Search

Help... Please Leave for Turkey on the 27th

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help... Please Leave for Turkey on the 27th

Hello,

I just booked a flight from DFW to Turkey on the 27th returning on the 6th. I really would like some help of how many day in Istanbul and another good area to head to. I love the beach and history and would be cook with a Greek Isle or jsut a great beach in Turkey. Please Help... Im 35 so I do like a social area.

Thanks
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

ttt, please help
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:18 AM

Hi,
I'm actually in Turkey right now.
I'd think 3/4 days in Istanbul eould give you a good overview. If you want beach and some social scene, Marmaris seems to be the happening place these days. There are also some boat trips out of the harbor there. Prices near beach are higher, consider moving couple blocks away

Antalya has become a resort centre, lots of development, but it can seem at bit more "Florida/Miami" than Turkey, the beaches are also not sand, but large stones. Prices can be $$

A really cool place, with a nice vibe, small fishing town, laid back, and not so "discovered" is Kas. We stayed at Kas Otel, with the sound of meriterranean waves in our room and superb views. Also boat trips from here, we took one, 30 liras, multiple swim stops, lunch included, recommended
!

Cappadocia was a great place to visit. We stayed in Goreme (Ottoman, a fodor rec). Nice place as a base to visit the area (Open Air museum recommended). Lots of restos, but it has a small town vibe, bit hippyish. Good hikes in this area.

Ephesus is a great place to visit. Many interesting ruins. Two entrances..bottom and top of hill. We parked at bottom and took shuttle (but stop at carpet factory was price to pay..could take horse drawn carriage) to top. That way, only need to walk in one direction. ~2 hrs good. Buy a book, or take guide. Great photo ops.

Hot here, and finding hotels was tricky.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:26 AM

ATMs are common here, I had no prob. Likewise I brought my cell (GSM, quad band) and bought a sim card on Turkcell here.

I believe there are boat trips to Rhodes from Turkey, if that interests you.

Are you driving? Be aware that driving in Istanbul can be "hectic".

People are friendly here, english in city, but less in the countryside (along coast should be OK.) Prices are quite cheap for food, lots of bottled water available. Grand Bazaar is fun, negotiate everything.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:28 AM

As soon as you land, go to Visa booth (right besides customs, first booth) and get your visa

No political issues here to worry about.
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help Michel_Paris and do you know any cheap places to stay? I just need a beed not to much more
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info, nice to hear everything is ok.... I'm not planning on driving so I guess bus and air will have to work. I may do the trip to Kos and check that out... I am 35 years old old do enjoy some nightlife if you can suggest any fun places
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 10:51 AM

I just returned from Turkey. I would recommend at least four days in Istanbul. Then maybe a two-day trip to Cappadochia. We made the mistake of going to the south coast ( Kusadisi, Bodrum) and other than Ephesus, which was really memorable, I can't recommend it. In all fairness though, we probably should have stayed in Turkbuktu ( spelling?) instead of Bodrum, which apparently has a very nice beach and lots of nightlife.

As far as Marmaris goes, I think it tops my list for one of the most charmless towns we've ever visited. I wasted time there, but you don't have to! There's a travel agent named MURAT who often posts on Fodors. Check for his posts, and/or get in touch with one of the travel agents listed on TURKEYTRAVELPLANNER.com.

We used ANKER TRAVEL in Kusadisi and were very happy with their arrangements for us.

Have a great time!
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help, if anybody else can help me out I would be thankful
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 11:44 AM

We loved Cirali. Very low key, beautiful beach. Next to the Ancient City of Olympos and the Chimerea. Lots and lots of places to stay. We stayed at Arcadia and it is gorgeous but may be more than what you want. You can try Canada Hotel which has great hosts or any number of small panysiones. You can fly from Istanbul to Antalya and take a bus/dolmus. Istanbul should be at least 4 days.
Old Aug 21st, 2007, 11:14 AM

Antalya was a disappointment...large hotels and resorts, and some premium prices. There was some social events going on at the beach every night, so that would be a plus.

Marmaris seemed like a better choice, but it has been discovered by the "tour package" types, so that gives you a flavor. The east side of the harbour seems to be the nightlife area, as well as having a large selection of restos. There is a nice beach right near the habour (just west). Hotel Lydia might be a good choice for hotel, we stayed at the Star Hotel , about 2 blocks from the main beach (much cheaper). This was the only place we visited where I was annoyed by the guys standing outside of the multiple large restaurants (with large menus) that were hawking their food (I can read their outdoor menu, thanks).