Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help! reservation of Santorini traditional cave houses by credit card?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 25th, 2010, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May i know how do people normally make reservation for those traditional case houses on the island? I've contacted a few of them online and they all asked me for my credit card informaton so that they can charge the deposit to my card. I just don't feel safe giving my credit card information to people whom i have never even met. how do you book your accommodation on Santorini?? Thanks
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:28 PM

It's virtually impossible to make any hotel booking without providing a credit card number.
Old May 25th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Hi Starry,

making a reservation in Greece is no different from making a reservation in Vegas - they're still going to ask for a credit card to guarantee the reservation.

I highly recommend Strogili Apartments.

Hope this is helpful!

Melodie
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I know it's impossible to make reservation without giving credit card info. Usually i book through booking.com and it's quite safe. but this time the house is not on booking.com and the house owner is asking for our credit card info so i'm a bit concerned.

Is it usually the case to provide credit card no. to house/villa owners directly? Am i just being very paranoid?
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:37 PM

It's no different than giving your credit card number to a hotel. Most credit card companies offer some if not total protection against fraudulent charges, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:38 PM

Not paranoid, cautious. It's right to ask. These days the hotels on Santorini usually ask for a credit card number or require that you send money to their bank account via bank wire transfer. If you don't you can't reserve a room. If you hve more than one card use one you don't normally use every day, then contact your CC company and tell them how much the deposit is and ask that they don't allow any more money to be charged to your card from that hotel. Use another card or cash to settle your bill when you're there. Take an ATM card to get the currency you need. There are lots of ATMs on the island.

Which hotel is asking for the card?
Old May 25th, 2010, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

It's called Villa Kallisti. the person i'm communicating with is Maria Fouka.
Old May 25th, 2010, 09:37 PM

The company that offers Villa Kallisti is reputable. It has been operating in Oia for several years.
Old May 28th, 2010, 03:38 PM

Hotel/Innkeepers need some way to secure a deposit on your reservation. When I make reservations abroad, I send the credit card number by fax. If you need to send it by email, then separate the number into two message windows.
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 05:14 AM

Starrynite--I just stayed in one of Maria Foukas cave house proerties in May. She is a charming, young, business woman who is VERY reliable and trustworthy! I gave her my credit card before our stay for one night rate as a deposit and then she charged the card after we arrived there and approved the house.
We stayed at Stella's House and we loved it. If you choose to go to Oia via the bus, you will arrive there, go to the grocery store right across the parking lot from the bus, buy a local telephone card for 4 E, use the pay phone (not the one right outside the the store, it was broken)- the one across the parking lot - call Maria. She will tell you that Vasilas will be there as soon as possible. Vasilas will arrive and whisk you and your luggage through the crowds to your house. He is a terrific guy. He Knows 6 or 7 languages and skinny as a rail from carrying everyone's luggage over his head as he bounds up and down stairways. Don't forget to buy a couple of cold beers while you are at the grocery store. Offer Vasilas one after he shows you the house. You will have a great time!
Old Jun 4th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies. to give you an update, i did not give her my credit card info in the end. Instead, i transfered the deposite to her designated account. Paid about 20euros more for administrative charges, but i feel more secured this way