Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP! Only have 7 nights betw Bellagio and Venice. Which to do only 3 at???

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I messed up our trip plans and cut us short a night in Venice.( We were supposed to spend 4 nights in Lake Como after a week in Switzerland (Hotel Belvedere in Bellagio) and 4 nights in Venice at Hotel Locando Orseolo. I just checked my flight and I booked a flight out on the wrong day from Venice, a day too early - June 26 instead of the 27th! So now - do I cut off a night in Bellagio, or cut off a night in Venice? I'm not even sure we could GET the same hotel in Venice a day early than originally expected... that's yet to be determined.

I've already been to Venice but my wife hasn't. I know it's ultimately up to us to decide, but I'm totally unsure! She keeps telling me how I raved about Venice 5 years when I went alone there, but I feel like, been there, done that... I'd rather do the lake area for longer. Am I short changing myself and her? We fly home back to Silver Spring, MD. after Venice, our last part of the trip. Before Lake Como we'll be in Zurich 1 night, then Murren for 4 nights, then Lucerne for 4 nights THEN Bellagio.

Thanks alot!!!

Steve
Silver Spring MD
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:23 AM

If it helps you, tell your wife that I have only been to Venice once and found that while I loved it w/all my heart, I found 2 full days and 2 nights to be enough to feel I had seen a lot!! I think we walked around everywhere and it felt quite leisurely, including art museum and palace visits. Three nights would suffice, IMO.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:45 AM

Steve,

Take the 4 nights in Venice. It's just the right amount of time. There is so much to do and see beyond Piazza San Marco. I've had a total of 6 full days in Venice on 2 trips and still have more to see.
Old May 20th, 2004, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your generous responses. My guess is that there WOULD be more to do in Venice, as I stayed there 5 nights last time I was there I think, and I still didn't have the time I needed to see everything. I hit almost every museum I could, but my wife isn't into museums. I'm sure she's like Murano, though. Cool stuff to be seen there.

So the vote is 1-1. I've never been to Lake Como - I wonder if I'd be bored out of my skull after 4 nights? I like to see and do, not relax. I'm like the Everyready bunny - I never stop until my battery wears out. Relaxing is my wife's thing - and I love her for slowing me down at times!

Old May 20th, 2004, 11:13 AM

The Lake Como area is very scenic. The question is, can you be satisfied with very scenic for 4 days. I'd go stir crazy. Lots more to do in Venice. And only 2 days in Venice?--there's a LOT you didn't see, socialworker.
Old May 20th, 2004, 11:35 AM

They are both wonderful,A-list destinations. However, if I had to make a choice, I'd opt for the extra night in Venice.
Old May 20th, 2004, 03:29 PM

Having been to both recently (wow, it's hard to go wrong with those choices), I'd have to say definitely spend more time in Venice. Besides all the beauty, there is lots of art, music, shopping, restaurants. It sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned - have a great time.
Old May 20th, 2004, 04:25 PM

Hi Steve,
We just got back last week from Italy.
We had 5 nights in Venice (1st time for my wife, 2nd for me).
I gota go with Venice.
We even hit Murano but then jumped on a boat out to Burano. That is a real treat!! We stayed there until 6:30 p.m.
And loved every second of it!!
Be well,
Pete
Old May 20th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone else! It seems like the odds just stacked hugely in favor of Venice. I've emailed Locando Orseolo Hotel in hopes of them having us a night earlier, so I'm awaiting their reply. My wife doesn't want to change hotels in Venice once we get there, so if they can't accomodate us a night earlier, it's either switch hotels to a place that can do all 4 nights, or just do 3 nights in Venice.

Either way it'll be great.

Steve
Old May 20th, 2004, 07:34 PM

To RufusTFirefly--well then if there is a lot we did not see, we will just have to go back again!! Something to look forward to.
Old May 21st, 2004, 04:08 AM

socialworker--I am a Venice nutcase, no doubt. It's better to leave a place with a reason to return--though I don't need a particular reason for Venice.
Old May 21st, 2004, 09:03 AM

I just came back from Bellagio 2 weeks ago after spending time in Bologna, Verona, Lake Garda and Como ( stayed at the Belvedere also). I only spent 2 nights at the Belvedere and wished I had more time. At least 1 more night would have done it. I was in Venice several years ago and can't imagine spending more time there than you have planned. There are a lot of things to see around the lake and I wish I had more time. Go for the extra day in Bellagio ( and by the way, the Belvedere was wonderful). While you are there, try to get over to eat at Silvio's, a 15 min walk from the hotel. Also, Bilacus in town was good. Have the Hotel call ahead for you make reservations.
Ciao