Help me plot Paris metro route!

May 22nd, 2003, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Help me plot Paris metro route!

I will be going to George V from Charles De Gaulle Airport. Can someone familiar with this give me the best metro line and cost per person for the round trip. I can then follow it better on the map. Thank you.
May 22nd, 2003, 07:35 AM

You are staying at the George V and taking the metro in from the airport? That sounds like a contradiction to me!

Anyway, You take the RER B to Chatelet where you change to Metro Line 1 direction La Defense. I dont remeber about the cost. Maybe 8 euros or so one way.
May 22nd, 2003, 07:37 AM

The Metro stop for George V is on Line 1.
The RER, line B, serves Charles de Gaulle airport.

The two sysems, Metro and RER, intersect at only a few places.

From the airport, it looks to me like there is no good way to get to King George because you have to go someplace else first.

My suggetion is to ride the RER as far as the Chatelet les Halles station. Then start the marathon walk to the Chatelet metro station. As I recall it will seem like you might as well walk to the hotel!!
Once you find the Chatelet station look for signs indicating Metro Line 1, direction La Defense. The other end of the route is Chateau de Vincennes. You want to go toward la Defense.

The only other alternative I see is to transfer RER lines at Chatelet les Halles. Get on the RER A line toward La Defense. Get off the RER at Charles de Gaulle Etoile and transfer to Metro line 1, direction Chateau de Vincennes.
There are 2 changes rather than 1 on this route, but perhaps less walking.
My inclination would be to take the 1 change route.

In my experience, the Metro and RER interface stations are large places with seemingly endless tunnels and steps. If you are carrying anything other than light luggage, you need to be strong and have some endurance.
I don't recall any escalators from my trips to Paris.

If I had it to do myself, I think I would take the bus to the Garnier opera house and use a taxi to get the rest of the way. I don't recall costs.

May 22nd, 2003, 08:05 AM

The bus from CDG to the Opera Metro station/Auber RER station costs 8 euros.
May 22nd, 2003, 08:52 AM

I agree w/ MorganB. You can stay at George V and yet want to schlep your luggage on the Metro?? Just seems weird to me - but it is your money.

I'd take the RER or bus into the city and then a taxi to the hotel.
May 22nd, 2003, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. What a royal pain, not as easy as it looks. We will be in Paris for the day, as we have been there before. We want a coffee at Laduree inbetween our 10 hour layover at the seemingly wonderful CDG airport that Delta has screwed us over on, instead of our direct to Athens. We were going to put bags in gare norde and find our way to and from the Metro stop at George V on the Champs Eylsees. No more time in Paris as this was unexpected anyway. Thanks for the help it will serve its purpose.
May 22nd, 2003, 10:21 AM

My wife and I had coffee and pastry at Laduree one year ago (first time in Paris). I'd move heaven and earth to go back. <g> Since you're planning to check your luggage at Gare du Nord, then either of Bob Brown's two RER/Metro combinations make the most sense to me. If it's a nice day, you could walk from Charles de Gaulle Etoile to Laduree.
May 22nd, 2003, 11:20 AM

Footnote to my last post. Since you're going to get off the RER at Gare du Nord to check your luggage, here's a slightly more direct route you could take from there to George V. Take Metro line #4 direction Porte de Clignancourt to the first stop (Barbes Rochechouart). Transfer to Metro line #2 direction Porte Dauphine and go to Charles de Gaulle Etoille. Either walk from there or transfer to Metro line #1 direction Chateau de Vincennes and go one stop to George V. Since a one-day Paris Visite pass for Zones 1-5 costs 16.75 euros, that is probably your best choice. Adding up the cost of individual tickets from CDG and back with intermediate stops should cost that much--or more.
May 22nd, 2003, 11:43 AM

You don't need more than 1 metro ticket to get anywhere in Paris, unless you exit the system!

The www.ratp.com site has a route-finder you could try.
May 22nd, 2003, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you again. What was the dress in Laduree for a Sunday morning. Will our luggage be safe in gare nord?
May 22nd, 2003, 12:00 PM

My assumption is that Hayden will have to exit the system to check luggage at Gare du Nord and do the same when he retrieves it on the way back to CDG. As to safety, I've read that now all luggage is scanned and kept in a secure area at the mainline train stations.
May 22nd, 2003, 02:22 PM

I forgot to comment about waht to wear at Laduree. My wife and I were there in the evening and felt comfortable wearing "conservative casual" clothing. I'd dress the same way on a Sunday morning.