Search

Help me, please, decide between these apts. in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2010, 05:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me, please, decide between these apts. in Venice

Here are my options, and I have to decide soon:

First, Sandrelli, which has been described as a very nice apt. near San Marco. The living room has a mobile a/c that is permanently fixed in place, and the air conditioning "should go into the bedrooms" (which are on the same floor):

http://veniceapartments.org/castello...drelli_58.html

Second, is Stampalia, which has A/C in bedrooms, but seems to be quite far out - it is in Cannaregio, but it seems not in a location of the area closer to the tourist stuff:

http://www.veniceapartments.org/cann...palia_101.html

I could get these 2 apts. very reasonable. For 130 Euros more each night, we could do this one, but I'm not sure it's worth all the extra money:

http://www.venice-holidays.com/apartments.aspx?item=48

I appreciate all your insights, k.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 06:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
What month are you going? If it is to be very hot, then apartment number two will cool you off at night or you might be sleeping on the couch of apartment number one. Also, apartment number one has the dining area downstairs, does that have a/c?
Apartment number 3 looks nice until you look at the building from the outside. It looks like no windows on the ground floor and the third floor looks boarded up? So, I don't know if I would want to stay there.

a/c is important to me as I can't sleep with the windows open and the city noises outside. I am used to quiet nights and the hum and cool of the a/c. We stayed in austria two years ago with no a/c in several hotels. It was HOT. It was 85 degrees at night and with the windows open, I was miserable. A good night's sleep means a good day sightseeing. Just my opinion..
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 06:24 AM

I'm not impressed with either location of the two cheaper apartments, the second (Stampalia) is in a completely out-of-the-world location - don't even think about it. But also Sandrelli is not terribly conveniently located. The third one is another story, that's a nice AND convenient neighbourhood, but then, it's expensive. Did you notice that I recommended another one on your first (A/C) thread?
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

girlonthego- I agree with you re: getting a good nights sleep, and I am concerned about the AC as well. We are leaving soon, and the extended forecast is for highs around 80 and lows around 66. While not extremely hot, it is definitely AC weather for me!

The concern I have about apt. #2 is if it is too far away from the things we want to do.

Can anyone give me an idea of how long it would take to walk from apt. #2 to San Marco?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

franco - we were posting at the same time. I did see your recommendation on the other thread - we are a fammily of 4, and the apt. indicates that it is for 2-3 persons. It looks like a great place.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 07:00 AM

I don't think Stampalia is so inconvenient. In general I prefer to stay away from San Marco and the Rialto. Too crowded with tourists. All of Venice is not that big; as long as nobody has walking problems, you can walk all over. Plus this location is close to the train station so close to a vaporetto stop with frequent service. And you'll come home to your own little Venetian neighborhood. I remember a local street market along the Rio Tera San Leonardo.

I looked this up on www.viamichelin.com, specifying on foot. It said from this apartment to Piazza San Marco is 1.3 miles or 32 minutes. So I guess you have to decide if that's too far.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 07:05 AM

I actually like the #2 Sandrelli location better than the most expensive #3. #3 is right in the San Marco hubbub--I prefer to actually stay in a quieter neighborhood. #2 is toward a quieter section without being totally removed from the action, and there are a number of good restaurants in that neighborhood. (#1 is very removed.)
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 07:55 AM

I'm with Mimar - do you like to walk? If so, Stampalia is in a great neighborhood with lots of restaurants close by, the ghetto is up there, the Fondamente Nove... You can hop on the vaporetto to get pretty much anywhere from up there. It is also very convenient to the train station, if you will be going anywhere on the train.

If you want to see a lot of the sights, but be close enough to your apartment that you can dash in and out then probably the one in San Angelo is best. But if you can plan to be out for several hours before returning home, northern Cannaregio is pretty awesome.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 08:07 AM

Well, it all depends on how well you know Venice. If you're a Venice old hand, staying in a neighbourhood like the one of Sandrelli (#1) can be nice; still, I wouldn't consider Stampalia (#2), that's really on the back of beyond. If I were to live in Venice, yes, then this would be a neighbourhood I'd seriously consider. As a tourist, wanting to explore the city, definitely not. Half an hour to the Piazza is correct, for me. For somebody who doesn't know the city very well, it could be considerably more. But 2 hours a day just walking to and from the apartment (supposing you'd want to come "home" at some time for or after lunch) is too much IMO. And taking the vaporetto increases travel time to the center - they're soooo slow.
On the other hand, I strongly oppose the S. Marco bashing that's becoming common. If you know Venice, then you'll also know that everywhere, the crowds are moving along very few lanes - turn around one or two corners, and you have the city for yourself. This is of course also true in the S. Marco district, and particularly around S. Angelo - S. Stefano. I oculd guide you into corti and calli around there that haven't been touched by any tourist's foot in half a year or more. (The one you have found, karens, is on the Campo, however. IMO, that's not a bad location, either. I'd call it lively, but not crowded.)
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 08:12 AM

PS the ghetto in Venice is a historical area, also a very beautiful and peaceful one. Just in case.. I wouldn't want you to get the wrong idea by using that word.
Old Jun 19th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, all, it is interesting to read all the replies.

I do not mind walking, and neither does my husband, but we are with 2 teen boys. While they are certainly capable of walking, I think it would be nicer to be more centralized.

Is anyone thinking the mobile A/C just in the living room will not be sufficient for 80 degree Venice days?

miramar - I did not know you could put in distance by walking on viamichelin - thanks for letting me know about that. I know we are not very close in our next location (outside Sirimione), so I will check just how far we are.