Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! Rome to Paris..Ryanair or Volare????

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need some advice on a flight from Rome to Paris on January 2, 2005. I have been patiently waiting for Volare to post their winter fares so that I could avoid Ryanair and Beauvais in Paris. Volare finally has their fares up. Now I am faced with a $100 difference in the fares! Ryanair to Beauvais will cost me apx $40 and Volare to Orly will be $138. Can anyone who has knowledge of this route and these airports offer advice? Is it worth the extra money to avoid Ciampino/Beauvais and fly FCO/Orly? Maybe I should just take the nighttrain

I appreciate any insight or advice
Thanks
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 02:03 PM

I lived near Ciampino, and I have flown a couple of times from there. it is a small airport used either for charter flights or for smaller airlines like Ryanair. I have posted some info on how to reach Ciampino from Rome (actually it was viceversa but it is still useful. Check this thread: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34524720 ).

I like volare (I prefer it WAY more than Alitalia for its customer service).
I have also did the Paris Rome by train and it is a 14 hours trip. If you travel with sleeperettes it is not comfortable (this is how I traveled). If you want to be more comfortable you should get the wagonlits but at this point the price is like Volare and definitely more expensive than Ryanair).
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. After reading your info and that of other I have decided to pay the extra and go with Volare. Seems like the best way to go. Now all I have to worry about is the weight limit on the baggage! Sure seems low and after being in Rome for a week before I fly, I am sure I will be over the limit. Oh well, what can you do ?
Old Sep 11th, 2004, 03:26 PM
ira

Hi luv,

Volare is offering Rome/Paris on Jan 2 for 70E this evening.

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I got it for 69.99E but when you add taxes of 29.99E and convert it to dollars, it's about $130. Still better than paying for a compartment on a nighttrain.

Now, is it easy to reach the Louvre area in Paris from Orly South?
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 09:36 AM
ira

Hi luv,

The RER Line B goes from Orly to Paris.

You can get off at St. Michel.

http://www.ratp.fr/index_eng.htm will give you the directions from St. Michel to the metro stop nearest your hotel.

See also http://www.adp.fr/webadp/a_cont01_an.nsf/$$Affich@ReadForm&cle=X400.html

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 09:54 AM

I guess there is also a bus that connects Orly south to the city centre. I remember that when I flew with Crossair from Rome I arrived at Orly...don't remember if it was Orly ouest or Sud... but I got a bus from metro stop Renfer Rochereau. The trip was about 40 minutes or so.