13th arrondissement apartment

Apr 13th, 2006, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

13th arrondissement apartment

I am serioulsy considering renting an apartment in the 13th arr this summer for 8 weeks. I've read that it's generally a nice and safe area located near the Latin Quarter. Any other feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Apr 13th, 2006, 06:32 AM

Can you post an address? From what I've read/seen, there are good parts and less-good parts in most any arrondissement...
Apr 13th, 2006, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

metro stop Place d italie
on Rue des Cinq Diamants
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:02 AM

That is right in the 'Butte aux Cailles' area, very quaint and popular for seeing off-beaten-path Paris. It's a walk I've had on my list for 2 trips, and by golly, we're going to do it next time.

Here are some nice references:
http://www.parissweethome.com/parisr...t_uk.php?id=59
http://www.flat-hunter.com/pdf/13th_arrondissment.pdf
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:14 AM

That's an okay area, I guess. There is a theater on that street as I recall, if you know French (theater in French language, of course), and some funky cafes or bars down on Butte aux Cailles. There is a popular bar/internet cafe down there, and bar with music (Folies en Tete or something). There are street markets on bd Auguste Blanqui and on ave d'Italie itself south of place d'Italie several days a week.

It is near some public and welfare housing, though (I think that is over on rue Bobillot), I noticed that, and the place d'Italie street market is not as gentified as some others in Paris, and there is some public housing in the area.

I think it will be okay if you are willing to accept a location that is not going to be as upscale and pretty and gentrified as some others, and want to settle into a regular life. If you have leftist leanings, so much the better, there are some leftie hangouts (a bookstore is one I recall).

Place d'Italie is kind of ugly, and there are a lot of very ordinary buildings around there, and a lot of that area is the opposite of quaint, although some blocks are nice. There aren't as many sidewalk cafes and things on ave d'Italie as in some other areas, but there are a couple. Some cheap stores for clothes, household goods, etc.
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much... Anyone else?
Apr 13th, 2006, 10:01 AM

here is an article I found that talks specifically about that neighborhood, I think it will give you a better idea

http://www.suite101.com/article.cfm/...f_paris/103235
Apr 13th, 2006, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help, Christina.