Reload this Page >

Venice for 4 nights - anniversary need help shoud we go to Como or Cinque T

Old Aug 26th, 2019, 07:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi All

We had a bad year and unfortunately didn't book anything for our anniversary which is 9/11. I found cheap tickets to Venice so we booked for 9/10-9/15. I am restricted with time due to work so this is all I could do. We have been to Venice before during Carnivale in March 10 years ago. Can someone recommend what is the bets way to spend the 4 nights. We arrive 9/11 and leave 9/15 in the afternoon. Should we do 2 days in a lake town like Como, go down to Naples, or Cinque Terra. I want this to be romantic. We fly in and out of Venice. Can someone help please.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 08:05 AM

Happy Anniversary, coleary. Because I love Venice, I think you'll find plenty to do there even though you visited before. When you were in Venice, did you visit Burano, Murano and/or the Lido? Did you visit a Scuola?

I've never been, but I think Lake Garda would be closer to Venice. Others can help.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

We did go to Burano and Murano for a few hours. None of the others however. I originally thought we would stay at a nice hotel the first night for our anniversary and then a nice dinner. Any romantic restaurants w good food would be GREATLY appreciated. Then go to like one of the resort towns for 2 nights and then back to Venice because our flight is from there. My husband thinks I am crazy and its too much.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 08:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'd just stay in Venice. It's such a short trip. To me that's about as romantic as it can get. Plus it will be different if you only saw it during Carnavale and so long ago.

I wouldn't want to "waste" time myself trying to go to a different place, then back to Venice for departure.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 09:08 AM

Have to agree with your husband. You got a cheap ticket to Venice. It won’t be cheap anymore if you spend more money and most of your time getting someplace else.

Your four nights is only three full days, part of your arrival day and part of your departure day. First day will likely be jet lagged. Last day will be very short, considering time to get to the airport and time going through security and waiting to board.

Getting to and from Naples or the CT would eat up more than one whole day, leaving only one day to enjoy being there and you would be exhausted. In September, Venice is really nice weather-wise with slightly fewer tourists. You already have beautiful water views. Why spend time racing around for something more romantic when, IMHO, Venice is about as romantic as it gets. You could always do a day trip to lovely Padua and have dinner there.

Old Aug 26th, 2019, 09:19 AM

It is a great time of year to visit The Dolomites. It is a short trip from Venice.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 09:20 AM

I agree it would indeed be 'crazy' to try to go as far as the CT or Naples. Definitely spend all four nights in Venice and if you want a day trip you can easily go as far as Verona (also Padua, Vicenza, or Treviso - all make good day trips).
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 09:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I see this more like 3 days. The arrival day never amounts to much, then the departure day you need to be heading to the airport (which takes some time in Venice). So truly only have the 12th, 13th, and 14th. If you spend two of those days going somewhere far afield (more than a day trip). You basically have no time anywhere!
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 11:59 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Forget Naples. Since you land in Venice, stay in Venice or in one of the towns in the Veneto- Padua, Vicenza, or Bassano de Grappa. Or immediately upon landing, rent a car and go up into the beautiful Dolomites.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 12:03 PM

The Dolomites came to mind when I first read your post.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr View Post
Or immediately upon landing, rent a car and go up into the beautiful Dolomites.
Terrible idea, and a dangerous one.
Stay in Venice, relax, enjoy your time there.
Have a wnderful anniverary and take time to recover from what sounds like a tough year.
Less is sometimes (usually) more.

Old Aug 26th, 2019, 01:35 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
As you're leaving in just 2 weeks, have you checked lodging availability in Venice in your budget range and preferred location.

The only way I'd consider the Dolomites is if I could do something like this:

Day 1. Land at VCE. Train to Bolzano. Most trains take about 3 hours and involve one connection at Verona. There is a direct, no connection, train leaving Mestre at 2:00p and arrives at 4:30p (2.5 hours). Spend the night in Bolzano.

Day 2. Rent a car and drive to Ortisei or Corvara the longer, slower way via Lago di Carezza, and Val di Fassa. Spend the night in Ortisei or Corvara.

Day 3. Explore the Ortisei or Corvara area, perhaps take a cable car, do a short hike, or drive to Val di Funes for the scenery. Stay another night in Ortisei or Corvara.

