Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

HELP on Positano hotels - better to stay near the beach or up higher?

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:07 PM
karen

Any suggestions on whether to stay in Positano up in the cliffs, so to speak, or by the beach area? We won't have a car, and want to go to the shops/restaurants, but also want it to be convenient to catch the bus to Ravello, etc. Need to know the "lay of the land" in Positano.

Thanks!

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:38 PM
Sue

There's a lot of walking up and down hills if you want to do anything there. We stayed "up", and I wondered if staying by beach would be better; concluded that only advantage would be if you wanted to be on beach all day. Will be interesting to hear what others have to say about it!

Apr 1st, 2002, 02:59 PM
Grandma

Was a while ago (seems like yesterday) when we stayed in Positano at the Poseidon... which is up. There was a staircase nearby which took us down to the beach area, then we took the bus back up to the hotel. the view from their pool was wonderful... so Up has its virtues. Don't know if the local bus we took also goes on to other towns in the area, but bet you could pick up something "downtown".

Apr 1st, 2002, 04:36 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

The town is vertical. Your choice should be based on your legs. Look at the Poseidon as an upper choice and the Palazzo Murat for a lower one.

Apr 1st, 2002, 06:53 PM
Susan

By far the best places to stay for the views are the highest, that way at night you dont just look at a black sea, you have the lights of the city that sparkle, and in the day you have the sea too. We stayed at Villa Franca and it had the best views.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:21 AM
Lesley

Positano is a vertical town. Most of it is inaccessible by car. If you stay at the top you walk down to the beach and the restaurants, but up again afterwards (and up is up, it's like climbing 15 floors to bed). If you stay at the bottom, you have to walk up for the bus stop; the town goes down to the sea from the road. (The view from the bottom isn't bad either, it's different from the view at the top, because you look along the coast. It's different, but just as dramatic.) There is no ideal answer to your question I'm afraid.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:49 AM
michelle

What I found memorable about Positano were not the beaches, but the views. We stayed on top at Villa Franca and loved it. Part of the joy was walking down and down and down throught the town and discovering corners and street scenes we wouldn't have seen if we had stayed at the bottom. I would never have found the 3 local guys playing music outside of Vicenzos after dinner one night if I wasn't 'walking up' to our hotel. We ended up staying 2 hours listening to neapolitan songs and watching all the people singing and dancing in the streets as we drank limoncello. What a memory!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 12:39 PM
karen

All,
Thanks so much for your advice! We are really looking forward to the trip. We booked the Villa La Tartana - the new place owned by the Villa Rosa, and will report back on it.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:29 PM
Lisa

We stayed at the San Pietro last year and it was fabulous. The views from every room were spectacular. Also, the rooms had huge bathrooms and huge balconies. The San Pietro is a bit down the road and is therefore not within walking distance to the city. But, they have a great shuttle service that will drive you in anytime you wish (they're always available and very kind). Also, it's only a 5 min. drive. Personally, I liked being away from the crowds. It was very peaceful but not at all inconvenient.

Also, while the S.P. is built into a cliff and therefore has the great views, they have an elevator that will whisk you down to the beach and tennis courts. It's a pretty incredible place.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:31 PM
karen

Lisa,
Thanks for the info on S.P! There are so many great places to stay there. Do you know if the ferries to Amalfi and Capri leave out of the Positano "harbor"?

Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:38 PM
Tina

I've taken the boat over to Capri from Positano. Departs from the beach in Positano; or at least that's where I caught in when last there a couple years ago. From the location pic on Villa LaTartana's website, it looks like you'll have a short walk down to beach & to the boat dock.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:43 PM
karen

Thanks, Tina. How about getting to Ravello - is that a bus trip, or better to take the ferry to Amalfi, then hop a bus?

Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:03 PM
Sue

We took the ferry to Amalfi from Positano, then short bus ride to Ravello.
Will be eager to hear from those staying at the new hotel owned by Villa Rosa; we stayed at VR last May, and thought it was great; couldn't ask for better views of mountains and the sea. Great little place; reasonable, too!

Apr 2nd, 2002, 02:12 PM
Tina

I opted for the bus from Positano to Ravello; however I recall having to wait for another bus as the first one that passed was full. And once I did get on it was standing room only.

Maybe others had an easier time of it. If you do go via bus, I'd suggest starting out early in day.

Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:45 PM
karen

Hi Sue,
I heard great things about the villa rosa. Do you think that we are making a mistake by not staying there instead of their newer place? I am now concerned that cars are not allowed down near the beach and we will have to carry our one suitcase per person!

Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:59 AM
Lesley

Your shouldn't have to carry your cases Karen. There is an underground tunnel from the lower part to the part which can be reached by traffic. The hotels are supposed to send your bags (either up or down) from the taxi/bus direct to the hotel. (Unfortunately, it's not available for use by people!) Check whether your hotel does this.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:08 AM
John

Has anyone seen or stayed at the Annex bldg.next to the Villa Franca? Does it have the same amenities,view,services and modern creature comforts? What was its proximity to the main hotel and pool? etc.etc.......Thanks..John

Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:18 AM
Nancy

Yes, I stayed in the Annex, very close to the main entrance to the hotel, a couple dozen feet away. We at first didn't want the annex, but when we saw the room, we grabbed it, the view is even better than just the sea only view, as you have both the city and the sea views. I love that hotel and the annex.

Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:33 AM
John

Hi Nancy,thanks for the info. can you email me back I have additional questions and would like to write or even phone you for additional info.
thanks...John

Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:53 PM
Sue

Karen, I'd find out what arrangements hotel makes re getting luggage; you don't want to carry a bag down there, and worse yet, back up the hill. Along the walk way I saw some little motorized carts carrying luggage; I assumed they belonged to some of the hotels.
I knew Positano would be hilly, but I think I was unprepared for "how hilly"! It's a pretty place, tho, just not for faint of heart, literally! You will have a wonderful time, I'm sure.