Reload this Page >

Help - tapas in Spain!

Search

Help - tapas in Spain!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 12:50 PM
Liza

Help - tapas in Spain!

My friend and I leave for Spain in two weeks and we're really excited to get going and try our hand at the tapas bars.<BR>We're familiar with tapas bars here in the U.S., but we're concerned about getting ripped off in Spain. We will be in Madrid and Andalucia for the most part. Our question is, when ordering a tapa, is the price posted somewhere or can you ask first? We're concerned about the barkeep setting arbitrary prices on what we've ordered or had simply because he can and we'll be tourists with limited Spanish skills. This concern stems from an experience I had in Italy a little over a year ago where the store clerk tried charging 20,000 lira for a donut because the price wasn't posted.<BR>Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!<BR>One more thing... are tapas offered free anymore? I've heard that in Granada that's still the case sometimes...<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Dick

Virtually all of the tapas bars we visited in several Andalucian cities had menus with prices, either printed or on a board on the wall. I seem to recall getting a small dish of olives free in a couple bars, but that was about it. We had the same problem you describe in Italy (20,000 lire would have been about $10 US when we were there - that's an expensive donut!) with a street food vendor, but never experienced any difficulties in Spain. You're going to love it - we've traveled all over Western Europe and Spain is our favorite by far.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:08 PM
Daniel

When I was in Andalucia 3 years ago, I always got free tapas with a glass of bier or wine (less than one dollar), but it was very, very simple things like some cold boiled potatoes in vinegar in one bar, tomato slices in another bar. <BR>

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 01:46 PM
cooter

Menu usually posted on the wall....ask if any doubts about the price of something. Free tapas are rare and pretty minimal these days.<BR><BR>Keep an eye out, but I would not worry too much. Most places are honest, in my experience.

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 02:41 PM
Jean Valjean

Usually you will find no problems. However, be careful if someone offers you a little "jamon". You may be surprised at what they can charge for that. Once, in Los Caracoles in Barcelona, we were charged US$50 for a little plate with maybe 10 little jabugo slices...

Old Aug 30th, 2002, 03:27 PM
Dianne

I got free olives and nuts in one bar on the Costa del Sol. In Madrid they were about $2 each in the neighborhood restaurant. Prices were posted. In the Plaza Major a group of us went a little overboard and tried several of everything! It cost about $20 each (including beer), but it was enough for dinner and we WERE sitting outside in a main square. It was good too. No prices were posted there. We just went up to the counter and picked whatever looked good.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 05:07 AM
Lesley

Tapas are still free in most parts of Almeria and in inland towns. I stopped overnight in a small town called Huerte near Madrid once, and walked up and down the bar counter saying "give me two of those, yep and some of that, oh yes and I'll have some of those..." Was I ever embarrassed to find that the tapas were free as I had assumed I would be paying for what I ordered.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 07:43 AM
linda

right on the button with the "careful about the JAMON".<BR>do not let restaurants put down a plate of ham and cheese if you have not ordered it.<BR>it is very expensive.. depending on the quality of the ham..<BR>it is something waiters suggest for starter when they see you cannot make up your mind because spaniards love it .<BR><BR>remember. usually ( at most places)cheaper to eat at the bar, than a table or outside if that is important to you.<BR><BR>prices posted by law somewhere.