Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Help On Golden Pass Train - Should I reserve a seat?

Apr 11th, 2006, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Hello,

This is my third post regarding my upcoming Germany Ė Switzerland trip. Iíll be traveling from Lucerne to Montreux and want to take the Golden Pass train. Iíd love some advice on whether I should reserve a seat in one of the Panorama cars and/or a VIP seat. I thought I saw a posting on Fodors some time ago regarding this same topic, but am now unable to locate it.

I have a First Class German-Swiss pass (5 trips in two months) and I know that there are small surcharges if I want a reserved seat and/or special car (I remember that much from that posting and from Rick Stevesí site). Iíve also website at http://www.goldenpass.ch/GPL/main.asp and find it a bit confusing regarding options.

So, please, oh kind, wise, Fodor postersí, what you think I should do.

Thanks.
Apr 11th, 2006, 01:47 PM

I suggest a reservation if you want to be sure of window seats for everyone in your group.

Everybody wants to sit by the window on that train don't they?
Apr 11th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi Bob,

Oh yes, everyone wants a window. At least the group only consists of me. Where/who should I call for a reservation? That's the part that's confusing.
Apr 11th, 2006, 04:00 PM

I think you can reserve it at any train station when in Switzerland, you could even try to do it from Germany.
Apr 11th, 2006, 04:51 PM

Will you be in Switzerland for a day or so before riding the train?

If so, you can get a seat.
I am surprised you cannot reserve a seat with the ticket purchase.

Of course I was in the country when I bought mine.
Apr 11th, 2006, 05:15 PM

Definitely try for the panorama coach..bigger, MUCH bigger windows.

In terms of the VIP seats, some of the trains have VIP seats at the very front and the very rear of the train; the front seats, if you can get them, are even MORE spectacular.

You can make the reservations when you get to Switzerland.

I assume you have already looked at the GoldenPass site:

www.goldenpass.ch
Apr 11th, 2006, 07:08 PM

The VIP seats go very quickly--when we tried to book them last summer, they were gone 2 1/2 months in advance. I would reserve well in advance--even just a 1st class seat (1st class was full on each leg of our trip last summer), using the GoldenPass web site--it is very easy and not too expensive.
Apr 11th, 2006, 08:36 PM

We used VIP seats. I think there were 8 of them at front and 8 at back.

Yes, I had to pay the Raileurope reservation fee to do this from the US because I had to make the reservation many many months ahead.

We travelled from Montreux to Zweisimmen. Our car was nearly empty except for the VIP section. The train travelling the opposite direction was jam packed with a tour group.

I thought the prettiest part was between Montreux to Château-d'Oex. Also in your direction, the zig-zag descent to Montreux with the lake view will be pretty, if you can get the forward VIP seats.

We also did Lucern-Interlaken in another type of panoramic train. We did not even bother to make a reservation for this one. In the direction you travel, Lucern-Interlaken, I thought the right hand side (as you leave Lucern) had better view of lakes. The train turned around at Meiringen, so that side is also the Brienzer See side even though on the map it seems to be the other side.
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for all the information. Since I'm leaving for Berlin on April 26th, I'll take my chances and see if I can get a reserved VIP seat when I'm in Germany. At the very least, I'll try for a reserved first class seat in the Panorama car for the last leg of the trip.

Fodor's folks are the best!