brittany? Could use some info. there also.<BR>Hope you do get your answer about breakfast. When I wrote to them they told me that breakfast was 9 Euros, so I guess they do serve it. <BR>Have a great trip!

Old May 13th, 2002, 05:43 PM
StCirq

Anthony: Since you're leaving tomorrow, I'll pre-empt the popssibility of others' replies and just say that if the breakfast is 9 euros, I'd head into town anyway. There are plenty of caf&eacute;s/patisseries in town where you can have a nice breakfast for less than that. The price of rooms at the Bellefontaine is pretty inexpensive for what you get, but breakfast at hotels in France is, IMO, always overpriced. At any rate, whether or not they serve breakfast, you'll be able to find an alternative about 5 minutes away. Bonne route!