Reload this Page >

Best risotto in Venice or Florence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:37 PM
kiki

Hi all,<BR>I LOVE risotto, and would like your recommendations on where to eat the BEST risotto in Venice and Florence! Also, I adore vegetable dishes with pasta, so feel free to throw those recommendations in too!<BR>Thanks.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:44 PM
T

The risotto primevera at Harry's Bar in V.enice was really good but expensive ($45.00 US)not sure if it was worth it

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:57 PM
Wayne

Try Osteria da Remigio in Venice for the best risotto I've had. I always get the risotto mare, which mostly has scampi if you'll ask for it. I had the risotto in Harry's Bar only once, and though it was good, it was way too expensive. You get to da Remigio by going through an alley between the Metropole Hotel and the adjacent church, then bearing left at every junction until you find it on your left after a walk of a few minutes. Your hotel can give you directions; it's a pretty well-known place, at least to the locals; not a big touristy joint.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 03:42 PM
peter

anything at harry' bar is overpriced. its a nice place to look at then go elsewhere to eat and drink.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 04:37 PM
kiki

Thanks, Harry. Does Osteria da Remigio have other risotto dishes than scampi?

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:33 PM
Joelle

The best risotto we had in Venice was at Da Ivo (however very expensive).<BR>The one at the Antica Bessetta was excellent as well.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:36 PM
kiki

Joele,<BR><BR>Where is Antica Bessetta located and is it expensive too? Thanks.<BR><BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:05 AM
Monica

We enjoyed some very good meals in Venice last November. <BR><BR>Trattoria Ai Cugnai<BR>S. Vio, Accademia No. 857, Venice<BR>Phone: 39-041-5289-238<BR>Closed Mondays<BR>Delicious seafood Risotto for two (most places have a minimum of 2 persons to make the Risotto); I also had fried calamari; Reenie had a veal dish. 95.000L/$44.92.<BR><BR>Osteria da Alberto<BR>"local tipico veneziano"<BR>Calle Giacinto Gallina<BR>Cannaregio, 5401<BR>Phone: 39-041-5238-153<BR>Closed Sunday<BR>www.mettingvenice.it/daalberto<BR>Delicious risotto with shrimp and rock salad and their steak (rare) with gorgonzola cheese sauce.<BR>Red house wine. 101.000L/$47.38. Paid with Visa.<BR><BR>For information on other restaurants in Venice, see my travel page: http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html <BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 05:28 AM
dean

Hi<BR><BR>Risotto is a Venetian specialty that is very common in the north, which are the rice growing regions of Itlay. rice is a specialty all along the Po valley where it is grown. My favorite Risotto was a seafood one at Fiaschetteria Toscana in Venice. <BR><BR>In Toscana itself, any risotto is indication of a foreign chef or of a catering to non Toscanni. It is not a sign of bad food, just not purely cucina Toscana. What is more prevalent is polenta. In fact until about 200 or so years ago pasta was pretty uncommon in Toscana. Go to Cibreo and try their polenta as a primi. Its drenched in butter with fresh herbs. Simple and wonderful.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:28 AM
kiki

Thanks all for your recommendations! Dean, I love polenta. Any other suggestions for restaurants that serve great polenta in Florence?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:59 PM
Sceptic

On please, next you'll ask where in Idaho you get get the best potatos.