Day 4. Drive to Cortina, make a couple of stops or detours along the way for scenery, etc. Perhaps continue beyond Cortina to Lago di Misurina before returning to Cortina. Stay the night in Cortina or return to Corvara or Ortisei.

Day 5. Drive to VCE (about 2.5 hours from Cortina, 3 hours from Corvara, 4 hours from Ortisei).
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 02:37 PM

Honeymoon: "A traditional time of romantic relaxation to celebrate the wedding at some point after the actual marriage. Comprised of lazy afternoons, the giving in to natural urges and the utter disregard of formal timekeeping.'

Seriously Coleary, there are few ways guaranteed to wreck a honeymoon vibe more, than trying to stuff too much into 5 days. We have a great deal of experience in Venice (and you have been there too), so trust me when I state that the best plan would be to stay put and leave Como, Cinqueterre (our local bank-teller once baffled us by earnestly pronouncing it 'sinky-tear') and the Dolomites for next time, with more time. Restaurants? Dunno, maybe reserve Cipriani on Torcello, as much for the vibe, plus getting there and back (take the final boat back and sit at the very back/outside=very romantic) as for the actual food.

I wish you guys a great honeymoon!

I am done. The 'DO NOT DISTURB' sign.

Last edited by zebec; Aug 26th, 2019 at 02:37 PM. Reason: turbulence during Lear jet flight
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 03:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Not that it matters, but it's an anniversary trip and not a honeymoon.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 03:55 PM

I could also suggest popping on a train to Verona. Verona can be romantic; I find there's a lot to do there. but it can be very hot.
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 04:26 PM

We were in Verona (and Venice) last year and it was lovely. If you stayed in Verona you could rent a car and drive to lake Garda, take the train to Padua, and Vicenza (which we didn't get to but we will) but as others have said, I think the best plan is to stay in Venice for 4 nights.

Take a water taxi to your hotel; it's a great way to enter the city. We didn't get to the Jewish section but we will on our next trip there. Go and get lost in the back alleys. Sip drinks in a cafe along the canals. Walk past Peggy Gugenheim's resting place along side her beloved dogs and see the artwork she collected. Go visit the Horses of St. Mark's again if you haven't already -- the originals are inside. Go up to the roof of Fondaco Dei Tedeschi and admire the view.

Maybe you could search for posts from Peter_S_Aus if you need ideas as he has been there multiple times for long periods of time. You'll be inspired. Relax and enjoy your anniversary celebration; I wish you the very best! Have an Aperol Spritz for me and write a TR so we can read about all your discoveries!
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 07:03 PM

Thx for the correction Jean, I was not careful enough in my original reading. But my advice remains exactly the same for anyone in Venice for 5 days.
I am done. The midnight gondola.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 02:03 AM

IF you think you need to get out of Venice for a day, hop on any regional train towards Bologna and get off half hour later in Padua.
You cannot or need to get tickets in advance for that train and with two per hour you have full flexibility and can decide on the spot.
All this for just €8.70 pP return.
I'm not sure if the ticket machines will recognize the non-Italian spelling Padua, so just remember that the town is Padova in Italian.

While Verona is definetely on the radar of most tourists in Northern Italy, Padua is not so much - aside from pilgrimage tourism.
You can find some impressions or videos when you google for Padua visitor information or similar search phrases.

But, as said by others, why not stick to Venice as the main plan. And just have an easy excursion to the mainland if the desire should pop up when in Venice.
Old Aug 27th, 2019, 08:11 AM

I think your husband is right. This is a really, really short trip. You really only have 3 days - and that is nothing! Why mess it up zooming off to other places? It's not as though Venice has been incapable of enchanting people for months at a time for centuries. Romantic to me does not involve schlepping around on trains to get away from one of the most intrinsically romantic places on earth.
Old Aug 28th, 2019, 04:37 PM

Maybe one night or more to explore the cicchetti “scene” in Venice.

https://blog.mrandmrssmith.com/venic...de-best-bacari

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nyt...lates.amp.html

I’d look for great bars to start and end my nights with some Franciacorta or Prosecco!

https://theculturetrip.com/europe/it...ars-in-venice/

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information