Reload this Page >

Help, not sure what to do!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 06:28 PM
OhNO

I'm leaving to italy this weekend, and checked the weather forecast in venice, which I will be there for 2 days sometime next wk. For the 2 days I'll be in venice, it showed that it will rain! I'm thinking of changing my itinerary to another destination for that 2 day instead of goin to Venice...but where should I go? I'm also going to Rome and Florence. Is it worth to go to Venice if it rain? <BR> <BR>Thx!!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:32 AM
Mary Ann

One of the risks and joys of travel is weather. Planning a route on weather predictions is risky (will they be correct?). Travel is an adventure and a risk. You have to go with the attitude that you are going to make the best of it no matter what. We have pictures of us walking in the rain in the Alps, high winds in Sydney, a bizarre picture of an overcast day while snorkeling. You just keep treking. I remember the last trip to Europe, weather forecast in the fall of 99 was for low 70s in Prague and Budapest. In both cities we had low to mid 80s. just be flexible. <BR>Granted sun is better. We were in Venice and were fortunate to have brilliant sunshine, so I cannot say how good or bad being there in the rain would be. But you can still tour the Doges Palace, the Museums the Basilica, eat at the wonderful restaurants. <BR> <BR>We did not go to Venice in 1984 due to logistics, and I always regretted it. <BR>Obviously only you can decide what is best, and it is your money. However, weather tends to be regional so you may have to make material alterations to your itinerary to avoid the rain. <BR>Good luck with your decision.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 05:42 AM
sylvia

Like most cities, Venice has loads of things you can do and see under cover. If you have never been to Venice you should certainly go. It is unique.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:47 AM
Richard

We "escaped" to Venice last November because it was the only region that had the least amount of rain at the time. Still it had light to moderate rain every night 3 days in a row. Every morning we were trapped in the hotel till 10-11AM because the whole city was flooded. We were staying in hotel Europa which has its own private mooring so we were able to get on a water taxi to Murano. With sunny days we were still able to enjoy Venice- proper walking on the narrow flood- gangplanks despite pedestrian long lines (It beats staying in the room). I can't imagine if the days were rained on as well. <BR> Venice is often flooded in the mornings because it is sinking below the ocean level, so the rain does have a significant effect. We did see the locals walking around in rubber floodboots, we wished we had brought ours.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 11:17 AM
Santa Chiara

1. I don't know where you are going to escape to, since it is predicted to be pretty stormy over most of Europe for the next few days. 2. If you have found a site that predicts weather with 100 percent accuracy, please let me know, because I want to invest my entire retirement funds. <BR> <BR>Venice would be one of the more preferred cities during rain because as someone else mentioned, there is plenty to do inside. I can't imagine changing an entire itinerary at this late date just because it "may" rain.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:24 PM
howard

Do NOT cancel your stay in Venice. It is one city that does not lose its magic or charm in the rain. In fact, it might even be more magical! Go, and enjoy one of the world's great destinatios, rain or shine!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:33 PM
janice

Go anyway! There are a lot of things to do - and it's heartbreakingly beautiful in the rain - very romantic, atmospheric, historic, I'm not good with adjectives, but trust us all on this one - GO.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:46 PM
xxx

Bring proper footwear for rain, a waterproof jacket and umbrella, but don't cancel Venice if you wanted to go there! It will still be Venice, and unlike anyplace else in the world.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 01:48 PM
xxx

P.S. And weather forecasts are sometimes (ofted?) wrong anyway.