Reload this Page >

Three days outside of London, no car

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2001, 03:20 PM
Lori

I'm looking for ideas for a three day trip outside of London for later this month, and I am considering everything from the Cotswalds to Edinburgh as possibilities. The difficulty in planning this (besides the limited time) is that we will not have a car. Thanks for any suggestions that you have!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 04:15 AM
Erin

How about a trip to Bath? It only takes 90 minutes by train from Paddington Station in London and you can use Bath as your base for day trips to other areas of the countryside. Check out this rail website for timetableshttp://www.great-western-trains.co.uk/ Good Luck.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 04:23 AM
Marilyn

Lori, I went from one end of England to the other by myself on a Britt Rail Pass. I have also seen the length of England by car with my husband and think I would choose the train again. If you want more info, you can e-mail me at home. As for which part of England to see - what are your interests? Hiking, Churches, Stonehenge, Lake District etc? What fun you will have!

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:22 AM
sylvia

Go by train by all means, but there are still some delays because of safety checks. <BR>How about going by bus? You will probably see more of the countryside that way. Have a look at the Go by Coach website at <BR>http://www.gobycoach.com/ <BR>You can book online

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 06:29 AM
Lydia

I would second Erin's suggestion to visit Bath. This is such a beautiful, historical city and there should be plenty to do for 3 days. At a time when rail travel is still subject to delays, it's wise to minimise your train trips. In addition the current foot-and-mouth epidemic means that hiking, walking etc. through the countryside is largely out of the question, so it's better to stick to an urban environment.

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 11:06 AM
David White

Lori, <BR> <BR>I second the Bath suggestion and add another: York. <BR> <BR>York is about 2 hours by train, north of London. Its a terrific medieval walled city with one of the best cathedrals in the UK. <BR> <BR>Dave White <BR>[email protected]

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 11:06 AM
David White

Lori, <BR> <BR>I second the Bath suggestion and add another: York. <BR> <BR>York is about 2 hours by train, north of London. Its a terrific medieval walled city with one of the best cathedrals in the UK. <BR> <BR>Dave White <BR>[email protected]

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:04 PM
Tom

Lori - Rent a car for 3 days and try to get lost in the Cotswolds. Can't think of a better way to spend three days! <BR>Good Luck - Tom

Old Mar 2nd, 2001, 02:04 PM
Lori

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. I have a couple of follow up questions to your replies. First, train delays were mentioned - is this related to the recent train accident or is there some other reason for the delays? Second, if we end up visiting Bath or York, would visits to the smaller surrounding villages be compromised much by the foot and mouth epidemic?